• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

I miss non-IP attractions but is there anything you'd like to see adapted for the parks?

FlamingMonkey

Original Poster
The days of original, non-IP attractions. Sigh. But to roll with the times, are there any movies/tv/whatever you'd like to see adapted for the parks? Even the most ridiculous, unpopular inspirations?

- I have been wanting an old-school Hunchback of Notre Dame dark ride for ages.
- A much larger Clarabelle Cow presence because she's a rock star.
- A Hercules stage show because my goodness, such material!
- A Princess and the Frog restaurant (yes, the cruise line, but in a park)

FlamingMonkey

Original Poster
A Mulan show! Imagine the unique set, costuming, the I'll Make a Man Out of You number (they did this in the Golden Mickeys on DCL and I almost fell out of my chair in excitement). Especially with the movie's ties to MGM Studios...I'd love to see some more representation somewhere!
YES! I remember watching them create it on the Animation tour. Thanks for reminding me of its demise :( But a Mulan show would be fantastic. And acrobatic!

Captain Barbossa

I would like to see another POTC attraction that is based on stuff from the film series. The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow wasn't too bad, but I want something a little more permanent. Also, I wasn't super crazy about standing up the whole time (even though it was only like 10 mins :hilarious: ). An actual ride would be my preference, but would also be open to a stunt show, kind of like what they have in Shanghai, but much less cheesy/corny.

I still haven’t watched Avatar. I have been to the land at Animal Kingdom and I don’t know, maybe it’s because I haven’t seen the movie, but the land does not continue to wow me. I fail to understand why Disney paid money to use rights to a non-Disney movie when Hercules and/or Fantasia would work with fantasy creatures. They could have used the same mechanics for Flight of Passage, but instead you’d be riding your own Pegasus and could travel through Hercules’ land and also the Pastoral scenes from Fantasia. I love that part in Fantasia when you see them all flying and when I watched these movie when young, I wondered what it’d be like to ride the Pegasus. Let’s face it, the CGI on Flight of Passage looks fake, I may as well be travelling through an animated Disney movie.

Maybe there would be some Photo ops in this land where you could have yourself pictured as a centaur instead of an avatar (yeah, nobody looks like those). Maybe this is a little cheesy, but hey, you’re at Disney and those make your own Avatar figures and wear a banshee on your shoulders are cheesy too.

I think they could have added some kid friendly attractions here to balance Animal Kingdom out too. I just think it would add a lot of whimsy, be mythological creatures that most people on the planet recognize, and be based off of actual Disney IPs.

justintheharris

I still haven’t watched Avatar. I have been to the land at Animal Kingdom and I don’t know, maybe it’s because I haven’t seen the movie, but the land does not continue to wow me. I fail to understand why Disney paid money to use rights to a non-Disney movie when Hercules and/or Fantasia would work with fantasy creatures. They could have used the same mechanics for Flight of Passage, but instead you’d be riding your own Pegasus and could travel through Hercules’ land and also the Pastoral scenes from Fantasia. I love that part in Fantasia when you see them all flying and when I watched these movie when young, I wondered what it’d be like to ride the Pegasus. Let’s face it, the CGI on Flight of Passage looks fake, I may as well be travelling through an animated Disney movie.

Maybe there would be some Photo ops in this land where you could have yourself pictured as a centaur instead of an avatar (yeah, nobody looks like those). Maybe this is a little cheesy, but hey, you’re at Disney and those make your own Avatar figures and wear a banshee on your shoulders are cheesy too.

I think they could have added some kid friendly attractions here to balance Animal Kingdom out too. I just think it would add a lot of whimsy, be mythological creatures that most people on the planet recognize, and be based off of actual Disney IPs.
Pandora from Avatar looks a lot more beautiful and unique than Ancient Greece in Hercules. As a matter of fact, the uniqueness of Pandora might be the real reason the movie Avatar pulled the money it did. As a matter of fact, that's the other big reason Disney chose Avatar. They thought as the highest grossing movie of all time, people would flock to a theme park land for it. Time will tell whether that logic paid off. Pandora also strategically helped Animal Kingdom overall as it now can be a huge draw for nightlife at the park. Animal Kingdom used to close at like 5 pm or 6 pm but now it stays open til 8 pm at earliest and potentially even 10 pm during peak seasons because Pandora has now driven guests to the park at night. It's hard to find another franchise that would've fit this profile for Walt Disney World. Plus, the conservationist message of Avatar and Pandora fit Animal Kingdom quite nicely. Better than I expected certainly.

Pandora from Avatar looks a lot more beautiful and unique than Ancient Greece in Hercules. As a matter of fact, the uniqueness of Pandora might be the real reason the movie Avatar pulled the money it did. As a matter of fact, that's the other big reason Disney chose Avatar. They thought as the highest grossing movie of all time, people would flock to a theme park land for it. Time will tell whether that logic paid off. Pandora also strategically helped Animal Kingdom overall as it now can be a huge draw for nightlife at the park. Animal Kingdom used to close at like 5 pm or 6 pm but now it stays open til 8 pm at earliest and potentially even 10 pm during peak seasons because Pandora has now driven guests to the park at night. It's hard to find another franchise that would've fit this profile for Walt Disney World. Plus, the conservationist message of Avatar and Pandora fit Animal Kingdom quite nicely. Better than I expected certainly.
It looking more beautiful and unique than a fantasized Mt. Olympus from Fantasia and/or Hercules is a matter of opinion. It’s all fake either way. And like I said, it hasn’t impressed me, especially that boat ride. The land has not made me think of conservation (the rest of AK does better with this and that’s enough) or persuaded me to watch Avatar. It is more of a draw because it is new and has a highly sophisticated simulator rather than it is themed to Avatar. Look at Carsland in California. Fun ride from an awful IP. They just have to be more creative with IPs they already own, but they’re so lazy, they’d rather just keep buying others. The topic is what IP themed attractions we’d like to see and I personally think this would have been more amazing than what we received had they used their imaginations more. As it is now, I’d rather spend my time at Animal Kingdom in Asia and Africa and look at the real animals.

justintheharris

It looking more beautiful and unique than a fantasized Mt. Olympus from Fantasia and/or Hercules is a matter of opinion. It’s all fake either way. And like I said, it hasn’t impressed me, especially that boat ride. The land has not made me think of conservation (the rest of AK does better with this and that’s enough) or persuaded me to watch Avatar. It is more of a draw because it is new and has a highly sophisticated simulator rather than it is themed to Avatar. Look at Carsland in California. Fun ride from an awful IP. They just have to be more creative with IPs they already own, but they’re so lazy, they’d rather just keep buying others. The topic is what IP themed attractions we’d like to see and I personally think this would have been more amazing than what we received had they used their imaginations more. As it is now, I’d rather spend my time at Animal Kingdom in Asia and Africa and look at the real animals.
I certainly agree Disney had better IPs to adapt but your original post I sorta read like a question as to why Disney built Pandora over other potential IP lands. I think everything you've said regarding Pandora is rather true. Flight of Passage is the only real draw to the land and Cars Land is another good example. I personally don't want any IP based lands. IP based ATTRACTIONS are much better. In that regard, take out the Tomorrowland Speedway and put in a Big Hero 6 or Wreck-It Ralph attraction. (Yes, I know Wreck-It Ralph is potentially replacing Stitch).

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Premium Member
Me being a musical theatre nerd, here is my odd request: "A Goofy Musical." A stage production of the 1995 film. The songs are just too perfect for a musical! Maybe some new original songs as well. Would be a perfect musical to add somewhere in Magic Kingdom or Hollywood Studios.

My other musical adaptation ideas I'd like to see at WDW would be--

Princess & the Frog
Nightmare Before Christmas
Inside Out

I certainly agree Disney had better IPs to adapt but your original post I sorta read like a question as to why Disney built Pandora over other potential IP lands. I think everything you've said regarding Pandora is rather true. Flight of Passage is the only real draw to the land and Cars Land is another good example. I personally don't want any IP based lands. IP based ATTRACTIONS are much better. In that regard, take out the Tomorrowland Speedway and put in a Big Hero 6 or Wreck-It Ralph attraction. (Yes, I know Wreck-It Ralph is potentially replacing Stitch).
Maybe it was a question, but also something I partly knew the answer to. It was super popular at the time they had the idea, so they went with it and didn’t look back.

Attractions are better than lands, definitely agree with that, probably why I like Magic Kingdom so much. Take out Tomorrowland Speedway and replace it with anything, it has to go. Big Hero 6 and Wreck-It Ralph don’t get a lot of representation, maybe they could make it work.

Goofyernmost

Just wanted to point out that there is no such thing as a non IP attraction. Someone, sometime had the intellectual thought that was used for a show or an attraction. That could have happened while that person was a Disney employee or before they were a Disney employee or recipient of a large amount of money to let Disney use that idea. It is a bogus gripe based on nothing and made to sound like the world just ended. If Disney paid an employee to come up with the idea or later paid for a business or a right to use that idea. It is all the same thing. Without that we would not have Cinderella, Snow White, Pinocchio, Winnie the Pooh, Br'er Rabbit, Mr. Toad, Alice in Wonderland or Mary Poppins, among many others. Disney did not invent trams, monorail, ferry boats, river boats or 20K leagues under the sea. They (he) didn't even invent the theme park concept.

FlamingMonkey

Original Poster
Just wanted to point out that there is no such thing as a non IP attraction. Someone, sometime had the intellectual thought that was used for a show or an attraction. That could have happened while that person was a Disney employee or before they were a Disney employee or recipient of a large amount of money to let Disney use that idea. It is a bogus gripe based on nothing and made to sound like the world just ended. If Disney paid an employee to come up with the idea or later paid for a business or a right to use that idea. It is all the same thing. Without that we would not have Cinderella, Snow White, Pinocchio, Winnie the Pooh, Br'er Rabbit, Mr. Toad, Alice in Wonderland or Mary Poppins, among many others. Disney did not invent trams, monorail, ferry boats, river boats or 20K leagues under the sea. They (he) didn't even invent the theme park concept.
Semantics. Obviously, we're talking about attractions inspired by IP in Disney's films or television works. I mean, what was the point of your response? "A bogus gripe." HA!

Goofyernmost

Semantics. Obviously, we're talking about attractions inspired by IP in Disney's films or television works. I mean, what was the point of your response? "A bogus gripe." HA!
What is bogus is thinking that anything isn't an IP and having the closed minded opinion that if it didn't come from a desk located at TWDC then it isn't a good thing. It is such a gray line that it is almost laughable that anyone one would even mention it. It is pure BS. If it is a good story and Disney has acquired it either through a paid employee of TWDC, or the money that Disney paid to buy the company along with the IP or one that Disney paid the person that originated the IP is of almost no consequence. If it's good it is good. Not everything that even Walt created is a winner. Stop making mountains out of molehills. They have no relevance. You're right though, I think we should take Mary Poppins and burn every print. I mean Walt didn't think up the character or general story line. He paid someone for the right to use it. Yes, he put the Disney spin on it, just like they do with any current IP that they acquire. Sorry, but, if you want a bogus gripe you need look no further the train of thought by the alleged IP haters.

FlamingMonkey

Original Poster
What is bogus is thinking that anything isn't an IP and having the closed minded opinion that if it didn't come from a desk located at TWDC then it isn't a good thing. It is such a gray line that it is almost laughable that anyone one would even mention it. It is pure BS. If it is a good story and Disney has acquired it either through a paid employee of TWDC, or the money that Disney paid to buy the company along with the IP or one that Disney paid the person that originated the IP is of almost no consequence. If it's good it is good. Not everything that even Walt created is a winner. Stop making mountains out of molehills. They have no relevance. You're right though, I think we should take Mary Poppins and burn every print. I mean Walt didn't think up the character or general story line. He paid someone for the right to use it. Yes, he put the Disney spin on it, just like they do with any current IP that they acquire. Sorry, but, if you want a bogus gripe you need look no further the train of thought by the alleged IP haters.
When did anyone say that IP attractions are bad? Stop seeing the world so black and white. The world of color is a great place to be, I promise. We can criticize without dismissing. You can do the same.

Top Bottom