1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Trip Report Hurricanes, Foot Pains and “What The Crocs Just Happened?” Anniversary Tale – A Sept/Irma 2017 TR

Discussion in 'WDW Trip Reports' started by Figment Forever, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Matty30

Matty30 Well-Known Member

Love the video of hope dancing! I can't believe how much stuff they had out for the kids to do!

Figment Forever and Bullseye1967 like this.
  2. RedNoseMickey

RedNoseMickey Well-Known Member

I am very impressed with how Disney and you handled Irma. Free games, activities and plenty of food sound like the best way to pass the time.

Figment Forever likes this.
  3. Figment Forever

Figment Forever Well-Known Member Original Poster

I kept telling my family & friends that watching the local news in Orlando was different from watching a national news station or a local NY station. I expected my parents and my hubby to be worried, but I was shocked how many other people kept texting with concern. I think it added to my nervousness somewhat. However, it also made me feel thankful snd blessed that there are a lot of people in our lives that genuinely care about us - so that's how I looked at it. But it was funny - my folks didn't believe that we never lost power either! lol

Wow - 9:30 - that's pretty cool. So glad you had a good time. Wish we could have crossed paths at one point! Thanks for following!

4. Figment Forever

I certainly hope not, that was not my intention. :(

djpoore94 and wiscbugs like this.
  5. Figment Forever

Thank you! I was lucky that @meg0039 gave me a heads up to what WDW may do. Funny, I think we had just as much fun that day as any of our other days. We got to experience of lot of activities that I wouldn't normally stop to do in Disney. Ex: Blowing bubbles, hula hoops, coloring, games (that they would normally have at the pool)...

meg0039 likes this.
  6. Figment Forever

They were amazing. Every time I spoke to a CM, I thanked them for everything that they were doing - they really went above & beyond.

7. Berry91

Berry91 Member

Following, love your reports! Your kids are adorable :) jealous of the royal room, I'm staying at POFQ next year

Figment Forever likes this.
  8. ScarletBegonias

ScarletBegonias Well-Known Member

It's amazing how well they do during the storm to keep the kids entertained. That's amazing.

curious though... do not they off any celiac friendly bagged lunches? Since I have celiac, it's always something i've thought about!!

krisri18 and Figment Forever like this.
  9. Figment Forever

Thank you so much! The Royal Room was definitely a treat for us! We have stayed at POFQ in the past- it is a great resort. I love how small it is - and don't forget, you can swim at Riverside too! When are you going?

10. krause

krause Member

I'm really enjoying this trip report. It's so interesting to compare everyone's reports on what was happening at Disney during the hurricane. I'm impressed that you chose to go even though everyone was trying to stop you - it was clearly worth it and I would have done the same thing! I am staying at POR next February for the first time so I've enjoyed seeing your pictures from there too! Wish we could have gotten a royal room it looks amazing :inlove: Looking forward to the rest of the report!

AKemily and Figment Forever like this.
  11. Figment Forever

I didn't see "GF" bagged meals. While I choose to be on a GF diet, I am not diagnosed with Celiac. I had some yucky digestive issues and since getting rid of most gluten, I've felt a lot better. So I can just remove the bread or rolls, and I'm okay. So that's what I did. There was so much going on, I didn't feel the need to bother anyone with special requests. But I think if I had asked, they probably would have made me a sandwich on a GF roll, since they have them. Everything else in the sandwich bag was GF except the cookie.

12. Figment Forever

Thanks so much for following along! I was second guessing myself even a couple of days after Irma, but looking back, I'm glad we went. It was definitely a time I will never forget. The Royal Room was a real treat, but not something we could have done for more than one night. Have fun on your February trip!! Don't forget to make use of the boat to Disney Springs - it's a great option!

krause likes this.
  13. Gabe1

Gabe1 Premium Member

I did a poor job of paying attention to who was going down to visit IRMA with us from the boards. Because we were in the main building of the Wilderness lodge we had the place to wander around. Sunday we had one of those coves on the 5th floor atrium and the one with the fireplace and the big comfy Mission Chairs and a small table. We coveted an extra chair for when ManChild was done with watching football in the lounge. We held our ground and kept our spot figuring sooner or later they'd send us off to our rooms. At 9:00pm we were eating at Artist point, (plate glass massive windows :rolleyes:) and you could see management start to scurry about. The wind had picked up dramatically, they closed down the lounge and ended the activities for the kids in the lobby. Management asked if we were staying in the main building or if we had to go out to return to a different building? When we finished at 930 eating everyone pretty much made their way to their rooms as it was a long day hibernating in the lodge already and they shuttered any reason to be downstairs. We slept in and the sun was out in the morning. We were a 1/3 of the way through our vacation and well rested and rejuvenated.

But yeah, it was annoying to be told we didn't have power...and at a certain point when I'm saying we are fine and everything is stable at the resort I didn't need hourly check ups and certainly not day 1 and day 2 back in the parks. My thought If I am riding attractions and the parks are open, they have power. :facepalm:

Bullseye1967 and Figment Forever like this.
  14. Figment Forever

Sunday, September 10th Continued...

Once in our room, we got settled in. Hope was just busting to build her Lego sets, so I got those out for her. Julia set up her Monopoly set, but decided to do some schoolwork before we played. As homeschoolers, we never had to worry about our vacation getting in the way of school, but now since Julia is in 10th grade and enrolled in several Online courses, she has deadlines she has to follow. So that meant chemistry and Japanese came along with her. All her other subjects were okay with the break.

IMG_3484.JPG IMG_3485.JPG IMG_3487.JPG IMG_3488.JPG IMG_3491.JPG

A funny story... As we were settling in, Julia informed me that we were running out of toilet paper. There was no housekeeping today and we didn't know when it would start up again, so I figured we better get some more. I donned my poncho and headed back to the main building.

IMG_3493.JPG

When I got there, it was still busy with activities and Pluto and Goofy were there entertaining the crowd.

IMG_3498.JPG IMG_3500.JPG IMG_3495.JPG IMG_3501.JPG

I stood in line and the desk and when it was my turn, I asked the CM if he knew where I could get some extra toilet paper. His face stared at me for a few seconds and then he started to laugh. He said, that's the first time he ever was asked that question. He disappeared in the back and emerged with a bag with 2 rolls for us - more than enough. lol I thanked him and he thanked me for giving him a chuckle.

I tried to remember to thank every CM I came in contact with. After all, these were the ones who were here to ride out the hurricane in the resort. And they were doing an awesome job. Before I left, I mentioned to the CM how amazing everyone was. He said they (Disney) learned a hard lesson with Matthew last year. He said they really tried to correct everything that went wrong.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    blgauger, Gabe1, becca_ and 12 others like this.
  15. Figment Forever

On my way back to the room, I made a wrong turn and found myself behind the pool area. Ross called me so I walked up by the Muddy River Lounge to take cover from the rain and talk to him.

While I was there, I noticed how the staff had secured all the chairs and tables.

IMG_3502.JPG IMG_3503.JPG IMG_3504.JPG IMG_3507.JPG

I guess someone's umbrella didn't survive.

IMG_3508.JPG

blgauger, Gabe1, becca_ and 12 others like this.
  16. Figment Forever

By now, it was pouring outside and the wind was really starting to blow.

I would watch the local channel for the latest Irma updates between Hope watching those crazy new style Mickey Mouse Cartoons!

Hope built all of her Lego sets within a few hours...

IMG_3509.JPG IMG_3510.JPG IMG_3511.JPG

Then she joined Julia and I in a game of Monopoly. She didn’t really play, but she rolled the dice for me and moved my character around the board.

IMG_3516.JPG IMG_3518.JPG IMG_3521.JPG
    IMG_3517.JPG

We had our “hurricane” dinner sandwiches and salads. I have to say, the sandwich from Boardwalk Bakery was really yummy! We also had our share of snacks too!

We heard the wind and the rain getting stronger as day turned into night. They said the worst would hit between 2:00-5:00AM. Julia was nervous because of the pool right outside our door, she thought our room may flood. I told her I didn’t think so, but I did put some towels at the bottom of our door just in case.

IMG_3534.JPG

IMG_3529.JPG

The girls got ready for bed and by about 10PM, they were asleep. I tried to stay up, I was nervous – I had to admit. It was then that they announced for certain, Irma changed her course again and now was heading for WDW – specifically Epcot & Magic Kingdom.

I threw a flashlight, some blankets and my battery charger in the bathroom – just in case anything flew threw our window.

IMG_3535.JPG

I kept the news on and I probably fell asleep around 3AM…

Up next: The Day After Irma

blgauger, Gabe1, becca_ and 16 others like this.
  17. rshell68

rshell68 Well-Known Member

Yeah really not my favorites. There are some really creepy ones. I miss the old cartoons.

Gurt, Figment Forever and Cetta like this.
  18. Figment Forever

Me too! It looks like this will be the design for the new ride "Mickey'& Minnie's Runaway Railway".

rshell68 likes this.
  19. AKemily

AKemily New Member

Enjoying your report! It is interesting to see how Disney handles these situations. It seems like they do a great job all things considered. It's wonderful how all the characters come and have fun with the guests!
    Julia's Monopoly set is sooo cute! I may have to make room in my suitcase on my next trip to bring one of those back with me :)

20. Ellen Ripley

Ellen Ripley Active Member

Really enjoying the report. I always follow your family's WDW journeys on here, but the fact that you were there for Irma, makes it all the more interesting. I went through the hurricane as well, but in another part of Florida. Thank you for the report. You have a lovely family.

Figment Forever and dclfan like this.