IAAPA and Disney

PorterRedkey

Original Poster
So IAAPA (International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions)in Orlando has wrapped up and I am wondering if Disney attended. If they did, does anyone know what they were impressed by?

I am watching some YouTube vids from Coastercrew and I just can't help seeing some of this tech in future Disney attractions. I am wondering if anyone knows if Disney is thinking this way also.

Is more of Disney's tech home grown from WDI or outsourced? I know they have worked with other companies in the past, but I thought the majority of the ideas were in-house. Soarin' is the latest in-house example I can think of.
Here's a link to CoasterCrew's YouTube page: https://www.youtube.com/user/coastercrew?feature=watch

I am not in any way affiliated with them, but I did enjoy watching their interviews. So you might too.

lazyboy97o

Disney is a member of IAAPA and while they do not have a booth on the show floor, they do participate in the conference and other events held during the week. A lot of these can be seen on the IAAPA website.

PorterRedkey

Original Poster
Disney is a member of IAAPA and while they do not have a booth on the show floor, they do participate in the conference and other events held during the week. A lot of these can be seen on the IAAPA website.
Right, I know they would awards for the BaTB dinning experience and participate. My question is: Does Disney look around and see all the cool stuff and say "I want that in my attraction" or " I can have WDI make something like that" or a third option, "Screw them, we're Disney, we sell nostalgia not attractions".

lazyboy97o

Right, I know they would awards for the BaTB dinning experience and participate. My question is: Does Disney look around and see all the cool stuff and say "I want that in my attraction" or " I can have WDI make something like that" or a third option, "Screw them, we're Disney, we sell nostalgia not attractions".
Are you referring to the Thea Awards? Those are given by a separate organization, the Themed Entertainment Association, of which Disney is also a member.

The idea of Disney acting just as Disney is sort of hard to quantify. Imagineers are able to attend and look at what is offered, but they're also not kept is isolation the rest of the year and unable to look at other developments in the amusement industry. There are too many people involved when it comes to Disney to have a clear cut cut case of somebody going to IAAPA and buying something the way that is seen and hyped in regards to smaller operations where a single person can do just that.

PorterRedkey

Original Poster
Are you referring to the Thea Awards? Those are given by a separate organization, the Themed Entertainment Association, of which Disney is also a member.

The idea of Disney acting just as Disney is sort of hard to quantify. Imagineers are able to attend and look at what is offered, but they're also not kept is isolation the rest of the year and unable to look at other developments in the amusement industry. There are too many people involved when it comes to Disney to have a clear cut cut case of somebody going to IAAPA and buying something the way that is seen and hyped in regards to smaller operations where a single person can do just that.

I am talking about the "Brass Ring" awards that were given out at IAAPA this year. Holy Land also got awards so, I am not suggesting they are on the level of the THEA awards. Here's the link from the Sentinal: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/trav...y-holy-land-experience-20131120,0,238542.post

Obviously artists are inspired by other artists. I just didn't know if Disney would go in and see something (like the Kuka-arm on a track) and buy that tech thinking I will use that in our (for example only) new version on Peter Pan. Is there every a display of new uses of technology @ IAAPA that is too cool for Disney to ignore. So cool that they have too snatch it before anyone else can develop it.

I know I may be thinking about this all wrong, but thanks for the dialog.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom