Trip Report Hurricanes, Foot Pains and “What The Crocs Just Happened?” Anniversary Tale – A Sept/Irma 2017 TR (COMPLETED)

So here we are again… Another amazing trip is over.

IMG_4614.JPG

My original title for the is report was:

The Best-Laid Plans Of The Mouse & Men…
because so many of our carefully thought out schedules & plans were completely turned upside down by Irma and other “forces” along the way.

However, Ross and Julia who do not share my love for Robert Burns or John Steinbeck vetoed that and came up with their own title.

Before I begin our tale, I want to express and offer our thoughts and prayers to all who suffered in Hurricane Irma as well as Harvey & Maria. There are times when I joke about the fact that we were in Florida during the hurricane, but in no way do I not realize the devastation that was caused to so many.

That being said... Let the Trip Report begin! Who’s in?

Figment Forever

Original Poster
Well I am in and caught up. We were at WDW too for Irma. Family wanted us to leave. I kept telling them we were fine. By Monday I was annoyed with the constant texts of panic. My Mom informed me WDW didn't have power. Yeah we did. Riding rides on Tuesday and Wednesday I was still receiving panic texts if we were okay and when were we getting out. Nobody liked my reply of in a week. Lol. We normally stay at POR but we were at the WL this time. We didn't get sent to our room until 930 pm Sunday and when I woke on Monday the Sun was out I slept through Irma!!! Frankly it was so pretty Monday and resort suffered only minor stuff I got stir crazy as pools needed cleaning. When the curfew was lifted at 6pm we caught an Uber and resort hopped for dinner at Contemporary Drinking at Sams at Poly and shopping at GF. A break from Irma

Can't wait to read more

I kept telling my family & friends that watching the local news in Orlando was different from watching a national news station or a local NY station. I expected my parents and my hubby to be worried, but I was shocked how many other people kept texting with concern. I think it added to my nervousness somewhat. However, it also made me feel thankful snd blessed that there are a lot of people in our lives that genuinely care about us - so that's how I looked at it. But it was funny - my folks didn't believe that we never lost power either! lol

Wow - 9:30 - that's pretty cool. So glad you had a good time. Wish we could have crossed paths at one point! Thanks for following!

Figment Forever

Original Poster
Love the video of hope dancing! I can't believe how much stuff they had out for the kids to do!

Thank you! I was lucky that @meg0039 gave me a heads up to what WDW may do. Funny, I think we had just as much fun that day as any of our other days. We got to experience of lot of activities that I wouldn't normally stop to do in Disney. Ex: Blowing bubbles, hula hoops, coloring, games (that they would normally have at the pool)...

Figment Forever

Original Poster
Following, love your reports! Your kids are adorable :) jealous of the royal room, I'm staying at POFQ next year

Thank you so much! The Royal Room was definitely a treat for us! We have stayed at POFQ in the past- it is a great resort. I love how small it is - and don't forget, you can swim at Riverside too! When are you going?

krause

I'm really enjoying this trip report. It's so interesting to compare everyone's reports on what was happening at Disney during the hurricane. I'm impressed that you chose to go even though everyone was trying to stop you - it was clearly worth it and I would have done the same thing! I am staying at POR next February for the first time so I've enjoyed seeing your pictures from there too! Wish we could have gotten a royal room it looks amazing :inlove: Looking forward to the rest of the report!

Figment Forever

Original Poster
It's amazing how well they do during the storm to keep the kids entertained. That's amazing.

curious though... do not they off any celiac friendly bagged lunches? Since I have celiac, it's always something i've thought about!!

I didn't see "GF" bagged meals. While I choose to be on a GF diet, I am not diagnosed with Celiac. I had some yucky digestive issues and since getting rid of most gluten, I've felt a lot better. So I can just remove the bread or rolls, and I'm okay. So that's what I did. There was so much going on, I didn't feel the need to bother anyone with special requests. But I think if I had asked, they probably would have made me a sandwich on a GF roll, since they have them. Everything else in the sandwich bag was GF except the cookie.

Figment Forever

Original Poster
I'm really enjoying this trip report. It's so interesting to compare everyone's reports on what was happening at Disney during the hurricane. I'm impressed that you chose to go even though everyone was trying to stop you - it was clearly worth it and I would have done the same thing! I am staying at POR next February for the first time so I've enjoyed seeing your pictures from there too! Wish we could have gotten a royal room it looks amazing :inlove: Looking forward to the rest of the report!

Thanks so much for following along! I was second guessing myself even a couple of days after Irma, but looking back, I'm glad we went. It was definitely a time I will never forget. The Royal Room was a real treat, but not something we could have done for more than one night. Have fun on your February trip!! Don't forget to make use of the boat to Disney Springs - it's a great option!

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I kept telling my family & friends that watching the local news in Orlando was different from watching a national news station or a local NY station. I expected my parents and my hubby to be worried, but I was shocked how many other people kept texting with concern. I think it added to my nervousness somewhat. However, it also made me feel thankful snd blessed that there are a lot of people in our lives that genuinely care about us - so that's how I looked at it. But it was funny - my folks didn't believe that we never lost power either! lol

Wow - 9:30 - that's pretty cool. So glad you had a good time. Wish we could have crossed paths at one point! Thanks for following!

I did a poor job of paying attention to who was going down to visit IRMA with us from the boards. Because we were in the main building of the Wilderness lodge we had the place to wander around. Sunday we had one of those coves on the 5th floor atrium and the one with the fireplace and the big comfy Mission Chairs and a small table. We coveted an extra chair for when ManChild was done with watching football in the lounge. We held our ground and kept our spot figuring sooner or later they'd send us off to our rooms. At 9:00pm we were eating at Artist point, (plate glass massive windows :rolleyes:) and you could see management start to scurry about. The wind had picked up dramatically, they closed down the lounge and ended the activities for the kids in the lobby. Management asked if we were staying in the main building or if we had to go out to return to a different building? When we finished at 930 eating everyone pretty much made their way to their rooms as it was a long day hibernating in the lodge already and they shuttered any reason to be downstairs. We slept in and the sun was out in the morning. We were a 1/3 of the way through our vacation and well rested and rejuvenated.

But yeah, it was annoying to be told we didn't have power...and at a certain point when I'm saying we are fine and everything is stable at the resort I didn't need hourly check ups and certainly not day 1 and day 2 back in the parks. My thought If I am riding attractions and the parks are open, they have power. :facepalm:

Figment Forever

Original Poster
Sunday, September 10th Continued...

Once in our room, we got settled in. Hope was just busting to build her Lego sets, so I got those out for her. Julia set up her Monopoly set, but decided to do some schoolwork before we played. As homeschoolers, we never had to worry about our vacation getting in the way of school, but now since Julia is in 10th grade and enrolled in several Online courses, she has deadlines she has to follow. So that meant chemistry and Japanese came along with her. All her other subjects were okay with the break.

IMG_3484.JPG
IMG_3485.JPG
IMG_3487.JPG
IMG_3488.JPG
IMG_3491.JPG

A funny story... As we were settling in, Julia informed me that we were running out of toilet paper. There was no housekeeping today and we didn't know when it would start up again, so I figured we better get some more. I donned my poncho and headed back to the main building.

IMG_3493.JPG

When I got there, it was still busy with activities and Pluto and Goofy were there entertaining the crowd.

IMG_3498.JPG
IMG_3500.JPG
IMG_3495.JPG
IMG_3501.JPG

I stood in line and the desk and when it was my turn, I asked the CM if he knew where I could get some extra toilet paper. His face stared at me for a few seconds and then he started to laugh. He said, that's the first time he ever was asked that question. He disappeared in the back and emerged with a bag with 2 rolls for us - more than enough. lol I thanked him and he thanked me for giving him a chuckle.

I tried to remember to thank every CM I came in contact with. After all, these were the ones who were here to ride out the hurricane in the resort. And they were doing an awesome job. Before I left, I mentioned to the CM how amazing everyone was. He said they (Disney) learned a hard lesson with Matthew last year. He said they really tried to correct everything that went wrong.

Last edited:

Figment Forever

Original Poster

By now, it was pouring outside and the wind was really starting to blow.

I would watch the local channel for the latest Irma updates between Hope watching those crazy new style Mickey Mouse Cartoons!

Hope built all of her Lego sets within a few hours...

IMG_3509.JPG
IMG_3510.JPG
IMG_3511.JPG

Then she joined Julia and I in a game of Monopoly. She didn’t really play, but she rolled the dice for me and moved my character around the board.

IMG_3516.JPG
IMG_3518.JPG
IMG_3521.JPG

IMG_3517.JPG

We had our “hurricane” dinner sandwiches and salads. I have to say, the sandwich from Boardwalk Bakery was really yummy! We also had our share of snacks too!

We heard the wind and the rain getting stronger as day turned into night. They said the worst would hit between 2:00-5:00AM. Julia was nervous because of the pool right outside our door, she thought our room may flood. I told her I didn’t think so, but I did put some towels at the bottom of our door just in case.

IMG_3534.JPG

IMG_3529.JPG

The girls got ready for bed and by about 10PM, they were asleep. I tried to stay up, I was nervous – I had to admit. It was then that they announced for certain, Irma changed her course again and now was heading for WDW – specifically Epcot & Magic Kingdom.

I threw a flashlight, some blankets and my battery charger in the bathroom – just in case anything flew threw our window.

IMG_3535.JPG

I kept the news on and I probably fell asleep around 3AM…

Up next: The Day After Irma

AKemily

Enjoying your report! It is interesting to see how Disney handles these situations. It seems like they do a great job all things considered. It's wonderful how all the characters come and have fun with the guests!
Julia's Monopoly set is sooo cute! I may have to make room in my suitcase on my next trip to bring one of those back with me :)

Ellen Ripley

Really enjoying the report. I always follow your family's WDW journeys on here, but the fact that you were there for Irma, makes it all the more interesting. I went through the hurricane as well, but in another part of Florida. Thank you for the report. You have a lovely family.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom