I hear the Rise of the Resistance opening ceremony is going to be pretty interesting.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
They are actually quieter than you would think. It’s not like a hobby drone with small blades that buzz like a bee.

Indeed, when the Christmas-drone-show was in Disney Springs, we all joked about how the roar of the drones will drown out all other sounds. In actuality, I couldn't even hear any of the drones at all.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Indeed, when the Christmas-drone-show was in Disney Springs, we all joked about how the roar of the drones will drown out all other sounds. In actuality, I couldn't even hear any of the drones at all.
Well, that was, what -- 100 small drones about 50 - 100 yards away over the lake?

Movielover

*jiggawatts
download.jpeg

Jones14

So if the FAA were to turn around and say “okay, you’re good”, would Disney start doing a nightly fly by of these things? I wouldn’t imagine they would even ask the FAA about it if that wasn’t their end goal, right?

_caleb

I know the sound system is rented (and expensive), but if these drones have actually been purchased, wouldn't they be pretty cheap to actually run long-term? Obviously maintenance would be necessary, but the batteries charge before each flight, and the movements are pre-programmed. I don't see why the drones couldn't be a regular ongoing feature.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
So if the FAA were to turn around and say “okay, you’re good”, would Disney start doing a nightly fly by of these things? I wouldn’t imagine they would even ask the FAA about it if that wasn’t their end goal, right?

At the very least they would probably have to come up with a new launch site since the current one is in the parking lot. One of the pictures even showed some of the light polls taken down to accommodate this. This will work short term, but long term they would need a better launch site.

Darth Snips

LiterallyNobody

Original Poster
Has anyone heard anything about this?

TL;DR: The CM parking lot will close on nights of the 4th, 5th, and 6th. This might indicate the drones being used after the initial ceremony.

Likely will be flying all next week. As I said earlier, they have been trying to get it approved for a while. I will find out for sure tomorrow night when I am there.

Notes from Neverland

Glad to hear it may be more than just a one-time thing. However, for the price these things had to command, it's crazy it's not currently sounding like a regular thing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom