I hear the Rise of the Resistance opening ceremony is going to be pretty interesting.

No Name

I can not wait for apologies for doubting what I am saying in two weeks. I know they will never come, but I still can't wait for them...

I’m not doubting what you are saying.

Nor are many people. The problem you’re facing is that very few people give a care about what kind of big speaker they’re using for this one-time event, especially relative to what the thread title suggests. So it doesn’t matter whether you’re proven correct or not because people don’t care about the information.

If you actually say something interesting, and you’re proven correct, then people will care.

interesting information

We’re still waiting for it.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

Nor are many people. The problem you’re facing is that very few people give a care about what kind of big speaker they’re using for this one-time event, especially relative to what the thread title suggests. So it doesn’t matter whether you’re proven correct or not because people don’t care about the information.
Speak for yourself! I'm pretty interested in things like this. Each to their own.

I think its a dangerous situation for the forum if we shoot down anything that is said out of being "uninteresting."

n2hifi

As a Danley dealer, I am very interested in such things. That was the topic of our conversation in the office for awhile this morning.

LiterallyNobody

Original Poster

If you actually say something interesting, and you’re proven correct, then people will care.

We’re still waiting for it.

I think that fact that Disney is paying over $20k a week (I understand it is actually more than that) to rent the worlds largest subwoofer for FIVE weeks to open an attraction is pretty interesting and people should care. The fact that it is called The Matterhorn is even more ironic and funny to me. My original statement stands. Disneyland is currently not the only Disney park with a Matterhorn.

_caleb

Seems like one big subwoofer would need to be used in conjunction with other speakers to create a 3D atmospheric audio illusion, right?

LiterallyNobody

Original Poster
Seems like one big subwoofer would need to be used in conjunction with other speakers to create a 3D atmospheric audio illusion, right?

The subwoofer is for a VERY specific effect. Yes, it will be used in general with other speakers (I mentioned earlier that temporary AV equipment was setup), but many other subwoofers could have been used for that. Over $100k for one effect is mind boggling to me.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The subwoofer is for a VERY specific effect. Yes, it will be used in general with other speakers (I mentioned earlier that temporary AV equipment was setup), but many other subwoofers could have been used for that. Over $100k for one effect is mind boggling to me.

They could've just gotten the Pandora drummers over there hiding behind some curtains. Same thing.

Mickeyboof

For a company that revels in revolutionary cost cutting measures, I simply cannot fathom that they would spend this much on an effect. Both the drones and the sound accompanying.

The sound won’t even translate to video, which is the only thing this media event is catering towards. No one at that event actually cares about what they’re physically experiencing.

No Name

Speak for yourself! I'm pretty interested in things like this. Each to their own.

I think its a dangerous situation for the forum if we shoot down anything that is said out of being "uninteresting."

I do agree with you here but that‘s not exactly the point. It would’ve been fine if the information was presented as what it is. But the clickbait Matterhorn thread title and slow reveal is the first part of the issue, and that, I would hope, you don’t endorse. Even though it increases clicks, it’s unhealthy for the forum long-term. And I just noticed you did combine the threads, so clearly you do have a sense of what crosses the line.

The second part of the issue here is that LiterallyNobody is getting salty over the relatively lackluster response to his posts, which he takes as people doubting his information, but is more a case of people not caring. If you care, that’s great, but if we took a poll right now, you’d find yourself in the minority. And again, small information is fine, but LiterallyNobody shouldn’t get agitated that we don’t all find it earth shattering.

No Name

I think that fact that Disney is paying over $20k a week (I understand it is actually more than that) to rent the worlds largest subwoofer for FIVE weeks to open an attraction is pretty interesting and people should care. The fact that it is called The Matterhorn is even more ironic and funny to me. My original statement stands. Disneyland is currently not the only Disney park with a Matterhorn.

Perhaps starting your thread on the topic with a number like this rather than diverting people though clickbait would’ve left you more favorable.

Monorail_Orange

My guess would be that it's less for the sound (although I'm sure that's part of it) and more for the feel. I imagine a subwoofer that large and powerful will send vibrations throughout the area. Make you feel like something massive is happening and/or passing close by.
I thought this too, but doesn't that yet again cut against a translation to an effect captured by video? All this stuff to me just smacks of the kind of thing Disney would do on a regular basis for the average guest. It is rather stunning the amount of money being spent on this one-time fling when the focus should be on creating sustainable "permanent" effects. That whole under-promise and over-deliver thing. Instead, it seems set to over-promise with the media event and under-deliver with the real experience. I truly hope I'm wrong on that, btw.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
For a company that revels in revolutionary cost cutting measures, I simply cannot fathom that they would spend this much on an effect. Both the drones and the sound accompanying.

The sound won’t even translate to video, which is the only thing this media event is catering towards. No one at that event actually cares about what they’re physically experiencing.

Are you doubting this, because we have seen photos of the drones.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I am interested in the information that is being provide, I just take issue with the way it was presented. The OP would have gotten a better response if he had simply stated the information instead of being cryptic about it.

LiterallyNobody

Original Poster
Perhaps starting your thread on the topic with a number like this rather than diverting people though clickbait would’ve left you more favorable.

I do like my eggs with a dash of salt..

In any case, let me apologize personally to you for thinking that Disney renting an incredibly engineered piece of sound equipment, the only of its kind anywhere in the world, for an event opening deserved a thread of its own. On top of that the incredible irony of it being named the Matterhorn was too good to pass up.

If I have personally offended in any way, shape, or form for this, I humbly apologize. Please do me a favor though, put me on ignore so you don't have to bother scrolling through any more of my clickbait. I would hate to offend you again.

Smooth

1574459541666.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom