I think it was a mistake to take away those mcdonalds fries stands in the parks.

Jon81uk

I'm assuming Starbuck isn't much different in price, and that may be the case. If that is the case then its probably because Starbucks is selling overpriced coffee that costs pennies... Whereas a McDonalds is selling food with a very small margin which is why it is so cheap. If Disney is charging a very high rental for the space the Starbucks can easily afford that extra rent as it is like simply increasing the cost of the coffee it sell by a dollar or so... not a problem if you were making 3 or more dollars margin before... but if you were McDonalds that was making very little on some items you would be selling at a lose and couldn't stay in business without raising your prices.

It is also possible that Starbucks may have been given a special rate by Disney to get them into the park because they thought it would be a draw to visitors... While they might do the same with McDonalds, why would they do that when the McDonalds would be competing against their own burger and fries in Tomorrow Land? I don't think they would give McDonalds any price breaks so you would see your prices go up.

Starbucks franchises vary massively in price anyway. I think I paid double in Vegas compared to San Francisco. From memory the Disney prices are comparable, maybe even cheaper than Vegas, but if you went to downtown Orlando I expect it would be significantly cheaper than at Disney.

ppete1975

Oh I think the effect of the Super Size me film was quite short-lived. But at the time, McDonalds wanted more freedom to work with Dreamworks on promoting other films in Happy Meals and also Disney maybe didn't see McDonalds as the best fit in the park.

But I do agree that despite all the "Mickey Check" meals and everything done to make the kids meals healthier at Disney, the adult meals are still generally pretty unhealthy.
I also think Disney said something about they are ok with mcdonalds and the decisions they have made recently regarding healthy options and that's why they redid the happy meal agreement

Jon81uk

I also think Disney said something about they are ok with mcdonalds and the decisions they have made recently regarding healthy options and that's why they redid the happy meal agreement

But there isn't any exclusivity on Happy Meals. The previous agreement was that the only movie toys McDonalds could use were Disney (so no DreamWorks or similar). Now they are still using Disney and other studios as well. For example they have recently had a Trolls Happy Meal toy and that film is distributed by Universal.

ppete1975

But there isn't any exclusivity on Happy Meals. The previous agreement was that the only movie toys McDonalds could use were Disney (so no DreamWorks or similar). Now they are still using Disney and other studios as well. For example they have recently had a Trolls Happy Meal toy and that film is distributed by Universal.
oh I agree, I was commenting on the super size me, I guess for around 12 years Disney wouldn't allow mcdonalds to use them for happy meals. They said it was healthy but I think there was hurt feelings after the 96 agreement fell apart.

fireworksandfairytales

In the Parks
No
I would love for them to bring back McDonald's in the parks!

Growing up I used to love getting McDonald's from the Refreshment Port and then grabbing a spot for IllumiNations. It was the perfect pre-fireworks treat :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom