Trip Report Hurricanes, Foot Pains and “What The Crocs Just Happened?” Anniversary Tale – A Sept/Irma 2017 TR (COMPLETED)

So here we are again… Another amazing trip is over.

IMG_4614.JPG

My original title for the is report was:

The Best-Laid Plans Of The Mouse & Men…
because so many of our carefully thought out schedules & plans were completely turned upside down by Irma and other “forces” along the way.

However, Ross and Julia who do not share my love for Robert Burns or John Steinbeck vetoed that and came up with their own title.

Before I begin our tale, I want to express and offer our thoughts and prayers to all who suffered in Hurricane Irma as well as Harvey & Maria. There are times when I joke about the fact that we were in Florida during the hurricane, but in no way do I not realize the devastation that was caused to so many.

That being said... Let the Trip Report begin! Who’s in?

Figment Forever

Original Poster
It was getting close to our dinner ADR so we made our way over to Liberty Square and LTT. We have had lunch here before – many years ago, but we have never done dinner, so it felt like a new experience.

IMG_6315.JPG
IMG_6316.JPG

We waited about 15 minutes to be called so Hope had fun with the coloring sheets. She actually hates to color (prefers puzzles) so I was surprised she liked it so much!

IMG_6320.JPG

As soon as we were seated, the food started. What a feast! I have to say, this was one of the best GF meals I’ve experienced. Stuffing, mashed potatoes & gravy! All of it was CRAZY yum.

IMG_6322.JPG
IMG_6323.JPG
IMG_6325.JPG
IMG_6327.JPG
IMG_6332.JPG
IMG_6333.JPG

Hope apparently had enough with the paparazzi...

IMG_6339.JPG

As we were gorging ourselves, we noticed that there was a table behind us with a large family that was fighting. It became so awkward! It seemed it was a mom & dad with 2 young children and the grandparents. It was one of those situations when the grandparents must have been “parenting” the kids. We heard things like, “They are my children and what I say goes”, “You don’t make the rules” and “You need to respect my decisions!” Of course the grandparents shot back with things like, “You will understand when you’re older”, “It won’t hurt the kids” and “you’re being unreasonable”.

They kept getting louder and louder – and neither side was backing down.

Finally, the mom said she was done. She was in charge of her kids and if her mom didn’t get it – too bad! With that, she collected her kids and her husband, who really didn’t say a peep the whole time, and left the restaurant! The grandparents asked for the check, paid and left without eating. The waitress asked if they wanted to speak with a manager - I think she thought something was wrong with the food.

I felt bad for all involved. Who wants to have a blow out fight in Disney? No magical memories there!

Figment Forever

Original Poster
After dinner, we started to walk off some of our calories.

PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_404985254230.JPG

Hope wanted to watch HEA, but we were too late to make it to the front of the castle, so we watched it from Frontierland. It was nice – not the same, but still a very nice show.

IMG_6349.JPG

After HEA Hope wanted to ride 7DMT so we walked over. We had a return time from earlier in the day. I’m not sure what came over me – but I was exhausted! We boarded the mine train and paused for a few minutes before we disembarked. I’m not sure what happened, but I was dozing off on the ride. I was mortified at the end when this was the ride photo I had…
PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_8099811463.jpeg

And yes @lostpro9het believe it or not this was NOT acting skills – I really fell asleep. Ross was hysterical and I had to come to terms with the fact that others had this same ridiculous picture of me!

I guess my humiliation woke me up. Julia wanted to play SOTMK so Ross took Hope off to do other things while Julia put on her sorcerer hat. She was getting the hang of it – so it was a little easier to play tonight. Still not MagiQuest, but she still loved it.

IMG_6360.JPG
IMG_6364.JPG

IMG_6391.JPG

Before we met up with Ross and Hope, we decided to ride SM one more time. The guy behind us was hysterical!

PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_8099820514.jpeg
IMG_6408.JPG

Ross was waiting for us at the exit. Hope was sound asleep. We headed back home. Our vacation was coming to an end and it was so hard to believe how fast the time was going.

IMG_6411.JPG

Up Next: Hope gets a backstage pass, but will she use it??

Attachments

• IMG_6404.JPG
    IMG_6404.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 218

Jamie77

As we were gorging ourselves, we noticed that there was a table behind us with a large family that was fighting. It became so awkward! It seemed it was a mom & dad with 2 young children and the grandparents. It was one of those situations when the grandparents must have been “parenting” the kids. We heard things like, “They are my children and what I say goes”, “You don’t make the rules” and “You need to respect my decisions!” Of course the grandparents shot back with things like, “You will understand when you’re older”, “It won’t hurt the kids” and “you’re being unreasonable”.

They kept getting louder and louder – and neither side was backing down.

Finally, the mom said she was done. She was in charge of her kids and if her mom didn’t get it – too bad! With that, she collected her kids and her husband, who really didn’t say a peep the whole time, and left the restaurant! The grandparents asked for the check, paid and left without eating. The waitress asked if they wanted to speak with a manager - I think she thought something was wrong with the food.

I felt bad for all involved. Who wants to have a blow out fight in Disney? No magical memories there!

What audacity to disrespect her parents in public that way and then leave expecting her parents to pick up the check! She sounds like a spoiled brat who knows that her parents will pick up the slack no matter how she behaves. She must be really fun to live with.

Figment Forever

Original Poster
Day 14: Thursday, September 21th

Our trip was winding down…. 3 days to go.

Everyone was exhausted from 2 back to back EMH nights and Ross was still recouping, so we all slept late. Today we were planning a full day in EPCOT but we all felt like visiting HS again. So we decided we would begin our day there. We stopped in the food court for breakfast first.

IMG_6419.JPG
IMG_6420.JPG
IMG_6423.JPG

It was almost 11:00 before we hopped on a bus to the studios.

IMG_6430.JPG
IMG_6432.JPG
IMG_6435.JPG
IMG_6440.JPG
IMG_6445.jpg
IMG_6446.JPG
IMG_6450.JPG

Figment Forever

Original Poster
We started the day with VOTLM. I know many people feel this show is old and should be changed, but I still love it.

IMG_6453.JPG

Then we walked across to Disney Jr.

I can’t help remembering about how this show was all Hope ever thought about – and the only attraction she wanted to do in HS! Now she has so many other interests. I’m sort of sad wondering if and when she will “grow” out of it.

IMG_6454.JPG
IMG_6456.JPG
IMG_6458.JPG
IMG_6471.JPG

A little back story… When Hope was 3 ½, the world of Autism still felt new and so overwhelming to us. It was even before I realized I could get a disability assistance card at WDW to help us out. Hope was completely non-verbal. We tried teaching her signs, but even that wasn’t going so well. She couldn’t even point to things, so communication was non-existent between us. Everything was a guessing game – and a very frustrating one.

So here we were in WDW coming out of Disney Jr. Live On Stage. She was walking with Ross while Julia and I were walking a little bit in front of them. We were heading across to VOTLM when I realized Hope & Ross were no longer behind us.

I grabbed Julia’s hand and ran back to Disney Jr. and there they were under the big “Disney Jr.” sign. Hope was on the ground SCREAMING out of control. Ross was frantic – he was trying to pick her up, but he couldn’t even get her off the ground.

He looked at me so scared and said, “I don’t know what’s wrong – she just started to scream and all she does is flap her arms together. What does this mean?” He motioned his hands together touching the tips of his fingers. I looked at Hope on the ground completely inconsolable. She was frantically touching the tips of her fingers together again and again.

I started to cry. I looked at Ross and said, “She’s making the sign for “more”! She wants to see the show again!” I got down on the ground and told her we would go back on line for the show. She started to calm down, the crying stopped and she got off the ground. We all walked back into the show.

It was the first word she ever “spoke” to us. So Disney Jr. Live On Stage will always hold a special spot in my heart...

Figment Forever

Original Poster
Ross & Julia used the bathroom so Hope & I waited in the gift shop. OMG is Hope looking at something besides a Tsum Tsum?

IMG_6477.JPG
IMG_6478.JPG

I never did make it into Launch Bay this year!

IMG_6476.JPG

Then we went over to TSMM. The standby line was closed again! Ross would prevail this time.

IMG_6479.JPG
IMG_6481.JPG
IMG_6479.JPG
IMG_6481.JPG
IMG_6483.JPG

IMG_6486.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6482.JPG
    IMG_6482.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_6487.JPG
    IMG_6487.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 222

Figment Forever

Original Poster
We made our way over to ToT… I don't think I will ever enjoy this ride!

IMG_6492.JPG
IMG_6493.JPG
IMG_6497.JPG
PhotoPass_Visiting_STUDIO_405723376702.jpeg

And then R&R.

IMG_6499.JPG

I think Ross wanted Hope to ride more than I did. I was not as worried for this ride – like I worry about Space Mountain, because I like the restraints. I didn’t think she would go flying out. But it does rattle your brains a little and I didn’t want her to get completely freaked out and NEVER ride a rollercoaster again. I can usually judge how far I can push Hope into something. For me, R&R was a no-go. I didn’t think she wanted to do it nor did I feel it was worth talking her into it. We offered her a Disney Dollar, and she flat out said, “NO thank you!” I can just get a feeling sometimes and this was one of those times when I knew, in the words of Han Solo, “I’ve got a bad feeling about this.”

However, Ross was a little more hopeful. He pushed her stroller all the way to the boarding area.

IMG_6500.JPG
IMG_6503.JPG
IMG_6508.JPG
IMG_6510.JPG

All the time she was saying, “You’re NOT going to ride!”

Sure enough, when we got to the point of the CM assigning a row, Ross took Hope out the chicken exit. I offered to let him ride with Julia, but he said no – he would meet us at the exit. I felt better – I didn’t think she was ready.

PhotoPass_Visiting_STUDIO_405723208181.jpeg

When we rejoined them, I asked if Ross wanted to ride again with Julia, but he declined. He wanted to make the next show of B&TB – since we hadn’t seen it yet.

Figment Forever

Original Poster
IMG_6549.jpg
IMG_6553.JPG

Of course, before the drama began on stage we had a little pre-show antics. There were two women sitting in front of us along with a little boy and a little girl. The little boy started to spit on the little girl. The women were not paying attention even when the little girl cried out in disgust. However, there was an older woman sitting on their left who piped up and yelled at him.

At first I thought she was the grandmother – but no – a complete stranger! That got the attention of the two women who looked at her startled. She said to them very sternly, “This young man spit on the little princess and I told him that royalty is never to be spit on!” The two women scooted over a little – I think they were embarrassed. But they didn’t even say a word to the boy – not even to have him apologize to the little girl.

However, I think the young boy took the worlds of the woman to heart because he calmed down and became very nice. As a matter of fact, during the show, he scooted back over to the woman who yelled at him – they were now like best friends! She was even explaining some of the things taking place in the show that he didn’t understand.

IMG_6548.JPG

After the show we all got some cool drinks...

IMG_6563.JPG
IMG_6564.JPG
IMG_6565.JPG

Figment Forever

Original Poster
Then went over to the Frozen show. I was hoping Ben (now that I know his name) would be there, but no. We had two historians I had never seen before and they weren’t very funny. Well, maybe they were but I’ve been spoiled.

IMG_6566.JPG
IMG_6569.JPG

One day we'll go see this...

IMG_6607.JPG

We said our goodbyes to Gertie, a favorite of Julia.

IMG_6580.JPG
IMG_6609.JPG
IMG_6613.JPG
PhotoPass_Visiting_STUDIO_405004654173.JPG
PhotoPass_Visiting_STUDIO_405004654164.JPG

Figaro Family

A little back story… When Hope was 3 ½, the world of Autism still felt new and so overwhelming to us. It was even before I realized I could get a disability assistance card at WDW to help us out. Hope was completely non-verbal. We tried teaching her signs, but even that wasn’t going so well. She couldn’t even point to things, so communication was non-existent between us. Everything was a guessing game – and a very frustrating one.

So here we were in WDW coming out of Disney Jr. Live On Stage. She was walking with Ross while Julia and I were walking a little bit in front of them. We were heading across to VOTLM when I realized Hope & Ross were no longer behind us.

I grabbed Julia’s hand and ran back to Disney Jr. and there they were under the big “Disney Jr.” sign. Hope was on the ground SCREAMING out of control. Ross was frantic – he was trying to pick her up, but he couldn’t even get her off the ground.

He looked at me so scared and said, “I don’t know what’s wrong – she just started to scream and all she does is flap her arms together. What does this mean?” He motioned his hands together touching the tips of his fingers. I looked at Hope on the ground completely inconsolable. She was frantically touching the tips of her fingers together again and again.

I started to cry. I looked at Ross and said, “She’s making the sign for “more”! She wants to see the show again!” I got down on the ground and told her we would go back on line for the show. She started to calm down, the crying stopped and she got off the ground. We all walked back into the show.

It was the first word she ever “spoke” to us. So Disney Jr. Live On Stage will always hold a special spot in my heart...
This story makes my heart melt!!
It reminds me of when we were in Disneyland when Xander was 8 and he was way less likely to say words than he is now. We had just ridden on the Carousel and were going to walk to something else when he threw himself on the ground and started crying and slithering away. I couldn't get him back up and he was very frantic. Suddenly he exclaims "Frog! Frog!" I look up and realize he is staring at Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. "You want to go on the Frog ride?" I ask. He looks at me and says "Frog" again. We went on that ride many times on that trip and it was still a favorite the next time. I was so beyond happy that my baby used a word to tell me what he wanted!

KatieLVT

We started the day with VOTLM. I know many people feel this show is old and should be changed, but I still love it.

View attachment 269420

Then we walked across to Disney Jr.

I can’t help remembering about how this show was all Hope ever thought about – and the only attraction she wanted to do in HS! Now she has so many other interests. I’m sort of sad wondering if and when she will “grow” out of it.

View attachment 269421View attachment 269422View attachment 269423View attachment 269424

Wow...this story! I was in tears (happy ones!) reading this. What an amazing moment for you guys. And to think how far Hope has come today...so awesome!! :)

Figment Forever

Original Poster
What audacity to disrespect her parents in public that way and then leave expecting her parents to pick up the check! She sounds like a spoiled brat who knows that her parents will pick up the slack no matter how she behaves. She must be really fun to live with.

It was a very uncomfortable situation. I'm just glad I didn't have to go home with any of them.

Figment Forever

Original Poster
This story makes my heart melt!!
It reminds me of when we were in Disneyland when Xander was 8 and he was way less likely to say words than he is now. We had just ridden on the Carousel and were going to walk to something else when he threw himself on the ground and started crying and slithering away. I couldn't get him back up and he was very frantic. Suddenly he exclaims "Frog! Frog!" I look up and realize he is staring at Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. "You want to go on the Frog ride?" I ask. He looks at me and says "Frog" again. We went on that ride many times on that trip and it was still a favorite the next time. I was so beyond happy that my baby used a word to tell me what he wanted!

That's so sweet! Amazing how Disney helps break down their barriers!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom