I said I wasn’t going to do this

ChanceH

Original Poster
but just booked our 2018 trip. But we are only doing 2 days and 2 days at Universal. Wife’s family wanted to go and so did wife for our anniversary so we’re headed there in May. Should be hot and fun as always.

John park hopper

Early May for us this past year the weather was perfect cool front came through mid 70's day 50's at night. Crowds during the week were light. Hope you have the same

ChanceH

Original Poster
We will be there may 6-11 so I’m hoping so. Either way I’ve seen them walk on rides and 3 hour waits. It’s still disney and I still love it.

JIMINYCR

Congrats on booking an Anniversary trip, it will be a great month to celebrate the occasion. We'll be there at the same time, arriving May 2nd and staying to the 16th.

Walt Disney1955

but just booked our 2018 trip. But we are only doing 2 days and 2 days at Universal. Wife’s family wanted to go and so did wife for our anniversary so we’re headed there in May. Should be hot and fun as always.

I never understand the people that go year after year to Orlando and perhaps stay on site at Disney but have never been to Universal. It astounds me. How can you not drive 10 miles to something nearly as good of an experience as Disney World? Or Sea World for that matter. Or even Busch Gardens is just over an hour. I am always surprised the people on here who not only have never been to Universal, but are dismissive towards it. I don't know how you can love Disney and not Universal too. When we go in 2018 I will be doing two days at Universal too.

ChanceH

Original Poster
My family and I love universal. I have no loyalty to Disney or universal, they don’t know me As anything more than an extra money bag. I love the experience and that small time away from reality. I’ve never understood that mentality myself where Uni is the enemy. But this is a Disney forum.

Walt Disney1955

My family and I love universal. I have no loyalty to Disney or universal, they don’t know me As anything more than an extra money bag. I love the experience and that small time away from reality. I’ve never understood that mentality myself where Uni is the enemy. But this is a Disney forum.

I suppose if you were on a Boston Red Sox forum they'd hate the Yankees too. But to me I can't understand how you can dislike Universal if you love Disney. It is similar to the people that choose to only ever go to Disneyland or Disney World and not the other one. Even if they have the money, some still won't. Not me, I say go!

MassScott84

I never understand the people that go year after year to Orlando and perhaps stay on site at Disney but have never been to Universal. It astounds me. How can you not drive 10 miles to something nearly as good of an experience as Disney World? Or Sea World for that matter. Or even Busch Gardens is just over an hour. I am always surprised the people on here who not only have never been to Universal, but are dismissive towards it. I don't know how you can love Disney and not Universal too. When we go in 2018 I will be doing two days at Universal too.

I can speak to that a bit. If we're staying on site, have 5+ day park hopper (AP now, but still the point remains), spending $400+ for 2 days at Uni is a lot of money. Granted they have the deals where you get 3 or 4 days for the price of 2, but that's then less value than we're getting from our WDW tickets.

As for loving one and not the other, isn't that just a matter of taste? Sure, they're similar in many ways, but they just aren't the same. Nostalgia is a big part of it too.

MassScott84

A season pass with the hotel discounts at Universal is a very goo deal if you go more then once. https://www.universalorlando.com/we...-passes/promo/index.html#2-park-annual-passes

Might want to take a look around at the hotel discounts you get etc. If you book a hotel there and were staying two nights the hotel discount will cover the ticket difference plus in the higher end hotels you get free express passes. For that matter they run different specials on hotels based on demand. For a couple of months a family suite at Cabana Bay was $139 a night.

To have Nostalgia you must first go there once.

First of all, I have been there once. I'm quite eager to go back after all these years. But I think you're smart enough to understand why a vast majority of people have more nostalgia and connection with WDW, Disney in general, and all of its various IPs. I'm not disagreeing that more people should give Uni a shot. However, you also can't argue that, much like Disney, it doesn't start being a good "value" until you're talking more than a couple days.

And just so you know, we were looking to do Uni for a couple days at the end of this month along with our WDW stay. 3 nights with 2 park days (we'd leave early day 3) was close to $1k.

The only asterisk that I will put on this is that as of early 2017 we are DVC members. So obviously that makes it a different situation as well. Though we are still figuring out a way to make it work at some point.

worldfanatic

I enjoyed our visit over to Universal Orlando. It was really cool to see (especially Potter), a very fun day.
But it wasn't close to the magic I feel within the "World". Not by a longshot.
I certainly don't begrudge anybody for heading over to Universal, Sea World, or elsewhere. I'll probably do it again someday.
But for now, I'm perfectly content staying within the WDW gates until it's time to head back to the airport.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom