Hurricane Joanna

Stitchfan712

Original Poster
Hurricane Jeanne

Well, I've been curious as to when the next hurricane after Ivan would be announced and here it is. Right now it's still a tropical depression, but over the next 3 days it's predicted to develop into a Category 4 hurricane, and is expected to follow a track very similar to Frances.

That means...it's headed straight for Florida. The 4th one in a row now.

Correction: Name is Jeanne, not Joanna. Local weatherman got it wrong.

PhotoDave219

Too early, too soon. Its still a tropical depression. when it hits hurricane strenth, call me. When its approachign the coast, then i'll worry. Until then, im enjoying mu hurricane free zone.

Plus it wont hit because i just bought a battery powered lamp....

aimster

Let's see... Earl started following the same path as Charley and it fizzled out. Ivan started following the same path as Charley and now it keeps going more west and looks like it'll hit the panhandle and/or Alabama/Louisana/Mississippi.

You never know what these storms are gonna do until they do it. They can fizzle out as quickly as the form and can change course at any time too.

And... I thought there was already a J storm... Hurricane Javier over on the other side of Mexico.

Mission: SPACE

Pacific storms and Atlantic storms have different sets of names...

And can we not worry about hurricanes until they are hurricanes? I'm so sick of hearing about them. I know that comes across rude, but when I look around me everyday and see the effects of the other two, I really don't want to come on here and be engrossed with what might or might not become Joanna. From what I saw, they're only projecting it to be a Cat 1 by the time it's in the Bahamas. That's not half as powerful as Frances.

Stitchfan712

Original Poster
Alright, mods delete this thread. Sorry for bringing it up for discussion. We'll talk about Jeanne...when it's closer to the States I guess.

wdwjmp239

Where are you getting your info from?

Stitchfan712 said:
Well, I've been curious as to when the next hurricane after Ivan would be announced and here it is. Right now it's still a tropical depression, but over the next 3 days it's predicted to develop into a Category 4 hurricane, and is expected to follow a track very similar to Frances.

That means...it's headed straight for Florida. The 4th one in a row now.

Correction: Name is Jeanne, not Joanna. Local weatherman got it wrong.

First of all, I would like to ask, "Where are you getting your information from?" Second of all, I just got done reading the National Hurricane Center's Discussion Notes on Tropical Depression 11 and 72-96 hrs out, they're only predicting this to be a Tropical Storm (NOT A CATEGORY 4 HURRICANE!!!).

I'm a hobbyist when it comes to tracking tropical cyclones and based on the current forecast models, this depression is following along the fringes of a Bermuda High sitting out over the Atlantic. It's called a "Bermuda High" because it's a high pressure system that sits over the island of Bermuda. It happens every summer. The western side of this high pressure system is where the depression is and it's looking like that the northern coastline of Georgia/southern coastline of South Carolina is where it's going to hit (if it does strike the US).

I recommend that you NOT post false rumors about hurricanes heading to Florida. We're a little frazzled down here and we would like to get our hurricane recovery process underway.

Please get the facts before posting. I don't know if you heard about the e-mail that some lady got in Jacksonville last week saying that Gov. Jeb Bush was starting to ration gasoline down here. That rumor spread threw the state in a tizzy and caused extremely long lines at the pumps on Thursday! Gov. Bush had to tell the public that the rumor was false and there was plenty of fuel to go around!

Locally, a woman that I work with spread a nasty rumor that Hurricane Ivan had SUSTAINED winds over 200 mph and it was making a beeline towards Collier County (where Naples is). Upper management caught wind of this and she was given a talking to (probably the same "talking to" I'm posting here). Please...get the facts straight... thanks! :)

Stitchfan712

Original Poster
Sigh, okay, taking this bit by bit:

ntn_haqqer said:
First of all, I would like to ask, "Where are you getting your information from?" Second of all, I just got done reading the National Hurricane Center's Discussion Notes on Tropical Depression 11 and 72-96 hrs out, they're only predicting this to be a Tropical Storm (NOT A CATEGORY 4 HURRICANE!!!).

Lately I have been getting 100% of my hurricane updates from the Weather Channel but tonight I went based on what our local weatherman was saying about the new tropical depression. Apparently he must have screwed up, first calling it "Joanna" and, based on your post, saying it would become a category 4 was also a mistake. I relayed here, what I heard on my local news.

ntn_haqqer said:
I'm a hobbyist when it comes to tracking tropical cyclones and based on the current forecast models, this depression is following along the fringes of a Bermuda High sitting out over the Atlantic. It's called a "Bermuda High" because it's a high pressure system that sits over the island of Bermuda. It happens every summer. The western side of this high pressure system is where the depression is and it's looking like that the northern coastline of Georgia/southern coastline of South Carolina is where it's going to hit (if it does strike the US).

I recommend that you NOT post false rumors about hurricanes heading to Florida. We're a little frazzled down here and we would like to get our hurricane recovery process underway.

And I, sir, am offended that you would assert that I'm posting false rumors about hurricanes. I have friends down there too, thinking of moving to Florida myself, I even donated $50 to the Cast Member Hurricane Relief Fund, and would kindly ask that you not assume that I'm trolling around to get people worried. I heard a report about the depression on the news, and decided to start a discussion on it based on the info I saw. That's all. I probably should have double-checked the weather channel first to verify its accuracy. But nevertheless, I CARE about what's going on in Florida right now and I am deeply offended at your assertion. That really hurts man. I got friends down there. :(

ntn_haqqer said:
Please get the facts before posting. I don't know if you heard about the e-mail that some lady got in Jacksonville last week saying that Gov. Jeb Bush was starting to ration gasoline down here. That rumor spread threw the state in a tizzy and caused extremely long lines at the pumps on Thursday! Gov. Bush had to tell the public that the rumor was false and there was plenty of fuel to go around!

Locally, a woman that I work with spread a nasty rumor that Hurricane Ivan had SUSTAINED winds over 200 mph and it was making a beeline towards Collier County (where Naples is). Upper management caught wind of this and she was given a talking to (probably the same "talking to" I'm posting here). Please...get the facts straight... thanks! :)

I hadn't heard of those rumours. But once again I say that I am not spreading rumors. I was relaying information that, apparently, was incorrect. And I do apologize. I wouldn't have imagined, at the start of this post, that it would cause this amount of trouble. If I had I would have just not posted a thing.

My apologies to everyone. Good lord. I feel very ashamed. My intentions were never foul. Just wanted to open a discussion. :(

burbur

ntn_haqqer said:
blah blah blah blah Upper management caught wind of this and she was given a talking to (probably the same "talking to" I'm posting here). Please...get the facts straight... thanks! :)

christ, chill dude.

patelaine1953

I agree with PhotoDave. Just try buying a generator and see what happens. Probably no more hurricanes for the rest of the season.:animwink:

The NHC is showing somewhat of a hook to the north starting between 2 a.m. Friday and 2 a.m. Saturday. They also don't show it reaching hurricane strength until about 2 a.m. Saturday. Hopefully this one gets turned back out into the Atlantic. (So maybe I'm doing a little bit of wishful thinking!) Anyway, I'll be at Disney by then so I don't care what happens for me. One member of my party leaves on Wednesday and another arrives so it could be a problem for them. Actually the person leaving is 10 yrs. old and wouldn't care if she gets to stay longer but her 17 yr. old sister will be disappointed if she doesn't get to come down because of weather.

Oh well, time will tell what happens and we can't hurry it along anyway!

scorp111

I am with you 100% Patelaine.

This mornings NOAA forecast does definitely have it turning, and of course nothing is set in stone.

I too will be at Disney in 2 days....

Let the good weather gods smile on us....

Atta83

Can we start a discussion on this when it possibly becomes a threat. I mean yeah its ok to put it out there, but until it gets closer we dont know, for all we know it could just drift away in the atlantic like Danielle did.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Not another one! If she comes by, I am going to Boston.

I swear, I need to move to California....at least earthquakes don't happen that often and when they do, they end very quickly.

I was up pretty late last night watching the weather channel for updates for Ivan (I'm flying down tommorrow). According to the experts, they think this one is going to head out to sea and not going to affect the US. let's just cross our fingers and hope that's right.

DisneySaint

joesauctionsale said:
can we leave hurricane boards off till they are 500.00 mile from floridia. im still cleaning up and repairing from last 2 enough, this stuff panics people.

Yea really. This is starting to get really annoying to those of us here for WDW News and Rumors.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom