IASW Introducing Dolls in Wheelchairs

John park hopper

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.
I would say it is near impossible to recognize every dare a I say handicap seen and unseen for children as well as adults. Disney is damned if they do damed if they don't

VJ

OK, I thought I read on the Disneyland website and when I saw Marty Sklar speak at both of his book signings that is was created by Walt for the UNICEF organization, and Walt solicited corporate sponsors to defray the costs and Pepsi stepped up to the plate, and to reward them, Walt allowed Pepsi to be sold in Disneyland , but if that's what you're saying, I guess we all stand corrected...thanks for the info!
Pepsi (in addition to Coca-Cola, on opposite sides of the park) was sold at Disneyland and Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom from their respective openings until Coca-Cola struck an exclusivity deal with Disney in 1990. That exclusivity deal stayed in place worldwide until the opening of Shanghai Disney Resort in 2016 - Pepsi is exclusively served there.

AndyS2992

Disneyland Paris's Small World has been closed for over a year now so big changes seem likely inside despite being no news so it opening with characters, including Avatar ones, seems plausible I suppose, I don't mind the characters but Avatar doesn't fit.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Communities are not monolithic. I'm sick of "you can't say X, you have to say Y." Or "you have to say X, but only if you capitalize it." Or "you can't say Z Person, you have to say Person Experiencing Z-ness." Or "I know that five years ago we bullied you into saying X but we rethought it and X is offensive now."

Intent matters. If someone says something in good faith, I'm not going to hold them to some impossible standard that they have to keep up-to-date on a glossary of terms that serves no purpose beyond keeping adjunct faculty, grad students, and tumblristas occupied Online.
way to start a forest fire with one slight disagreement post. 😂

Last edited:

solidyne

Also, nothing about small world indicates the message is about a utopia. It’s about being the “same,” despite our cultural differences, and togetherness.
I've always thought the final scene was supposed to be a heaven/utopia, or at least a peaceful joining of all nations.

(Not saying wheelchairs shouldn't be there; just curious about interpretations of the final scene.)

Heaven and utopia are not synonymous, of course, and neither really captures what the final scene represents.

DisneyCane

Perhaps they could make this addition to a ride that doesn't torture the guests who ride it. I know it's a Disney classic but every 5 or 10 years when I decide to make a nostalgia ride I feel like I'm trapped in the invention of a James Bond villain!

Castle Cake Apologist

Obviously the Avatar doll. Cmon man, how does ‘your’ response add to the conversation? It’s clear all you want to do here is cause issues and/or get people riled up to stroke your own pride & ego.

If that's what @Captain Neo was referring to, then I feel like they should have used the quote feature on the post showing the Na'vi doll. Otherwise, it just reads as their opinion of the dolls in wheelchairs, since that's what the thread is about.

I think @_caleb was just (understandably) asking for context. I can't imagine how you jumped to him just wanting to "cause issues and/or get people riled up to stroke his own pride & ego."

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom