I found Poseidon, now where's Hercules?? Greece trip report.

eliza61nyc

Original Poster
Well it's here, we are hanging out with the " God's" in beautiful Greece. Cast of characters,. The Golden Girls"

MVIMG_20190915_115632.jpg

My college buddies of 38 years. Love these ladies.
We left Philly on a red-eye Friday.
Saturday morning 🌞 Athens Greece. Lol first impression?? Athens drivers are insane. A cacophony of cars, motor bikes and humanity, thrown together on 2000 year old streets. Lol Our hotel room had a spectacular view
MVIMG_20190914_215314.jpgIMG_20190914_121322.jpg

Up next:. Climbing the Acropolis

eliza61nyc

Original Poster
Wow -- what a view from your room! Greece is an interesting destination, and I'm looking forward to your updates. :)

The hotel was called the Electra palace hotel. very small boutique hotel close to the Acropolis.
These are from the pool deck and restaurant

IMG_20190914_120711.jpgIMG_20190914_122106.jpg
What a fun trip! Looking forward to reading the rest!
Thanks. we are having a ball.

So, one thing you immediately notice about Athens is that they take the entire "beginning of civilization" thing real serious. lol. streets are centuries old and driving is scary. think of it as a NYC, wwf thunderdome mash up. right of way is non existent and I swear my driver never met a red light he didn't want to run.

We arrived at our hotel after a 9 hour flight and instead of doing the smart thing and relaxing we decided to book a tour of the Acropolis/ Panthenon. super stupid thing. Our guide Costos was a dream, knowledgeable, friendly, warm and funny but touring Greece involves some serious walking and it was hot. we probably were not his most gracious clients. talk about a bunch of whiny ladies.
Costos explain the architecture, the religious significant both ancient Greek and early disciple Christian. The rock where the disciple Paul preached and other fascinating tidbit. I wish I could tell you about them but about 30 minutes into it, my eyes glazed over from sleep deprivation and I think I may have tried to climb into some ruins that looked like an ancient Greek bed but it's pretty fuzzy.
Poor Costos, it was not our finest showing.
if you ever travel here, take my advice, Jet lag is real
IMG_20190914_172534.jpgIMG_20190914_175255.jpgIMG_20190914_175300.jpg
IMG_20190914_175522.jpg

It is truly awe inspiring

Last edited:

Tanna Eros

Our guide Costos was a dream, knowledgeable, friendly, warm and funny but touring Greece involves some serious walking and it was hot. we probably were not his most gracious clients. talk about a bunch of whiny ladies.
He's probably used to people visiting and getting used to the climate and ways and of jet lag.
The place looks amazing! I thought that was the Pantheon, but the roof is different? I heard they were restoring it, but I thought only the inside.

epcotisbest

This seems like an incredible adventure. My wife does a girl's trip every year and they really enjoy their together time. Thing is, it is nothing as exotic or adventure filled as this, mostly to a beach somewhere in Florida where they just hang by the pool, walk on the beach, try lots of different restaurants, and outlet shopping, lots of outlet shopping. Still, they have fun, and I suspect the best part is no husbands for a whole week!
Looking forward to reading more about this amazing trip.

eliza61nyc

Original Poster
Next up, Mykonos.
After two days in Athens, it's time for the ride I call, " are you feeling lucky today" lol a short ride on a prop jet to the island of Mykonos.
I hate flying to begin with, having to do it in a prop plane has me swallowing Valium laced baclava
Mykonos is a beautiful island, known for its night light.

IMG_20190916_113552.jpg

IMG_20190916_113358.jpg

It's also known for it's great beaches and gorgeous resorts. Tourism is the major industry here and it's a popular stop for cruise ships
IMG_20190918_082612.jpg
IMG_20190917_091059.jpg

It is also known for its cats. The are quite a number of cars that are cared for through donations .

IMG_20190917_182114.jpg
This seems like an incredible adventure. My wife does a girl's trip every year and they really enjoy their together time. Thing is, it is nothing as exotic or adventure filled as this, mostly to a beach somewhere in Florida where they just hang by the pool, walk on the beach, try lots of different restaurants, and outlet shopping, lots of outlet shopping. Still, they have fun, and I suspect the best part is no husbands for a whole week!
Looking forward to reading more about this amazing trip.
We don't do big trips like this often, usually a big birthday or anniversary. 2021 most of us are hitting the big 6-0 so that will be a trip

Last edited:

Tanna Eros

It all looks so wonderful. I'd chance a prop plane to enjoy the beach. Strangely, I feel more secure in a Cessna than I do a large passenger jet.
What a beautiful sky.

John park hopper

Great pictures and I know how you feel about flying I'm right there with you. The weather looks great what have the temps been any favorite food you have discovered in Greece?

eliza61nyc

Original Poster
Great pictures and I know how you feel about flying I'm right there with you. The weather looks great what have the temps been any favorite food you have discovered in Greece?

the temps have been glorious, mid 80's. Greece reminds me a bit like florida or other Texas in that the sun is super strong. So while there isn't much humidity just the sun beaming down on you can wear you out and there aren't many shade trees especially on the islands. I'll hit food in a minute. ;)

eliza61nyc

Original Poster
Santorini:

Santorini is probably the Island most associated with Greece in all the marketing. It's is quintessential Greece. Sharp whites against blue skies and even bluer water. Gorgeous views but they come with a price, lol. the entire town was built on top of a mountain to protect it from attacks from pirates. This is not the place to go if you don't like walking. It was actually formed when supposedly a volcano erupted violently carving out the mountains and cliffs you see below with the remnants of the volcano in the center.

Greece 523.jpgGreece 525.jpgGreece 596.jpg

This island in the middle is the remains of the volcano. they call it the Caldera, a very popular activity is cruises out to it usually wine cruises or snorkeling cruises. as you can see Cruise ships come constantly.
Greece 481.jpgGreece 497.jpg

We stayed at a hotel called the Chromata which is literally built into the mountain. absolutely stunning views but these were my steps to my villa.

Greece 623.jpg

Me the girl with bad knees and decidedly sedentary. whew, talk about a work out.

Greece 779.jpg

That little scrap of blue at the bottom was the hotel pool. waking up to the view though was amazing.

villas
hotel chromata.jpg

The town itself only has about 20,000 residents but the population swells to somethng like 1.5 million during the summer season. Can anyone say "Disney" parks. The two main towns are Oia and Fira.

Next up: food, food and Ouzo!!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom