I like My Disney Experience but definitely want to vent about fast passes. Anyone with me?

COrunner

Original Poster
In the interest of not just out right complaining about the fast pass system I wanted to at least give some praise to the MDE app.

Pros: Wait Times - After buying apps previously to monitor crowds/lines, I really do think MDE is good as it can get with giving line wait times
Food: Again no real complaints, I've been able to make reservations and cancel without any real problems

Okay, now I can vent, FP+ is awful.

1. Disney trying to bring back 'tiers' to rides. I want to pull FP's at TSMWM, SDRC and RNRC because those are the rides I want to go on. No Disney I don't care that you think I should only pick one then get the pleasure of going to Indy Live and Muppet Vision.

2. Where are all the fast passes? I feel like FP+ has now become ticketmaster where every morning at 7a bots are grabbing every avatar/slinky dog or otherwise or there are just people that are taking 10+ vacations that overlap far enough out that I'll never get those. This is a third year we've done a short 3 day trip and had no access to the latest n greatest WDW toy.

3. For heavens sake let me overlap. You pull a pass at 9:35, then cannot pick another ride at 10:30... Seriously. I appreciate you being concerned that I should probably eat or shop or maybe my sneaker goes flat or jazzy runs out of batteries, but trust my ability to schedule my own time.

4. Finally if I pay to 'park hop' let me freaking park hop. I am fine if you are only giving me 3, I'll take a 9:00 SD, a noon frozen and a 3p SDMT

That was therapeutic. Anyone else want to pile on?

MileZXO

I think it's a bit different when your based outside of the US where most of us go for 2 weeks.. you do a section of a park, go back to the resort and rest for a bit / relax... then go back or go elsewhere and you only fit a few rides in... but I can see the frustration wanting to fit in a lot in 1 day with park hopping... I think WDW is slowly becoming difficult to do that with the new lands ontop of that.

COrunner

Original Poster
I whole heartily agree. I don't mind fp+ in general, but the points you raise cause my temper to raise. for me I have problems with topics 3 and 4 especially.
Agreed, when fast pass was contained within the parks and you didn't pick ahead of time it wasn't too much of a problem.

I do get unnecessary heartburn on my last 2...

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Sigh I could ride my favorite BTM 2-3 times no problem in FP queue in a day, and if I missed a window? No problem they took ticket anyhow....then would ride it again during a parade time with barely a line....or watching fireworks riding....awesome. Anyhow, it guaranteed if someone in the fam did the footwork we hit our favorite rides. Yes some people don't want to ride a certain ride 3 times....sure but it was much more flexible. Yep the overlap thing irks me to no end....and the tiers.....:bored:. Plus the little paper fp's make awesome memories and bookmarks.:angelic:I treasure mine.....:happy:
(Oh yes then there is the if money were no object and on club level I could fork over a bunch of cash just to get more fastpasses but still be subjected to downside of not being able to get more than ONE fastpass for same ride in same day....which would be reason I would consider paying more.....sigh):cool:

Last edited:

COrunner

Original Poster
Sigh I could ride my favorite BTM 2-3 times no problem in FP queue in a day, and if I missed a window? No problem they took ticket anyhow....then would ride it again during a parade time with barely a line....or watching fireworks riding....awesome. Anyhow, it guaranteed if someone in the fam did the footwork we hit our favorite rides. Yes some people don't want to ride a certain ride 3 times....sure but it was much more flexible. Yep the overlap thing irks me to no end....and the tiers.....:bored:. Plus the little paper fp's make awesome memories and bookmarks.:angelic:I treasure mine.....:happy:
(Oh yes then there is the if money were no object and on club level I could fork over a bunch of cash just to get more fastpasses but still be subjected to downside of not being able to get more than ONE fastpass for same ride in same day....which would be reason I would consider paying more.....sigh):cool:

Oh the year we did club level at YC was amazing. You want a FP? You text the concierge and they fire back what times you could. In the current environment it is almost making me drop the money again...

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Oh the year we did club level at YC was amazing. You want a FP? You text the concierge and they fire back what times you could. In the current environment it is almost making me drop the money again...

Is it 50$ PER person PER DAY for 3 days or $50 per person for 3 days....so like 150$ for 3 peeps or $450 for 3 peeps? Were you able to double up on things at all? I keep reading varied reports and cannot find anything official to even evaluate potential.:angelic:

COrunner

Original Poster
Is it 50$ PER person PER DAY for 3 days or $50 per person for 3 days....so like 150$ for 3 peeps or $450 for 3 peeps? Were you able to double up on things at all? I keep reading varied reports and cannot find anything official to even evaluate potential.:angelic:

We were lucky and prepay times when they were just testing it out on the club level, so just part of our room rate. I haven't discussed with anyone since who has been on a club level so wouldn't know. We were still treated like regular fast pass users (we wanted to go on test track and were getting ready to do soaring so we were told in order to get next available we'd have to cancel soarin'

LauraRose

Yeah FPs are competitive, stressful, and often seem just unfair. For instance, we stay off property bc my parents have a timeshare. I woke up at 7 AM 30 days out and still couldn't get FOP =( I'm sure they were all gone to people staying on property. It almost feels like we are being punished for not staying on property and honestly it does suck. However, FPs are still helpful and still a perk so I'm going with that.

I have to agree, from last year all my trips with my parents we stayed off sight and couldn’t ever get good fastpasses at 30 day Mark. I stayed on site may just gone and booked again upcoming May and the fastpass choices were so much better and we done everything without a hassle.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yeah FPs are competitive, stressful, and often seem just unfair. For instance, we stay off property bc my parents have a timeshare. I woke up at 7 AM 30 days out and still couldn't get FOP =( I'm sure they were all gone to people staying on property. It almost feels like we are being punished for not staying on property and honestly it does suck. However, FPs are still helpful and still a perk so I'm going with that.

My question is why did you ever think you WEREN'T being punished for staying off property?

Of course you are. It’s just way worse when the allow people to pre-fill the lines because they don’t have enough inventory to accommodate nearly what they get for a good experience .

Not just disney...you have to have the express pass for a lot of days at universal or you have no shot at not having a miserable day. And with the pricing, that means you have to stay in one of their hotels or you pay through the nose.

They monetize the rides in an “all you can ride” ticket (shocking I know...but the industry went to that standard in the 80’s) and people Don’t day no. So there is no solution.

In the interest of not just out right complaining about the fast pass system I wanted to at least give some praise to the MDE app.

Pros: Wait Times - After buying apps previously to monitor crowds/lines, I really do think MDE is good as it can get with giving line wait times
Food: Again no real complaints, I've been able to make reservations and cancel without any real problems

1. Disney trying to bring back 'tiers' to rides. I want to pull FP's at TSMWM, SDRC and RNRC because those are the rides I want to go on. No Disney I don't care that you think I should only pick one then get the pleasure of going to Indy Live and Muppet Vision.

2. Where are all the fast passes? I feel like FP+ has now become ticketmaster where every morning at 7a bots are grabbing every avatar/slinky dog or otherwise or there are just people that are taking 10+ vacations that overlap far enough out that I'll never get those. This is a third year we've done a short 3 day trip and had no access to the latest n greatest WDW toy.

3. For heavens sake let me overlap. You pull a pass at 9:35, then cannot pick another ride at 10:30... Seriously. I appreciate you being concerned that I should probably eat or shop or maybe my sneaker goes flat or jazzy runs out of batteries, but trust my ability to schedule my own time.

4. Finally if I pay to 'park hop' let me freaking park hop. I am fine if you are only giving me 3, I'll take a 9:00 SD, a noon frozen and a 3p SDMT

I’ll just go on record here by simply saying I hate Fast Passes! But I also hate having to book DVC 11 months out to get exactly what I want, and Dining 180 days out. Hell, I don’t know what I want for dinner tonight, let alone 6 months from now. I remember when planning a Disney trip was half the fun. Now it’s just a rat race to grab what you can as fast as you can.

johnnyrb

As someone who can stay on property, I plan out all vacations and we choose which parks my family will be visiting on a day-by-day basis - usually about 4 months out. That way, at the 90 day mark, we can plan our ride schedules to choose our specific FP+ reservations -- along with meal reservations. We've had to make last minute changes at times, but it's usually manageable, where we can get a late FP reservation, but not always. We're early risers, so sometimes we get on rides early where we have FP reservation later in the day, so we get two rides. But, planning all that in advance is something I don't mind doing -- others would disagree, and that's fine. I do agree that we should be able to spread out daily FP+ to multiple parks - perhaps make that a bonus of staying in a Disney hotel. We're going to Disneyland in October, and I miss not having FP+

philcan

In all the years we went we never spent the extra I think now it is 150 for park hopping. We were lucky enough to have enough time where we had a full day in a park and a backup day or more too. We normally spent open to close in a park so there was really no reason for it for us. Now we go back and nap mid day. Also we can now go during off peak season (whatever that may mean now). So it is not as crazy as trying to go Christmas week or July.

I’m not crazy about the fast pass now where you have to pick from 1 attraction or another. Though that may possibly make it a little more equitable & stand by lines a little shorter. However the old system had its issues too. Nothing like getting in the line behind 2 or 3 people in a tour group that all of a sudden produce 20 tickets to get 20 fast passes. They never seemed to do it quickly. Now I’m standing round for 20 min just to get a pass.

If you want to get the most out of a Disney vacation & you are paying a high $ you must plan, plan, plan. Disney wants you to stay with them so they offer some perks like FP reservations before the general public they have to. I do worry that they will turn to a model of pay for a FP. That will hurt the family that is saving for years to afford to go. To me It kind of tarnishes the magic to pay for perks. I’m still irritated about the parking at the resort crap. That was one of the things that separated Disney from the park down the street. The person staying at All Star Music had the same parking & FP chance at the person staying in the Contemporary. Make that a pay option then you may as well go to Universal. That’s just how I feel.

EthylCooper

I can't stand FP+. In my experience the wait times at the parks are back to as bad as they were before fastpass existed at all. You can't get two fastpasses for the same attraction, can't get a fastpass for the two best attractions in the tiered parks, and can't get hardly anything if you're making an impromptu trip. I'm making my first Disneyland trip in a couple of weeks and was thrilled to learn that they still have the much superior same-day fastpass system that WDW used to have. I'll be able to get much more done in a day there.

Dr_dealio

The only way Disney will even consider making a change is... well let’s just get on this horse and ride until they do!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom