I Don't Know If TDL Is Going to Celebrate Their 40th Anniversary Next Year

TsWade2

Original Poster
Hi,
Um, this is just me, but based on what I'm seeing at TDL on Youtube, the characters are still social distancing and the parades like Dreaming Up and Tokyo Disneyland Electrical Parade Dreamlights still doesn't have the full cast yet, I'm beginning to feel that they might not do a TDL 40th Anniversary next year. I mean, they always make new parades every 5 years on their anniversaries, but it seems to me since they're still social distancing and there is no news about the upcoming 40th anniversary, I guess their won't be any new for the 40th anniversary. I hope I'm wrong, and I don't know how far Japan is doing with the pandemic, but I don't know if TDL is going to celebrate their 40th anniversary next year. But once again, it's probably just me.
Seth Meyers Whatever GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Last edited:

BasiltheBatLord

They'll do something, but probably just some lame merch or minor decorations unless there's a major change in COVID next year. Keep in mind TDS 20th just happened and it was very low key with just some special merch and food plus small decorations and a harbor greeting show.

Japan is very much stuck in a "forever COVID" mindset and I'm genuinely not sure what it's going to take to get them out of it. The government has been avoiding imposing additional restrictions since last year, but there seems to be very little desire among the population to move on from the pandemic as far as social behavior.

Last edited:

TsWade2

Original Poster
They'll do something, but probably just some lame merch or minor decorations unless there's a major change in COVID next year. Keep in mind TDS 20th just happened and it was very low key with just some special merch and food plus small decorations and a harbor greeting show.

Japan is very much stuck in a "forever COVID" mindset and I'm genuinely not sure what it's going to take to get them out of it. The government has been avoiding imposing additional restrictions since last year, but there seems to be very little desire among the population to move on from the pandemic as far as social behavior.
I hate to say this, but you maybe right. I guess Tokyo Disneyland will be like that forever. Of course, I don 't live in Japan so no depression for me on that. But, seriously, Japan is having issues with their pandemic.

JokersWild

That’s not quite right. Japan is making (very) slow progress towards pre-COVID life. There’s a huge spike in cases right now, but the government hasn’t imposed any further restrictions, or reversed any guideline relaxations. The people seem to be starting to be done with the restrictions too - today alone I’ve seen countless people without masks, social distancing is pretty much a thing of the past, and even Disney’s stopped doing temperature screenings as of a few days ago (though the permanency of that remains to be seen)

The 40th anniversary will probably be low key compared to some past celebrations, but Japan is absolutely not stuck in a “forever COVID” mindset. They’re moving really slowly, but they are moving. With the way the government seems to be moving, I’m pretty hopeful that the borders will be open by the end of the year.

SweetDuffy101

I know nobody reads the shareholders report for Tokyo Disney Resort, There was a question asked regarding the 40th anniversary. last week.

OLC answered yes there will be a celebration,
But here's where it gets tricky. The merchandise and Food/Beverages are already planned the theme is done etc. But they couldn't announce anything until the last minute, They are closely monitoring on how the government will implement new regulations post pandemic and with the monkeypox looming around.

They dont want to announce anything until everything is okay.

Not for this thread but ill post here.

Someone also asked about Fantasy springs.
They are still targeting to open the new Area Fiscal Year 2023(April2023-March 2024), With world import export shortages Opening of the new area will still rely on materials from shipments globally.

The final decision will be from Top executives at WDI inspection before opening the new area.

(Additional info)

according to an interview from a local tv network (World business Satellite) the new CEO of OLC said that during pandemic guest satisfaction has been up, With regards to low capacity and low wait times on both parks.

and he said that, They will be doing some research within the upcoming years on how the local guest will react when they are not going to maximize park attendance.

Stating that they have Zero plans on bringing back Annual passes. Instead that they will release new tiers for park passes moving forward.

Personal opinion: Expect an announcement during the Opening of Encore: The Moments at ikspiari a museum celebrating the 40 Years history of the resort. (Opening in September 22, 2022)

The museum will be divided into 5 areas and with
60 plus costumes from the past 40 years of entertainment at Tokyo Disney Resort with the last area giving us a sneak peek of what Tokyo Disney has to offer moving forward.

Last edited:

TsWade2

Original Poster
I know nobody reads the shareholders report for Tokyo Disney Resort, There was a question asked regarding the 40th anniversary. last week.

OLC answered yes there will be a celebration,
But here's where it gets tricky. The merchandise and Food/Beverages are already planned the theme is done etc. But they couldn't announce anything until the last minute, They are closely monitoring on how the government will implement new regulations post pandemic and with the monkeypox looming around.

They dont want to announce anything until everything is okay.

Not for this thread but ill post here.

Someone also asked about Fantasy springs.
They are still targeting to open the new Area Fiscal Year 2023(April2023-March 2024), With world import export shortages Opening of the new area will still rely on materials from shipments globally.

The final decision will be from Top executives at WDI inspection before opening the new area.

(Additional info)

according to an interview from a local tv network (World business Satellite) the new CEO of OLC said that during pandemic guest satisfaction has been up, With regards to low capacity and low wait times on both parks.

and he said that, They will be doing some research within the upcoming years on how the local guest will react when they are not going to maximize park attendance.

Stating that they have Zero plans on bringing back Annual passes. Instead that they will release new tiers for park passes moving forward.

Personal opinion: Expect an announcement during the Opening of Encore: The Moments at ikspiari a museum celebrating the 40 Years history of the resort. (Opening in September 22, 2022)

The museum will be divided into 5 areas and with
60 plus costumes from the past 40 years of entertainment at Tokyo Disney Resort with the last area giving us a sneak peek of what Tokyo Disney has to offer moving forward.
That’s great! Of course, I doubt that there will be a new parade. I mean, their parades are so gorgeous and very creative.

BasiltheBatLord

That’s not quite right. Japan is making (very) slow progress towards pre-COVID life. There’s a huge spike in cases right now, but the government hasn’t imposed any further restrictions, or reversed any guideline relaxations. The people seem to be starting to be done with the restrictions too - today alone I’ve seen countless people without masks, social distancing is pretty much a thing of the past, and even Disney’s stopped doing temperature screenings as of a few days ago (though the permanency of that remains to be seen)

The 40th anniversary will probably be low key compared to some past celebrations, but Japan is absolutely not stuck in a “forever COVID” mindset. They’re moving really slowly, but they are moving. With the way the government seems to be moving, I’m pretty hopeful that the borders will be open by the end of the year.
I would love to be where you are then because over here (Tokyo) it's still 90-95% masks everywhere, all the time. My office still has an indefinite mask mandate, acrylic partitions still everywhere etc. And I don't detect any desire to move on from these things.

On the border, I'll believe it when it happens. The most recent policy changes allowing for less testing and no quarantine for most countries is welcome, but we've had over two years of "will they or won't they" and at least one example (Nov 2021) where there was a sudden and massive reversal in policy which screwed a ton of people. The Japanese gov't have proven themselves extremely unreliable on this aspect.

Last edited:

SweetDuffy101

I would love to be where you are then because over here (Tokyo) it's still 90-95% masks everywhere, all the time. My office still has an indefinite mask mandate, acrylic partitions still everywhere etc. And I don't detect any desire to move on from these things.

On the border, I'll believe it when it happens. The most recent policy changes allowing for less testing and no quarantine for most countries is welcome, but we've had over two years of "will they or they won't they" and at least one example (Nov 2021) where there was a sudden and massive reversal in policy which screwed a ton of people. The Japanese gov't have proven themselves extremely unreliable on this aspect.
I can say this is accurate explanation of the status here now sadly.

JokersWild

On the border, I'll believe it when it happens. The most recent policy changes allowing for less testing and no quarantine for most countries is welcome, but we've had over two years of "will they or won't they" and at least one example (Nov 2021) where there was a sudden and massive reversal in policy which screwed a ton of people. The Japanese gov't have proven themselves extremely unreliable on this aspect.
Surprisingly, I saw this in Tokyo. I was actually pretty taken aback by how many people were walking around Tokyo Station without a mask. And Narita, for that matter. And I watched countless castmembers at TDL enforcing mask wearing on attractions because people kept lowering them. Admittedly I live in the countryside so the vibe is certainly different, but at least a third of my office goes maskless and I've had multiple conversations with coworkers about how they're over wearing masks.

I totally get you when it comes to the border situation. I'm probably being too optimistic, but I do think Japan is trending in the right direction. They should (fingers crossed) be downgrading their classification of Covid by the fall, which will hopefully help push some further relaxing of policies. The whole situation is still incredibly frustrating, though.

Soleurs

In the Parks
Yes
Surprisingly, I saw this in Tokyo. I was actually pretty taken aback by how many people were walking around Tokyo Station without a mask. And Narita, for that matter. And I watched countless castmembers at TDL enforcing mask wearing on attractions because people kept lowering them. Admittedly I live in the countryside so the vibe is certainly different, but at least a third of my office goes maskless and I've had multiple conversations with coworkers about how they're over wearing masks.

I totally get you when it comes to the border situation. I'm probably being too optimistic, but I do think Japan is trending in the right direction. They should (fingers crossed) be downgrading their classification of Covid by the fall, which will hopefully help push some further relaxing of policies. The whole situation is still incredibly frustrating, though.
Late to the party here but my two cents:

I think now that the government has pretty much come out and said they will be reclassifying COVID into the same category as the flu pretty soon, we’ll see a lot of stuff abate. Plastic partitions will come down (TDR and USJ are the last places I’ve really noticed them on the tables rather than between anyway), masks outside will continue to slowly come off (that’ll take a couple years, don’t even start on indoors), and we’ll see some semblances of normality return here and there.

One critical thing I’ve noticed is that the past two years, all TDR ads have been with masked guests. But TDR’s latest ads on YouTube are maskless, and the theme park association’s COVID rules just changed to allow unmasking outdoors, a change I’m sure USJ and OLC are still deep in meetings about. But something’s gotta be coming.

As for the 40th, if things keep trending this way, I expect a lot more normality than the TDS 20th. I have no doubt we’ll get all the usual stuff like a parade, and hopefully a new castle projection show for TDL. Probably when seasonals will properly return too, since April is when the hiring cycle always kicks in. Who’s to say on the borders properly opening, but I think at least in terms of theme parks, Japan is ready to kick back into gear.

SweetDuffy101

If all goes along schedule over the past few years, expect an announcement from OLC sometime between the dates Sept 15,22 or 29.

Details maybe from the anniversary celebrations next year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom