I was a day late and a dollar short, but EO still ruled!!!

DarthGrady

Original Poster
I recall posting a thread on here last year right after we lost MJ asking if Disney would bring back Captain EO as a tribute. I'm sure you all understand how exciting it was when they announced this would be the case. As a fan of all things old school EPCOT Center I was thrilled, and vowed to be there to see MJ in all his EO glory on (re) opening day. Well it turned out that life had other plans, and I couldn't make it due to some unforeseen issues. But today I finally got a chance to head down to EPCOT after three and a half moths of anticipation.

After sitting through two showings of one of my absolute favorite EPCOT Center attractions I am utterly amazed.

I think Bart Simpson said it best after seeing his coolest thing ever: "Wow, I will never wash these eyes again!" :sohappy::sohappy:

It was just so awesome to know that not only is HISTA gone, but I was actually sitting there seeing Captain EO at EPCOT again after nearly twenty years. The show was excellent. I was impressed that they re themed the theater instead of just removing the HISTA garbage. I think the whole show is actually better now. I missed the lasers, but the moving floor was nice. My great hope is that Disney execs are as slow to replace EO (again) as they were in eliminating the abomination that was HISTA.

Of course the rest of the day was overshadowed by EO, but I still had a great time. I noticed that most of the Kodak stuff is gone from Imagination, as well as most of the equipment in the "new" Imageworks. I can think of no better time to refurbish and reopen the real Imageworks upstairs. ;)

The Food and Wine Festival is in full swing and crowds were moderate. Most wait times were 20 minutes or less, although I never made it over to Future World East.

Other high points of the day were my two rides on SSE. I downloaded Martin's awesome recordings of the "Irons" and "Cronkite" versions to my mp3 player. A set of headphones later I was kicking it old school on SSE! This was really sweet. The audio still syncs up just fine with the exception of the final scenes, and it has the added bonus of drowning out Judi Dench's incessant jabbering. I don't think I'll ever ride SSE again without Jeremy or Walter telling me the story! Thanks Martin! :sohappy:

Thats about it, just wanted to share my good times. I snapped a few pictures which I will upload and share tomorrow.

sweetpee_1993

Not been a MJ fan since I was about 8...wasn't impressed with EO when it made it's initial run...think anyone, let alone a company/theme park, cashing in on someone's death is a little disgusting and blatantly tasteless...so was never onboard with EO's return. Can't get with ya on that point. No, I'm not a HISTA fan, either. Never was. The part of that film with the vermin running on the floor was the clincher for me. The only time I ever watched the film I saw the vermin and said out loud, "Oh h-ll NO," and immediately pulled my feet up under my bottom. Haven't been in there since.

However, I hadn't thought about this brilliant little bit about downloading Walter's narration for SSE and using it as an alternative to Judy while experiencing the attraction. Now THAT is awesome! Judy doesn't really bother me. I just think I would enjoy the nostalgia in hearing Walter's voice again. Soooo, I'm with ya on that little gem. Thanks for sharing that! :wave:

jac07024

I saw EO for the first time on Sunday (on my 25th trip) and I loved it. My family wasn't so fond of it, but it was vintage! Who doesn't enjoy a 3-D michael jackson dance sequence?

Susan Savia

I've never been a Michael Jackson fan, but I did love Captain EO and am excited and looking forward to seeing it again after the long absense.

GeoDonJac34

I consider myself somewhat a Michael Jackson fan, and saw EO for the first time last week. My wife liked it, but my comment to her was " I want the last twenty minutes of my life back". Considering suing Disney for it. joking
I would rather HISTA, myself.

DarthGrady

Original Poster
Here are a few shots from yesterday:

232323232%7Ffp43369%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3C%3B93%3A257326nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp4334%3A%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3C%3B93556%3B326nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp43353%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3C%3B93558%3A326nu0mrj

DarthGrady

Original Poster
There was actually a diver in the lockout chamber! I haven't seen it used since the good ol days of Seabase Alpha!

232323232%7Ffp43357%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3C%3B93%3A266326nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp4343%3A%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3C%3B935595326nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp43447%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3C%3B935586326nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp43442%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3C%3B935597326nu0mrj

MUTZIE77

I consider myself somewhat a Michael Jackson fan, and saw EO for the first time last week. My wife liked it, but my comment to her was " I want the last twenty minutes of my life back". Considering suing Disney for it. joking
I would rather HISTA, myself.

I am with you, I saw it for the first time on saturday and I thought it was awful and a total waste of time. I think I would rather sit in a dark theater for 20 minutes. I guess it depends on how big of an MJ fan you are.

DarthGrady

Original Poster
I am with you, I saw it for the first time on saturday and I thought it was awful and a total waste of time. I think I would rather sit in a dark theater for 20 minutes. I guess it depends on how big of an MJ fan you are.

I think thats mostly it.

I like it so much due to a combination of EPCOT Center nostalgia and MJ fanaticism; but I certainly wouldn't expect everyone to feel the same way.

pumpkin7

you can if you go and see 'sounds dangerous with drew carey' at mgm lol.

i'm glad they bought back captain EO. i never got to see it the first time round, and i remember them showing clips of it during the opening of euro disney, not understanding what it was about. saying that, in 1992, i was 3 so i think it's pretty good that i can remember clips at all.
although i enjoyed the visual aspect of it, and the fact that it was a lovely piece of 80's design, i felt they had lost a lot of the effects used in HISTA and could have added a lot more. i was still excited by it, although my husband wasn't impressed at all.
fab idea to bring it back!

adv.bluedude

There was actually a diver in the lockout chamber! I haven't seen it used since the good ol days of Seabase Alpha!

I saw them in there when I went in July. I think it may have been the first time seeing someone in there(as far as I remember.)

As for Captain EO, I absolutely hate MJ but I loved this show when i saw it for the first time in July. Hopefully it will stay for a while

sueuk

I saw Captain Eo at DLRP (then EuroDisney) in the 90's - I didn't think much of it then, but I look forward to seeing it at WDW next year if it's still on, just out of curiosity. HISTA needed replacing, so it's a good stop gap.

Oddysey

Not always true. I have never been a fan of MJ, but I really like EO. It exceeded my expectations because I went in the theater thinking I wouldn't really like it.

Tink313

My 15 year old daughter went into Capitan EO kicking and screaming (okay exaggerating a little...:lookarounbut not really). She just knew it was going to be horriable and was planning her not so nice jokes. However when we left the theather not one crack, silence:confused:.

Oh how she tried to hide it but by the end of our trip she was beggin for Capitan EO merch. Its her new must due.:ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom