I miss the old Magic Kingdom

Elgatovolar

Original Poster
The Magic Kingdom at WDW is still a magical place for me, but I miss the Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom from my youth. Back then the park layout didn't seem so cluttered with baby buggies and merchandise carts. Also I noticed not as many teenagers these days running from Space Mountain and Big Thunder, with a stop at the Haunted Mansion. I guess they now moved on to Universal for the bigger thrill rides. Also Disney was unique, now Starbucks and 3rd party vendors are everywhere in the park. I loved the big trees in front of Cinderella's Castle and the grass areas that have been replaced with a larger viewing area for those special events. I know they needed to do it, but change hurts. Recently an old friend and I went to After Hours to recreate past pictures from 35 years ago, and most of the areas have changed so much it was hard to recreate past picture memories. We still tried finding those old picture places that had any resemblance of our youth, and well. We got fat and old lol, but the pictures side by side look awesome. I loved the 1978 to 1982 time period, so if anybody has some to post, I would love to see them. Maybe I'll see myself in the background with my friends?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    106.4 KB · Views: 107
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    96.5 KB · Views: 104
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    102.9 KB · Views: 104
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 98

Goofyernmost

Here is a photo from 1983 in front of the Pinocchio Village Haus. Note that at the time they sold standard pre-made, cellophane wrapped subs just like what is currently sold in convenience stores everywhere. They were cheap, but, I prefer the made on the site ones.

img006.jpg

The picture is with my two daughters. My avatar shows me with three of their children. Also note that I haven't aged at all except for my beard turning white.

Scrungo

I can't fully relate to that lost era due to not being alive between 1978 to 1982, but I do understand that the parks have lost a charm for me. My times were the late 90s and early 2000s, and sometimes I feel like just 10 years ago the parks were better then than what they are now.

I feel like the New Fantasyland renovation was the beginning of the end for me. The parks now are just to popular for their own good. A slow season doesn't seem to exist anymore with hundreds of thousands of International guests constantly cycling in and out, it's just harder for a local to enjoy an unplanned quiet day at Disney now due to how much of a hassle it is to even walk around the parks.\

My biggest issue with the company these days is how there's no longer this sense of humility and humbleness that there use to be. Now everything is getting plastered constantly with IPs to make them even more money while parading around with this false mask of perfection. The experience and presentation for me now just feels distant and manufactured.

EricsBiscuit

I don't. MK as it is is not at the level of theming it should be. They should completely refurbish every facade and attraction to bring it to the level of storytelling of SDL. While nostalgia is nice, sometimes it gets in the way.

The Empress Lilly

The Magic Kingdom at WDW is still a magical place for me, but I miss the Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom from my youth. Back then the park layout didn't seem so cluttered with baby buggies and merchandise carts. Also I noticed not as many teenagers these days running from Space Mountain and Big Thunder, with a stop at the Haunted Mansion. I guess they now moved on to Universal for the bigger thrill rides. Also Disney was unique, now Starbucks and 3rd party vendors are everywhere in the park. I loved the big trees in front of Cinderella's Castle and the grass areas that have been replaced with a larger viewing area for those special events. I know they needed to do it, but change hurts. Recently an old friend and I went to After Hours to recreate past pictures from 35 years ago, and most of the areas have changed so much it was hard to recreate past picture memories. We still tried finding those old picture places that had any resemblance of our youth, and well. We got fat and old lol, but the pictures side by side look awesome. I loved the 1978 to 1982 time period, so if anybody has some to post, I would love to see them. Maybe I'll see myself in the background with my friends?
Can I just compliment your fabulous outfits!

Everything is worse at the MK now. Except maybe the Teacup doors.

graphite1326

I miss Alien Encounter. One of my favorites.
I miss not having so many strollers. Really! the kid is like 9
I miss the low crowd times of the year, like Fall.
I miss "We want the redhead" and I haven't even seen the changes yet. I will be wearing my "we want the redhead" T-shirt when I go. (My DW is a redhead)

What I don't miss:
If you had Wings. Buzz is much better.
Mr. Toads Wild Ride. Just not my kind of ride. To me it isn't much different than Pooh (which I have only been on once).
Skyway. I really didn't like looking down on all the building tops and hidden areas. Kinda took a little magic away.

I miss Timekeeper but I also like Monsters. Inc. so I have to be neutral on that one. Change is good though. Keeps me coming back.

Goofyernmost

there is always a yearning for things past in most places. In this case i would agree though that the 1980s and early 1990s was the epitome of the Magic Kingdom. I too miss those days.
I'm guessing you were pretty young when you first saw the MK. It was good, but, it was nothing like it is now. Anytime before 1982 MK was the only choice so it kind of lacked for comparison.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom