I don't know what to do!!! Poly or WL???

I'm getting ready to book my WDW trip for next year since Free Dining is getting ready to end.
I don't know if I want to stay at the Poly or Wilderness Lodge. Money is not really a factor in the decision. I am going to stay in the cheapest room available no matter which resort I choose. There is approximately $150 difference a night between the two. We won't spend much time at the resort. We want to do a character breakfast at Ohana's at least once but I know that can be done whether I stay at the Poly or somewhere else. We won't have any kids with us (even though I feel like a kid when I'm at Disney and I love Stitch). We have never stayed at either resort. My dream vacation is to go to Hawaii but I have a HUGE fear of flying so I figure the Poly will have to do :)
I LOVE the idea of the monorail going right to the Poly. This would be great for me in the mornings so I can get to the park quickly instead of stopping at 2 or 3 other places first. Same thing goes for the evenings. I typically go to the park from open to close (and I usually park hop too). When I'm exhausted at the end of the day I don't want to possibly get stuck standing on the bus trying to hold myself up. I know the same thing can happen on a monorail too but at least they go a lot faster.
The BIGGEST factors in my decision are cleanliness and security. Has anyone stayed at both resorts? Which was cleaner? Which resort did you feel the safest at? Is there anything I'm missing when trying to make my decision?
Please help! I'm driving my husband crazy trying to decide and he's no help since he doesn't care which resort we stay at. Thank you!!!

My vote has to be for the Poly. My wife and I have been to Disney World 4 times and have stayed at the Poly 3 of the last 4 trips. We tried the contemporary and were a little dissappointed. But anyway, the Poly will always have my vote. First is the monorail, walk from you room and in the Great Cermonial House and you right there, go to Magic Kingdom or to the TTC and then onto EPCOT, not to mention the nightly fireworks at the Magic Kingdom. With the wilderness lodge you have to ride a bus no matter where you want to go. Then there is Ohana right in the resort. The best swimming pool on property. The atmosphere at the Poly is relaxed and laid back, the staff has always been wonderful. I could ramble on all day. No matter what my recommendation will always be for the Poly!

Upvote 0

mickeysshoes

Let me start by saying I have not stayed at both....But I have stayed at the WL and we just love this resort. As far as getting to the MK it cant be any easier from the WL...you have a direct boat with only WL quests aboard and you also have the bus option should you choose to use it (it can sometimes be the better option...ie..when its 100 outside with no breeze...AC on the bus is very nice) I know you said money is not a factor but it will save you money maybe to put towards another trip or a nice gift from the world. Either way you will be at Disney and I am sure you will enjoy either resort. Good luck!!

Upvote 0

bamillerpa

While the WL is amazing, the Poly will always have my vote. It's the only resort where you can take a quick walk and grab either the monorail to the MK (in the Grand Ceremonial House) or to Epcot (by walking to the TTC). I definitely would walk to the TTC for the Epcot monorail over riding the monorail from the Poly to TTC. My daughter stayed there for the first time with us a few months ago and she has now decided that she wants to live at the Poly when she grows up:). We also took the boat to the MK a few times while there just for something different and it also was a nice quick ride. The fireworks while sitting on the Poly beach also cannot be matched.

Upvote 0

zurgandfriend

We have stayed at both the Polynesian and the Wilderness Lodge. I can't tell you which to pick I believe you need to ask yourself what’s more important.
If you’re more interested in theme and/or atmosphere go with the Wilderness Lodge the décor is outstanding. We found the Wilderness Lodge to be less “busy.” Because the Wilderness Lodge isn’t on the monorail you don’t get as much foot traffic as people have to make a little more effort in getting there. We also enjoyed the Wilderness Lodge pool more than the pool s at the Polynesian, again just my family’s opinion.
The Polynesian theme is also good but IMHO it doesn’t “knock your socks off” like the Wilderness Lodge lobby does when you first experience it.
However if being on the monorail, seeing the fireworks from the beach and having the Magic Kingdom, Epcot and the other Magic Kingdom resorts and restaurants a quick monorail ride away is more important than go with the Polynesian. Also if a Hawaiian vacation is your dream and you can’t make the flight then yes most definitely pick the Polynesian and make sure to book both the Spirit of Aloha luau and the Ohanna.
Whatever you choose, enjoy!

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Having stayed at both, I'd say go for Wilderness Lodge.

Cleanliness - No contest. WL is a beautiful resort, inside and out. The Poly, while it has lovely grounds, has cleanliness issues in the longhouses.

Rooms - Poly's rooms are bigger, so that's a plus. For my family, since there are 5 of us, we can no longer stay in the WL, since they only allow 4 to a room.

Honestly, I think time of year has a lot to do when making your decision. If going in the winter, WL hands down for the warm and cozy atmosphere. If going in the warmer months, Poly for it's tropical atmosphere and beach.

Transportation is a toss up. The Poly has the monorail to the MK, plus boat or ferry. However, WL has boat or bus. The bus ride to MK is like 3 minutes. Epcot is really a toss up, as the Poly has the monorail, but WL has the bus with no other stops. All other sections of WDW are pretty much the same since both resorts share buses with other resorts and take some time.

Food - Again, a toss up. I might give a slight edge to WL as Artist Pointe is a fine dining establishment. Though personally, Ohana is my favorite. Whispering Canyon is better than Kona Cafe.

Upvote 0

Atomicmickey

Safety? Really?

Since when is safety an issue anywhere in WDW?

I'd pick the Poly. I mean, I DID pick the Poly--will be there in February!

Because it's awesome, that's why.

Upvote 0

wvdisneyfamily

We are in a similar situation. We've stayed at the WL several times. We are booked for the Poly this year. We tried the Poly for several reasons.
1. Monorail
2. Proximity to MK
3. Being able to fall asleep looking at the castle
4. A personal dream (I remember looking longingly at that place when staying at ASMo.)
5. Goal to stay at all of the resorts

You'll be happy either way. :)

Upvote 0

tigsmom

I'm getting ready to book my WDW trip for next year since Free Dining is getting ready to end.
I don't know if I want to stay at the Poly or Wilderness Lodge. Money is not really a factor in the decision. I am going to stay in the cheapest room available no matter which resort I choose. There is approximately $150 difference a night between the two. We won't spend much time at the resort. We want to do a character breakfast at Ohana's at least once but I know that can be done whether I stay at the Poly or somewhere else. We won't have any kids with us (even though I feel like a kid when I'm at Disney and I love Stitch). We have never stayed at either resort. My dream vacation is to go to Hawaii but I have a HUGE fear of flying so I figure the Poly will have to do :)
I LOVE the idea of the monorail going right to the Poly. This would be great for me in the mornings so I can get to the park quickly instead of stopping at 2 or 3 other places first. Same thing goes for the evenings. I typically go to the park from open to close (and I usually park hop too). When I'm exhausted at the end of the day I don't want to possibly get stuck standing on the bus trying to hold myself up. I know the same thing can happen on a monorail too but at least they go a lot faster.
The BIGGEST factors in my decision are cleanliness and security. Has anyone stayed at both resorts? Which was cleaner? Which resort did you feel the safest at? Is there anything I'm missing when trying to make my decision?
Please help! I'm driving my husband crazy trying to decide and he's no help since he doesn't care which resort we stay at. Thank you!!!

I've stayed at both and my choice would be the WL over the Poly.

The main reason for this is at the WL everything is under one roof whereas at the Poly you have to leave the building with your room and walk to the main building for food, shopping etc. Not so bad in the very nice weather or if you are close to the main building, but when we were there it poured everyday and we were at one of the farthest buildings (right near the TTC). Add to that that our kids got turned around when they went to get a snack after dark and wouldn't go alone again (they were not small kids either).

Both resorts are clean and safe and quite nice as far as theming and ambiance are concerned. The food is good at both as well. We have never had a problem with the transportation at the WL and you can take a boat to the Contemporary to hit the monorail to EPCOT or the MK (though we love the boat ride from the WL to the MK).

Upvote 0

fngoofy

Poly.

Monorail
More Hawaii than much of Hawaii.
Larger rooms (tied with CR for biggest rooms, 410 sqft I believe.)

Just as themed as WL.
Just as good restaurants.

OR
Do the MK view over at CR. The most convenient location in all of WDW. You can go from MK to your room in under 10 minutes and the view is the best in the world. Really, you can't overestimate how nice it is to go from the monorail, up an elevator and into your room. Same with dining, you can eat breakfast and be back in your room to freshen up in 1 minute.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Poly.

Monorail
More Hawaii than much of Hawaii.
Larger rooms (tied with CR for biggest rooms, 410 sqft I believe.)

Just as themed as WL.
Just as good restaurants.

OR
Do the MK view over at CR. The most convenient location in all of WDW. You can go from MK to your room in under 10 minutes and the view is the best in the world. Really, you can't overestimate how nice it is to go from the monorail, up an elevator and into your room. Same with dining, you can eat breakfast and be back in your room to freshen up in 1 minute.

Most of the rooms at the Poly are actually 440 sq ft. The rooms in Tokelau, Rap Nui, and Tahiti are 476 sq ft.

This is a definite opinion. Personally, I prefer the views from the GF and Poly much better. No parking lot. And the Poly is definitely more convenient than the Contemporary. Yes, you can walk back and forth to the MK. But to Epcot, you have to take one monorail to the TTC, then switch to another monorail. From the Poly, you can walk directly to the Epcot monorail.

As for best location in all of WDW, none of the Magic Kingdom Resorts fit that category. They're great for MK access, but they're a haul from everything else. Technically, the best resorts for location are the Epcot Resorts. They're the most centrally located. Unfortunately, the bus service sucks.

Upvote 0

mickey2008.1

Its Poly for us! We just got back, and the room was huge, very clean, great grounds, views of MK and fire works. They are constantly cleaning and painting areas. The only negative we had about the place was the amount of people in GCH from morning to night, people everywhere. Other than that, it was truly wonderful. Check out our trip report for pictures of the place.

Upvote 0

Mick G.

Since you are all-day park people, I would strongly suggest the Poly, just because of transportation. The monorail is brilliant for the MK and Epcot, and you can take the boat to the MK for variety.

I could spend a few days at just the Wilderness Lodge, forgetting the theme parks even exist, pretending we're in Montana or something. If you were the type that hangs out at the hotel for a low-impact trip, the WL would be great. But getting to the parks is a hassle -- You usually have to wait for the boat, and other than the MK, you have to take the bus. And buses kill magic. For me, anyway.

Mick

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Since you are all-day park people, I would strongly suggest the Poly, just because of transportation. The monorail is brilliant for the MK and Epcot, and you can take the boat to the MK for variety.

I could spend a few days at just the Wilderness Lodge, forgetting the theme parks even exist, pretending we're in Montana or something. If you were the type that hangs out at the hotel for a low-impact trip, the WL would be great. But getting to the parks is a hassle -- You usually have to wait for the boat, and other than the MK, you have to take the bus. And buses kill magic. For me, anyway.

Mick

You have to take buses from the Poly to AK, DHS, DTD, water parks, etc.

Upvote 0

devoy1701

If I were making the call, $150 extra per night for a week isn't work it for me. I would say book Wilderness Lodge and go enjoy that $1,000 on some extra souveniers or tours, or fancy dinners!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom