Trip Report COMPLETED- I Couldn't Love You, but Here's $0.25 in Souvenirs- Celebrating 10 Years of Kid Trips to Disney

We began our adventures early on the morning of February 5th. Just before 7am CT, we had my vehicle loaded up and ready to go. I’m not sure how we did it, but we managed some room for the dog so we could drop her off for boarding (aka Camp!) on our way out of town. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised. She gets comfortable in the strangest positions...

50599330162_d76cb9f796_z.jpg

I haven’t set foot in my office since March 16, 2020, so I have no idea what rush hour really looks like these days or if Fridays are still lighter traffic days...but it was a breeze getting out of Houston.

I have no pictures for you until shortly after Lafayette, LA. I was driving up until this point, but after a series of urgent texts from my boss, we decided to stop and switch drivers. I’m not a big fan of critical conference calls at the start of my vacation, but these days, I’m thankful to be gainfully employed. After I got off the phone, I took a few pics as we were driving through the Atchafalaya.

50932460927_3f6cea0032_z.jpg

50932461092_0f6b4deab2_z.jpg

50932339961_f029ddfdd1_z.jpg

It’s probably for the best that I wasn’t taking pics prior to this. Everything around Lake Charles, not too far west of this area, is still showing a lot of damage and tarps from the 2020 hurricane season, so it's pretty depressing. I also hate driving over the Mississippi in Baton Rouge, so I was pretty happy to have David at the wheel.

50932459587_7974fc13b3_z.jpg

50932461207_a5f730336e_z.jpg

Speaking of David (and everyone else), if you want all of the details, please take a look at my PTR. https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/family-return-to-wdw-take-2.971452/

Now, if it looks rainy and gloomy...it’s because it was. We were at the leading edge of a front that was moving east. The rain stayed with us for a good portion of the drive.

50912470921_c0ff159fa3_z.jpg

In light of everything Covid, we didn’t stop at any of our usual lunch spots. I packed a small cooler full of lunch stuff and we stopped at the Mississippi welcome center to eat. Unfortunately, it was really chilly, so we ate in the car. That didn’t stop a ton of pigeons from surrounding us in hopes that we’d drop some crumbs on the way to the trash.

50912602042_17e37c003c_z.jpg

I was aiming for Tallahassee for the night. That’s usually where we wind up when we make good time, but we’d left so early that we were in Tallahassee by dinner time...even with losing an hour when crossing into the Eastern time zone. We didn't even have traffic with the tunnel in Mobile! Not sure why we decided on Whataburger when we have tons of them at home and this one was way off the highway, but we went a bit out of our way to eat at this one for who knows what reason. At least it had a nice little drive-in area to park and eat.

50915171003_17f6c94374_z.jpg

Somewhere in between Pensacola and Tallahassee, we also developed a bit of a car problem…

50915855166_9bd66c7dce_z.jpg

50931651393_818565f737_z.jpg

Somehow, my front sensor got blocked, which in turn disabled all of my front end safety features...as well as my cruise control. I’d had this happen once before, but it quickly corrected itself. This time, it wasn’t going away. The rest of the trip both to Disney and back would be done without cruise control. I felt like I’d jumped back in time to my first car!

We could have stopped for the night at this point. It was late enough that it wouldn’t have been crazy, but it was early enough that we felt the need to push on. So, I booked a hotel in Gainesville and we kept driving. I lived in Gainesville for several years in the early to mid 90s, so it always feels a bit strange to go back, but it was the best option for the night. It took a little bit of time to get all of our stuff upstairs, but by driving a bit farther this evening, we could all relax a bit and sleep in a little the next morning. And silly...we could be silly.

50932460087_5e50701a60_z.jpg

50931650223_38133709c0_z.jpg

50931650893_030f79b2a5_z.jpg

We slept in a little on February 6th. I think it was around 9am when we went downstairs to grab some breakfast to bring back to the room. It was mainly just some cereal, fruit and hard boiled eggs. We couldn’t sit around too long, because we remembered that I forgot to get cash. I couldn’t remember if the toll plazas had switched to toll by plate (they had) and I’d need some cash for tips upon arrival at WDW. So, we waved good-bye to the LaQuinta…

50931651398_b3907a04aa_z.jpg

And headed to Publix…

50932461472_8a43d76ef4_z.jpg

I didn’t spend a lot of time in there, but it was really strange, because this was the Publix we’d shop at when we lived in Gainesville. It just happened to be the closest to the hotel. It also was in the same shopping center as a restaurant I used to work at for a couple of years...so a real trip down memory lane.

With cash in hand (and an extra stick of deodorant purchased so I could get cash back), we were on our way to WDW. I also got some time to call and set up an appointment to get my vehicle in the shop when we got home (more on that later).

50931648963_2a8dd23b1b_z.jpg

50931650863_361690157b_z.jpg

50932461517_20bdf644fc_z.jpg

David was driving, so I was actually able to take a few pics on my phone when we arrived.

50915866811_0393bf4a09_z.jpg

This was also his choice of arrival music. I still don’t get it, but he’s got a pretty fun Idina Menzel impersonation. I regret not taking video, but I was taking pictures.

50915185678_cb764c6afd_z.jpg

50915996637_5dd07eab22_z.jpg

50915868921_699811458f_z.jpg

I’m sure most of us have experienced this, but between my phone, the MDE app, and our magic bands, they knew that we were on property. I immediately got notification that our room wasn’t ready, so I wasn’t expecting much upon arrival.

50932338506_547527319e_z.jpg

After getting a multitude of welcome homes from the security booth attendant (Kendall had all kinds of questions about this practice), a very nice guy with bell services helped with our luggage (who looked kind of funny at the big air mattress I had in the mix) and a woman, who magically knew it was me, told me she’d messaged housekeeping to put a rush on our room. So, all there was left to do at this point was park and figure out what to do with ourselves while we waited. Since I’d canceled our B&C ADR, we didn’t have any place to be until 5pm...and it was 11:48am. Hey, I told Disney we’d be showing up around noon.

Coming up...managing the wait, first impressions on our room, and an evening in Disney Springs.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Did you see the video of the Bison in South Dakota (Custer State Park) with the woman from the Sturgis Rally who tried to take pictures of the baby bison and then later the Bison is wearing her pants on his horns? Best not to get too close to them.

YES!!! I just kept thinking "what an idiot!" Well, that...and that this woman is going to get herself killed. Unfortunately, people do stupid things and I also think people don't seem to grasp the difference between yards and feet. I took this on our last day in Yellowstone on our last trip.

44097894381_a698db00a9_c.jpg

We've had some surprise encounters where we're on a trail and wound up too close to animals that weren't visible from farther down the trail, but we carefully work to create some extra distance when this happens. These people have opted to stake out viewing spots right next to these animals. Just a little bit up the road, we came upon a couple of bull elk. I didn't take pics of the men creeping up on them to take pictures, but visualize two dumb guys about 10 feet behind this bull and another bull about 5 feet ahead of this one.

43190653225_8e8349ef98_c.jpg

And it's not just animals. I can't tell you how many times we saw people sticking their hands into thermal features...

30230747458_9a2fbbb8f0_c.jpg

I'm sure we'll see more of this over the summer if we can pull this trip together.

Songbird76

YES!!! I just kept thinking "what an idiot!" Well, that...and that this woman is going to get herself killed. Unfortunately, people do stupid things and I also think people don't seem to grasp the difference between yards and feet. I took this on our last day in Yellowstone on our last trip.

44097894381_a698db00a9_c.jpg

We've had some surprise encounters where we're on a trail and wound up too close to animals that weren't visible from farther down the trail, but we carefully work to create some extra distance when this happens. These people have opted to stake out viewing spots right next to these animals. Just a little bit up the road, we came upon a couple of bull elk. I didn't take pics of the men creeping up on them to take pictures, but visualize two dumb guys about 10 feet behind this bull and another bull about 5 feet ahead of this one.

43190653225_8e8349ef98_c.jpg

And it's not just animals. I can't tell you how many times we saw people sticking their hands into thermal features...

30230747458_9a2fbbb8f0_c.jpg

I'm sure we'll see more of this over the summer if we can pull this trip together.
Ugh....stupid people. When we were in Yellowstone once, we saw a kid about 10 years old feeding marshmallows on a stick to a bear. On the opposite side of a creek. So he was within feet of a fully grown black bear, with a bag of marshmallows in one hand and a stick with one marshmallow on the other. At any time, that bear could have decided he wanted the bag more than the single marshmallow, and there's no way a 10 year old kid could outrun a bear across the creek to get back into his parents' car. My mom let us roll down our windows a couple of inches while she hit the brakes, we got our pictures, and drove off before the bear could decide he was tired of tourists. Not sure what happened with the boy.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Ugh....stupid people. When we were in Yellowstone once, we saw a kid about 10 years old feeding marshmallows on a stick to a bear. On the opposite side of a creek. So he was within feet of a fully grown black bear, with a bag of marshmallows in one hand and a stick with one marshmallow on the other. At any time, that bear could have decided he wanted the bag more than the single marshmallow, and there's no way a 10 year old kid could outrun a bear across the creek to get back into his parents' car. My mom let us roll down our windows a couple of inches while she hit the brakes, we got our pictures, and drove off before the bear could decide he was tired of tourists. Not sure what happened with the boy.

Sounds like the boy was extremely lucky. Years ago I noticed my neighbor’s car that had one side of it completely mangled. When I asked what happened they told me they had been camping and although very experienced campers, they did not see that a small piece of meat had fallen out of a bag before they took the food out of the car to properly secure it. A bear ripped the car door open to get to it! The park ranger asked if they would mind if a picture of the car was posted at the park entrance to show people what bears are capable of doing.

Songbird76

Sounds like the boy was extremely lucky. Years ago I noticed my neighbor’s car that had one side of it completely mangled. When I asked what happened they told me they had been camping and although very experienced campers, they did not see that a small piece of meat had fallen out of a bag before they took the food out of the car to properly secure it. A bear ripped the car door open to get to it! The park ranger asked if they would mind if a picture of the car was posted at the park entrance to show people what bears are capable of doing.
Wow....yeah, I hadn't thought about them being able to do that, but they are really strong. My mom used to go camping a LOT in her 20s with her cousin. They went to Yellowstone back in the 60s when there were still quite a few bears roaming around. They were cleaning out the car and my mom saw a bear. She told her cousin to calmly get in the car and shut the door. Her cousin didn't see the bear, and my mom was a very domineering person, so her cousin went off on a rant about how my mom was always telling her what to do and that she was NOT her mother and didn't need to treat her like that, etc. And my mom was like "Get in the d****D car, Marian! There's a bear!" He apparently sniffed around at their tent and then went on his merry way, so they were fine, but yeah, they roam freely there and if they find food, they will do what they need to do to get to it.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster

Wow....yeah, I hadn't thought about them being able to do that, but they are really strong. My mom used to go camping a LOT in her 20s with her cousin. They went to Yellowstone back in the 60s when there were still quite a few bears roaming around. They were cleaning out the car and my mom saw a bear. She told her cousin to calmly get in the car and shut the door. Her cousin didn't see the bear, and my mom was a very domineering person, so her cousin went off on a rant about how my mom was always telling her what to do and that she was NOT her mother and didn't need to treat her like that, etc. And my mom was like "Get in the d****D car, Marian! There's a bear!" He apparently sniffed around at their tent and then went on his merry way, so they were fine, but yeah, they roam freely there and if they find food, they will do what they need to do to get to it.

It's funny...I would REALLY like to see a bear while we're out in these national parks, but it's stuff like this that makes me want to tack on an addendum that the bear needs to be far off in the distance, and looking like a moving rock...outside of the aid of a zoom or binoculars. I'm really hoping to see one this summer, but would settle for some moose to make Sam happy. Of course, they are also really ornery creatures.

Songbird76

It's funny...I would REALLY like to see a bear while we're out in these national parks, but it's stuff like this that makes me want to tack on an addendum that the bear needs to be far off in the distance, and looking like a moving rock...outside of the aid of a zoom or binoculars. I'm really hoping to see one this summer, but would settle for some moose to make Sam happy. Of course, they are also really ornery creatures.
We saw 3 grizzlies on that trip, and the one black bear. The grizzlies were really far away. We didn't have actual binoculars...we had my mom's opera glasses. Even with those, you could just see 3 little dots. It was a mama and 2 cubs. We were on our way to a store where we could buy real binoculars when we came across the black bear, and he was really close to the road. The road ran parallel to the creek on that stretch, and it was only a couple of yards away. The bear couldn't have been much more than 100 feet away, if that. That's why mom wouldn't let us out of the car and wouldn't even let us roll the windows down more than a few inches....just enough that the camera lens fit through.

sheriffwoody

Just finished reading and loved it! A few thoughts I had (I'm sure there are more I forgot...)
  • Poor Kendall may be losing things for life. I'm 33 and have always been like that. I am continually AMAZED that I still have a nice pair of sunglasses I got in Sept 2018. I fully expected to lose or break them by Christmas that year. I destroyed my air pods within a year :facepalm:
  • I said the same thing at the end of our trip, but we're pretty sure we're going in May. I guess we forgot all the bad stuff enough to want to go back. If I wasn't seeing Disney stuff on instagram all the time, I could probably stay away, but the pull of Flower & Garden Fest is strong.
  • So sorry about your chaffing!! That sounds miserable. I feel like that is one of those things that once it starts, there's no getting rid of it on a disney trip.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Just finished reading and loved it! A few thoughts I had (I'm sure there are more I forgot...)
  • Poor Kendall may be losing things for life. I'm 33 and have always been like that. I am continually AMAZED that I still have a nice pair of sunglasses I got in Sept 2018. I fully expected to lose or break them by Christmas that year. I destroyed my air pods within a year :facepalm:
  • I said the same thing at the end of our trip, but we're pretty sure we're going in May. I guess we forgot all the bad stuff enough to want to go back. If I wasn't seeing Disney stuff on instagram all the time, I could probably stay away, but the pull of Flower & Garden Fest is strong.
  • So sorry about your chaffing!! That sounds miserable. I feel like that is one of those things that once it starts, there's no getting rid of it on a disney trip.

Thanks!!!

She may...I have lost track of all of the things she's lost since I concluded the report. At this point, I know it's going to happen. So, unless it's something super critical, I try not to lose my patience.

I'm sure I'll hit a point where the Disney homing beacon will start calling my name, but I also feel like last summer's national park trip was a bit of a miss. So, kind of looking forward to something better for this summer. Of course, F&G sounds good too! :)

Chaffing isn't fun. I should have just gone out and gotten some Body Glide. I'm prone to it with running and walking, so I know better. It just hasn't been this bad outside of a long run in a while. Oh well. I survived! :D

spock8113

I have the 75-300mm and rarely use it, especially at Disney. It IS heavy, like and old portable VCR and Camera set-up with lead acid batteries! I prefer the 28-135mm, more versitile, smaller and certainly lighter! When I used film, Google FILM, I had a similar Vivitar lens that was 75-260MM and it was all glass elements. I was careful around pools and fountains 'cuz if I fell in, that lens would take me right to the bottom!
Bryce Canyon, my favorite. Try to stay at Ruby's which is at the main gate. One way in, a loop, one way out.
Then go to Sunset Point and take the Navajo Trail Loop. Bring water, bandaids and wear hiking shoes. Double-time through Wall street as that big rock you walk on used to be up on the wall and you used to walk UNDER it. A bit steep going down and mildly strenuous on the way up. Hike'n'rest'n'hike'n'rest. The hike down and back is about 2 hours and you'll never forget it. This is one reason why I like Bryce. It is a morning hike and you become part of the park, not like the Grand Canyon where you are Clark Griswold looking from a distance.
I've done this hike 4 times.
Yellowstone for sure, stay in Jackson Hole if you can and go to Bubba's!
Barker-Ewing rafting off the Old Moose Rd.
Monument Valley then to Mexican Hat compliments of John Ford and the Roadrunner.
Million Dollar Highway from Durango to Montrose.
Carlsbad Caverns, the original 1959 "Journey To The Center of The Earth"

Sounds like you'll need another trip for South Dakota. 1880's Town, The Corn Palace, the Badlands, Wall Drug, Mount Rushmore, Custer State Park, Deadwood, Sturgis (if you're inclined) Spearfish. Personally I found Crazy Horse Monument to be a waste of time. Then head north to Belle Forche and Devil's Tower

Songbird76

I have the 75-300mm and rarely use it, especially at Disney. It IS heavy, like and old portable VCR and Camera set-up with lead acid batteries! I prefer the 28-135mm, more versitile, smaller and certainly lighter! When I used film, Google FILM, I had a similar Vivitar lens that was 75-260MM and it was all glass elements. I was careful around pools and fountains 'cuz if I fell in, that lens would take me right to the bottom!
Bryce Canyon, my favorite. Try to stay at Ruby's which is at the main gate. One way in, a loop, one way out.
Then go to Sunset Point and take the Navajo Trail Loop. Bring water, bandaids and wear hiking shoes. Double-time through Wall street as that big rock you walk on used to be up on the wall and you used to walk UNDER it. A bit steep going down and mildly strenuous on the way up. Hike'n'rest'n'hike'n'rest. The hike down and back is about 2 hours and you'll never forget it. This is one reason why I like Bryce. It is a morning hike and you become part of the park, not like the Grand Canyon where you are Clark Griswold looking from a distance.
Monument Valley then to Mexican Hat compliments of John Ford and the Roadrunner.

Sounds like you'll need another trip for South Dakota. 1880's Town, The Corn Palace, the Badlands, Wall Drug, Mount Rushmore, Custer State Park, Deadwood, Sturgis (if you're inclined) Spearfish. Personally I found Crazy Horse Monument to be a waste of time. Then head north to Belle Forche and Devil's Tower
Keystone in South Dakota is a neat little place, too, and there are some caves in the area that are worth seeing. If you like snakes and such, Reptile Gardens might be cool...I'm not personally a fan. We did go there when I was a kid once, and I liked the turtles, but I am really not a reptile person.

Is Bubba's in Jackson Hole a restaurant? Our plan, had we been able to swing it this Summer, was to stay in Cody for a couple days, then move to a hotel right by the entrance to Yellowstone, then spend a few days touring that before heading South to Jackson. Of course, we were going to tour the entire state and visit family while we were there. My brother is in Laramie, I have cousins in Sheridan, Gillette, and Pinedale, so really, we were just going to make a big figure 8 so we hit all the historical places like the forts and Independence Rock, all the beauty like the Bighorns and Yellowstone, all the places of interest like the petroglyphs and the dinosaur museum, etc....there's so much to see there, and we were going to go for several weeks. It sounds like they ARE going to allow travel between Europe and the US this Summer, but it's too late to plan a comprehensive trip like that now. There won't be vacancy at most hotels anymore for the Summer season, and I think that since everyone has been cooped up for so long, a lot of people are going to flock to outdoor sites for vacations where they feel safer, so it's going to be super busy.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster

The 300mm is already pretty darn heavy. I have a 55-250mm that is much easier to carry around, but it's not of the same quality level.

Funny...I was booked at the other Best Western, but shifted to the Ruby's Inn. We won't have much time in Bryce and Zion, but hoping to at least see some.

We've been to Yellowstone and Grand Teton several times, so this visit is more of a what do you want to see again vs. what do we want to try and fit in this time. I'm not even sure if we're going to try and make it into Grand Teton this time.

We actually hit up many of those areas in 2018. We flew into Billings, MT, drove to Devils Tower and spent the night in that area before heading into South Dakota. I'd like to go back at some point since we didn't get to see Wind Cave, Jewel Cave or Custer State Park. I also regret going to to Crazy Horse. It was a waste of time and $. We were there while the Sturgis rally was going on...and just being stuck in traffic with all of the motorcycles was enough for me. I had tried to convince my husband to stop by Wall Drug after going to Badlands and Minuteman Missile, but he was being all cranky.

Songbird76

The 300mm is already pretty darn heavy. I have a 55-250mm that is much easier to carry around, but it's not of the same quality level.

Funny...I was booked at the other Best Western, but shifted to the Ruby's Inn. We won't have much time in Bryce and Zion, but hoping to at least see some.

We've been to Yellowstone and Grand Teton several times, so this visit is more of a what do you want to see again vs. what do we want to try and fit in this time. I'm not even sure if we're going to try and make it into Grand Teton this time.

We actually hit up many of those areas in 2018. We flew into Billings, MT, drove to Devils Tower and spent the night in that area before heading into South Dakota. I'd like to go back at some point since we didn't get to see Wind Cave, Jewel Cave or Custer State Park. I also regret going to to Crazy Horse. It was a waste of time and $. We were there while the Sturgis rally was going on...and just being stuck in traffic with all of the motorcycles was enough for me. I had tried to convince my husband to stop by Wall Drug after going to Badlands and Minuteman Missile, but he was being all cranky.
You probably would have gotten a lot more done if it hadn't ben rally time. That's always ridiculously busy. We scheduled our 2016 South Dakota part of the trip around that, so we went the week BEFORE rally, and even that, the bikers were starting to come in and things were busier than usual, but not completely clogging up the roads. We didn't get to do Jewel Cave that trip. I've done both growing up, but my kids only got to see Wind. It was on my list for our big Wyoming tour to skip over to South Dakota and do Jewel Cave and the Badlands since we missed them in 2016, but since we're not going this summer, we'll have to postpone the whole thing. I've actually never been to Crazy Horse because you can see it from the road without paying admission to get in, and when I was growing up, there was nothing to see. They had a hole blasted in for the arm, and the had part of the outline painted....that was it. They've done a LOT in the last few years, I guess, but I still don't feel like paying to see it.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
You probably would have gotten a lot more done if it hadn't ben rally time. That's always ridiculously busy. We scheduled our 2016 South Dakota part of the trip around that, so we went the week BEFORE rally, and even that, the bikers were starting to come in and things were busier than usual, but not completely clogging up the roads. We didn't get to do Jewel Cave that trip. I've done both growing up, but my kids only got to see Wind. It was on my list for our big Wyoming tour to skip over to South Dakota and do Jewel Cave and the Badlands since we missed them in 2016, but since we're not going this summer, we'll have to postpone the whole thing. I've actually never been to Crazy Horse because you can see it from the road without paying admission to get in, and when I was growing up, there was nothing to see. They had a hole blasted in for the arm, and the had part of the outline painted....that was it. They've done a LOT in the last few years, I guess, but I still don't feel like paying to see it.

I can't remember why, but those were the only dates that would work for us for that trip. It may have been something with Yellowstone lodging availability. I know my parents also came to visit us at home right before travel, so I know we were also working around that. It was most annoying for the time we were staying near Mount Rushmore, as we could hear motorcycles going by in large groups 24/7. I know the rally was in full swing while we were there, but we found that many of the bikers funneled out into the surrounding areas once they were done with it. Even crazier...the following year, we ran into a number of bikers in Colorado and Utah starting to make their pilgrimage to Sturgis. I remember joking, while we were in Moab, that we were getting a mini Sturgis even without setting foot in SD.

I guess Crazy Horse was a hindsight is 20/20 sort of thing. I was able to get a little bit closer to get some better zoomed in pics, but we certainly weren't paying the additional fee to get even closer to the work in progress.

44045042012_45ebf276cd.jpg

42288635420_344cee7bb3.jpg

I recall thinking we might head back for the laser light show at night, but we wound up going back to Mount Rushmore for their evening presentation and were beyond exhausted when they finished. I had a few alternate trip ideas for this summer, one of which took us back through the Rapid City area, but everyone seemed more keen on adding more states to our list of states visited and taking a more easterly route before heading towards Glacier. I really hope we hit a point where travel restrictions ease up and you can have the trip you'd originally planned for this summer.

Songbird76

I can't remember why, but those were the only dates that would work for us for that trip. It may have been something with Yellowstone lodging availability. I know my parents also came to visit us at home right before travel, so I know we were also working around that. It was most annoying for the time we were staying near Mount Rushmore, as we could hear motorcycles going by in large groups 24/7. I know the rally was in full swing while we were there, but we found that many of the bikers funneled out into the surrounding areas once they were done with it. Even crazier...the following year, we ran into a number of bikers in Colorado and Utah starting to make their pilgrimage to Sturgis. I remember joking, while we were in Moab, that we were getting a mini Sturgis even without setting foot in SD.

I guess Crazy Horse was a hindsight is 20/20 sort of thing. I was able to get a little bit closer to get some better zoomed in pics, but we certainly weren't paying the additional fee to get even closer to the work in progress.

44045042012_45ebf276cd.jpg

42288635420_344cee7bb3.jpg

I recall thinking we might head back for the laser light show at night, but we wound up going back to Mount Rushmore for their evening presentation and were beyond exhausted when they finished. I had a few alternate trip ideas for this summer, one of which took us back through the Rapid City area, but everyone seemed more keen on adding more states to our list of states visited and taking a more easterly route before heading towards Glacier. I really hope we hit a point where travel restrictions ease up and you can have the trip you'd originally planned for this summer.
Oh yeah, you see plenty of rally outside of SD. I'm from a tiny little town in Wyoming about 3 hours' drive from the black hills. We always visited several times a year. But we didn't even go to Gillette, Wyoming during rally time, because as the hotels in SD fill up, people will book rooms in Gillette because it's one of the closest "cities" outside of SD. Traffic was awful, restaurants were packed....it just isn't a good time to go anywhere near the border between Wyo and SD.

I should see if I have any pictures from my childhood trips of Crazy Horse. There's much more there in these pictures you posted than there was back then. That hole is about all there was.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Oh yeah, you see plenty of rally outside of SD. I'm from a tiny little town in Wyoming about 3 hours' drive from the black hills. We always visited several times a year. But we didn't even go to Gillette, Wyoming during rally time, because as the hotels in SD fill up, people will book rooms in Gillette because it's one of the closest "cities" outside of SD. Traffic was awful, restaurants were packed....it just isn't a good time to go anywhere near the border between Wyo and SD.

I should see if I have any pictures from my childhood trips of Crazy Horse. There's much more there in these pictures you posted than there was back then. That hole is about all there was.

Oh, I can only imagine. We stayed at a B&B just down the road from Devil's Tower and while we didn't see any bikers where we stayed, we saw plenty between Little Bighorn and Devil's Tower and there were a ton at the gas station we stopped at before getting on the highway to head towards Rapid City. It wasn't until we got to Yellowstone when the number of bikers declined. Then again, that number rose as our trip progressed because the rally ended during that period.

I remember it making national news when the face had been completed, but it's still such a work in progress. I took this picture as sort of reminder that this will probably never be finished in my lifetime at the rate they're going...

44045036852_ac0cdc427d.jpg

I really do love the concept and think it'll be neat once it's completed, but I felt kind of fleeced for what we paid to get in vs. what's there.

Songbird76

Oh, I can only imagine. We stayed at a B&B just down the road from Devil's Tower and while we didn't see any bikers where we stayed, we saw plenty between Little Bighorn and Devil's Tower and there were a ton at the gas station we stopped at before getting on the highway to head towards Rapid City. It wasn't until we got to Yellowstone when the number of bikers declined. Then again, that number rose as our trip progressed because the rally ended during that period.

I remember it making national news when the face had been completed, but it's still such a work in progress. I took this picture as sort of reminder that this will probably never be finished in my lifetime at the rate they're going...

44045036852_ac0cdc427d.jpg

I really do love the concept and think it'll be neat once it's completed, but I felt kind of fleeced for what we paid to get in vs. what's there.
I guess that's the nice thing for me having grown up near there. We went so often to that area and knew exactly where to go to see if there had been any progress. My mom was a kid when they started it, and she visited her uncle in South Dakota in the summers so she saw it from the very beginning and didn't see much change at all in her lifetime. At the rate they are going, who knows if they will ever finish at all!?

I'll have to check on the progress whenever we get there again.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
In case anyone is interested, I just started a trip report over in the Chit Chat section for our recent Non-Disney road trip. I know I'm been awful at keeping up with TRs of others, but in case you care to tune in...even if just for the pictures. I won't get into all of the details here, but we hit a bunch of US National Parks, monuments, memorials, and other neat landmarks in the US.

6,500 Miles With the Crazies- A Non-Disney Trip Report

I know some had asked a while back, so I figured I'd share. Hope everyone is well :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom