Hurricane Irma Cams and Still Shots

epcotisbest

Here is a still shot from my driveway in the north Georgia mountains. Nothing like the real damage caused to folks in Florida, and I'll have this cleaned up tomorrow.

Storm9.jpg

epcotisbest

Wait, @epcotisbest .. I just realized that you'd said "I'll have this cleaned up.."
You're going to tackle this debris alone?
Yeah, I've got a chainsaw, leaf blower, shovels and rakes and implements of destruction. I can always call my younger brother for help if I need to. The wind has still been very strong tonight and we have heard more limbs popping and what sounded like a bigger tree coming down, so I don't know what it is gonna be like come sunrise.

21stamps

Original Poster
Yeah, I've got a chainsaw, leaf blower, shovels and rakes and implements of destruction. I can always call my younger brother for help if I need to. The wind has still been very strong tonight and we have heard more limbs popping and what sounded like a bigger tree coming down, so I don't know what it is gonna be like come sunrise.

I think you should call your brother for sure!! Even with all of your implements of destruction, that's too much for one person! I guess the good things is that you'll have a great stash of firewood afterwards ;)

I hope the wind calms down for you soon.

This makes my heart happy. I hope that many survived.

21stamps

Original Poster
Things got a whole lot worse, and it has taken 2.5 days and lots of help to clean up the roadways and driveways in our little neighborhood. Never could have done it by myself. Luckily we were without power only briefly. Lots of cleanup left to do, but still we face nothing like the folks in Florida. Pray for them.

I'm glad you're OK, and I'm especially glad that you had help to clean up!

My heart is breaking for people in Florida, especially the keys. My son wants to do a lemonade stand Saturday and Sunday to raise money and send his profits. We live on a cul-de-sac and our street doesn't get much traffic so I have emailed a few businesses to see if we could do it there. Still waiting to hear back.
I'm also trying to get permission for him to sell snack and drinks at the soccer games after his on Sunday. The field we are playing at does not have a concession stand open, so I'm really hoping they approve it. That's our best hope of getting the most profits. I've also contacted our school about organizing a bake sale. His goal is $500 (that's a lot to him). I don't think he'll reach it, but I'm glad that he's trying.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
My heart is breaking for people in Florida, especially the keys. My son wants to do a lemonade stand Saturday and Sunday to raise money and send his profits. We live on a cul-de-sac and our street doesn't get much traffic so I have emailed a few businesses to see if we could do it there. Still waiting to hear back.
I'm also trying to get permission for him to sell snack and drinks at the soccer games after his on Sunday. The field we are playing at does not have a concession stand open, so I'm really hoping they approve it. That's our best hope of getting the most profits. I've also contacted our school about organizing a bake sale. His goal is $500 (that's a lot to him). I don't think he'll reach it, but I'm glad that he's trying.

Your son is a very compassionate person to think of all these types of fund-raising possibilities. The only good news after these horrible hurricanes is about how many people (both young and old) have stepped up to help others.

21stamps

Original Poster
Your son is a very compassionate person to think of all these types of fund-raising possibilities. The only good news after these horrible hurricanes is about how many people (both young and old) have stepped up to help others.

I hope the following comment isn't breaking any rules (feel free to delete it if it is, mods)-

He said, quite passionately, "I don't like God when he does this! Why does he do it? Why would he make hurricanes and let them destroy things?"

I've never heard him say anything like that before. We talked about how people come together after a tragedy, and how goodness always overcomes devastation.
I've always kept him away from the "news", but with Charlie and Irma I've let him watch with me. I do think it shows how good humanity came be in times like this. Like you said, young, old... so many people want to help the victims.

21stamps

Original Poster
Wanted to put this article somewhere. This thread will do. Lodging up to almost 80% open now!!!

http://www.miami.com/miami-hotels-m...hurricane-irma-how-are-the-keys-doing-181277/

Overall, 77 percent of lodging units are back online throughout the Keys with almost all hotels in Key West open for business, except for Parrot Key (scheduled to reopen June 1), Key West Bayside Inn & Suites (closed indefinitely) and the Inn at Key West, which will reopen as the Havana Cabana Key West Hotel in April.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Wanted to put this article somewhere. This thread will do. Lodging up to almost 80% open now!!!

http://www.miami.com/miami-hotels-m...hurricane-irma-how-are-the-keys-doing-181277/

Overall, 77 percent of lodging units are back online throughout the Keys with almost all hotels in Key West open for business, except for Parrot Key (scheduled to reopen June 1), Key West Bayside Inn & Suites (closed indefinitely) and the Inn at Key West, which will reopen as the Havana Cabana Key West Hotel in April.

Thanks for sharing that article. Wonderful news to hear that business in the Keys is returning!! :happy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom