I need advice from the biggest Disney nerd out there!

Bill in Atlanta

Disclaimer: I realize none of this is very interesting to any one else :), but I am in a Disney planning predicament and could really use some help from a "Disney pro"!

Long story short:

I'm trying to plan a family trip December 2016 through one of the DVC rental sites. Those sites require you to make your request for the resort we want (Bay Lake Towers) 11 months in advance. The problem is I won't know my December work schedule until April (I know I'll be off from a few days before Christmas through a few days after New Year's). If I wait until April to book, the DVC rentals will be gone and then I'll have to book through Disney, which is about 30-50% more expensive.

One thing I've considered is making 2 requests through one of the DVC rental sites that offers a cancel-for-any-reason insurance policy - one for my "desired" dates of mid-December, and another for late-December when I know I'll be off work. The downside is that I know I'll have to cancel one of them in April and eat the $250 insurance policy cost.

I guess what I'm wondering is, what's the best way to "hedge" my bets here? Is there an option I'm missing? What would you do if you were in my shoes? :)

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
I would request/book both because December is a very busy season for us DVC members and just eat the $250 once you know for certain your dates. That way you know for sure you have the DVC room you want at this very busy time for DVC members and regular guests. :)

Upvote 0

DisneyFans4Life

If you're off from a few days before Christmas through a few days after New Year's, why not just book to check in on like the 22nd or 23rd and plan to check out around the 3rd or 4th? Out of curiosity...are you a teacher? That sounds like a teacher's schedule lol.

Upvote 0

andy773

I think you'll have a hard time getting into BLT at 11 months through one of the rental sites. December is one of the most popular times for DVC and the rental place has to find a member willing to give up their 11-month booking advantage. A couple of years ago, I tried using two different rental places to get into BLT in April. After three months of them not being able to get me a reservation I went ahead and bought into DVC at BLT myself. I'm not saying you won't be able to get a reservation but don't get your hopes up; have a backup plan.

Upvote 0

Bill in Atlanta

Original Poster
If you're off from a few days before Christmas through a few days after New Year's, why not just book to check in on like the 22nd or 23rd and plan to check out around the 3rd or 4th? Out of curiosity...are you a teacher? That sounds like a teacher's schedule lol.

Yes we are teachers! Very good guess! Our district is very strict about us missing for mid-term exams so we have no flexibility once the calendar comes out in April. We would book the 22nd-the 3rd or 4th, but we plan on only staying 5 days and we are trying to go in the "slightly" less crowded mid-December (15th-20th) range.

I think you'll have a hard time getting into BLT at 11 months through one of the rental sites. December is one of the most popular times for DVC and the rental place has to find a member willing to give up their 11-month booking advantage. A couple of years ago, I tried using two different rental places to get into BLT in April. After three months of them not being able to get me a reservation I went ahead and bought into DVC at BLT myself. I'm not saying you won't be able to get a reservation but don't get your hopes up; have a backup plan.

Thanks for the info! If you don't mind me asking, is BLT the hardest to get via DVC? How does Wilderness Lodge or Boardwalk compare?

Upvote 0

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Yes we are teachers! Very good guess! Our district is very strict about us missing for mid-term exams so we have no flexibility once the calendar comes out in April. We would book the 22nd-the 3rd or 4th, but we plan on only staying 5 days and we are trying to go in the "slightly" less crowded mid-December (15th-20th) range.

Thanks for the info! If you don't mind me asking, is BLT the hardest to get via DVC? How does Wilderness Lodge or Boardwalk compare?

Wilderness Lodge and The Boardwalk would probably be easier to get because BLT, POLY, and GF DVC rooms everyone wants to be near Magic Kingdom to see fireworks or just be on the monorail line that week. Also Kidani Village/AKV, SSR etc would be easier to get to at 11 months out. :)

Upvote 0

andy773

A lot of it is just a matter of supply and demand. Grand Floridian has around 100 rooms; BLT has around 295; Saratoga Springs has 828 rooms. Guess which Is easiest and which is hardest to get into?

December before Christmas is a popular time for DVC members to travel because it costs the fewest points for a room. Something like Boardwalk is hard to get into during Food and Wine in the fall because of how close it is to Epcot.

Another thing to consider is the type of room you want. Studios can be tough to get because they are the cheapest points. Of course there are exceptions but I think generally a 1-bedroom might be easier to get than other room types.

I would try for the resort you want and hope for the best. Someone usually gets lucky. Just make sure you have a backup plan.

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

Hardest to get into would most likely be Villas at Grand Californian (at DLR). Only 48 units. Or maybe club level rooms at AKV Jambo House (only club level DVC rooms). But other than that, it will really depend on room type and season. BLT had typically been in demand due to its proximity to MK, but now that GF and Poly also have units on the monorail loop, it may ease up some. However, early December is really popular for DVC as it's lowest point season, and you can still see all the holiday stuff. So depending on when exactly the point season changes (right around your preferred date of the 15th) all DVC will still be pretty popular. Waiting until April to make the booking isn't the end of the world, unless you are 100% dead set on booking BLT. When April rolls around you should still definitely be able to get something at OKW or SS at a minimum, and depending on your room needs, potentially any resort.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom