Hurricane Repercussions?

joanjett1976

Original Poster
For those of you who have been through this, what would the repercussions be? I am flying in on Monday. I expect that the weather won't be magically restored to positively 'sunny' only a few days after a hurricane but what should i expect?

wolf29

Very often, the day after a storm like this is quite nice. Probably have the usual weather you would find in Orlando at this time of year.

Boo's Mom

I heard from somebody that disney would be closed through the weekend. I'm leaving tomorrow at 5 or 6Pm for disney. I will arrive around 6 in the morning sunday and monday will be our first park day. I sure do hope this trip won't be messed up too bad by this hurricane!

Ringo8n24

There will be tree damage along with mangled billboards across the major highways and interstates through there. Most likely there will still be concentrated power outages. We lost electricity in Hurricane Elena 1985 and did not get it back for another week. Man, was it hot. Most of the restaurants on the coast were out of power as well. The ones who had power were super packed.

Atta83

If there is any damage to Disney you sure will hear about it here. They are under a tornado warning right now which is serious. But we will have to keep watching the tv, me and the weather channel and weather.com have become friends today....

Boo's Mom

Boo's Mom said:
I heard from somebody that disney would be closed through the weekend. I'm leaving tomorrow at 5 or 6Pm for disney. I will arrive around 6 in the morning sunday and monday will be our first park day. I sure do hope this trip won't be messed up too bad by this hurricane!

CORRECTION: we are leaving at 7:30am Saturday morning to go to Disney.
We are leaving earlier that we were going to leave as to run into the hurricane in the daytime and not at night in case some tornados should form and we could see them better. Plus its easier to drive during the day in bad weather than at night in bad weather, although it could get really bad during the day too. Are we crazy? I think....yes! :hammer:

Atta83

Just be safe on the road. If you see a tornado on the road go to a ditch or a underpass of a highway if you are near one.

Have a safe trip!!!

Nicole

Boo's Mom said:
CORRECTION: we are leaving at 7:30am Saturday morning to go to Disney.
We are leaving earlier that we were going to leave as to run into the hurricane in the daytime and not at night in case some tornados should form and we could see them better. Plus its easier to drive during the day in bad weather than at night in bad weather, although it could get really bad during the day too. Are we crazy? I think....yes! :hammer:

Boo's Mom, it's none of my beeswax but if I were you I would NOT be on the roads tomorrow. Hurricane Charley is forecasted to basically be headed straight up I-95, which I'm assuming is the route you'd be taking. You'll head straight in to the full force of the storm IF they don't shut down the highways. I think you'd be much better off waiting till Sunday mid-day to leave, that way you don't risk getting stranded in your car along the side of the road. NC's governor recently had a news conference and the state is taking Charley VERY seriously. Don't risk your life (besides, I experience every day how NC drivers can be in GOOD weather! stay home!! LOL)

boo52

Disney is scheduled to be open tomorrow. In fact the MK has extended there hours tomorrow and have added a 2nd Spectro.

Mission: SPACE

The few days after a hurricane are generally pretty nice. The hurricane is a massive low pressure. It's essentially the same as any other low pressure related storm, but with much more power. Typically the only clouds you'll see after a storm are from the east coast seabreeze meeting the west coast seabreeze, which generally occurs closer to the gulf.

Don't expect poor weather because of the hurricane. The only concern for northern amd central Florida is power outages, downed trees, and various debris. Within a few days of the storm, everything will be back to normal.

I live 20-30 miles from where the hurricane made landfall, and we didn't see wind speeds over 35 mph or so, with gusts topping 45-50 mph, at the most. Hurricanes are really only devastating right at the eye and extening about 15 miles to each side of it.

Even the tornado warning doesn't mean that much. There's been reports of three withing the surrounding area here, and the majority of the major storm has passed through. Tornado warnings are a common occurence in Florida. They come with almost all large thunderstorms.

Mission: SPACE

The few days after a hurricane are generally pretty nice. The hurricane is a massive low pressure. It's essentially the same as any other low pressure related storm, but with much more power. Typically the only clouds you'll see after a storm are from the east coast seabreeze meeting the west coast seabreeze, which generally occurs closer to the gulf.

Don't expect poor weather because of the hurricane. The only concern for northern amd central Florida is power outages, downed trees, and various debris. Within a few days of the storm, everything will be back to normal.

I live 20-30 miles from where the hurricane made landfall, and we didn't see wind speeds over 35 mph or so, with gusts topping 45-50 mph, at the most. Hurricanes are really only devastating right at the eye and extening about 15 miles to each side of it.

Even the tornado warning doesn't mean that much. There's been reports of three withing the surrounding area here, and the majority of the major storm has passed through. Tornado warnings are a common occurence in Florida. They come with almost all large thunderstorms.

BTW, for anyone wondering about fatalities related to the storm, a person was driving on I-75 in Sarasota around Clark Road (exit 205?) and hydroplaned, hitting trees off the road. It's sad that someone has perished because of their own negligence.

Boo's Mom

NSCMC said:
Boo's Mom, it's none of my beeswax but if I were you I would NOT be on the roads tomorrow. Hurricane Charley is forecasted to basically be headed straight up I-95, which I'm assuming is the route you'd be taking. You'll head straight in to the full force of the storm IF they don't shut down the highways. I think you'd be much better off waiting till Sunday mid-day to leave, that way you don't risk getting stranded in your car along the side of the road. NC's governor recently had a news conference and the state is taking Charley VERY seriously. Don't risk your life (besides, I experience every day how NC drivers can be in GOOD weather! stay home!! LOL)

we are now thinking of taking 85 (instead of 95) to atlanta and then getting back on our normal track. we have been trying to map it out but we cannot find a good map. We cannot extend the trip any longer because I start college a few days after we get back so thats out of the question

Nicole

Boo's Mom said:
we are now thinking of taking 85 (instead of 95) to atlanta and then getting back on our normal track. we have been trying to map it out but we cannot find a good map. We cannot extend the trip any longer because I start college a few days after we get back so thats out of the question

Whew! Okay, I guess I can support that :rolleyes: even though I still have two weeks till my vacation and the envy of someone getting to go now is almost overwhelming!!

Have a great trip.

Boo's Mom

ok we called disney and asked for their opinion of us coming from Richmond, Va to disney tomorrow. we are leaving at 7:30 am and we are taking 95. we are prepared as the storm won't be as strong now so off to disney I go! this will probably be my last post for a week so everybody take care and I'll post a trip report when I get back!!

much love,
Boo's ma
Heather
Bird Lady
Boo
Noel and the rest of my zoo!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom