Hurricane Ian expected to impact Florida (updates and related discussions)

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Calm before the storm , usually is the case. If you choose to willingly ride out a hurricane on vacation at WDW, good luck to you. With airports closing up, one couldn’t fly out from nearby airports even if they wanted to.

Those resort buildings can withstand a strong hurricane. And I believe they have generators. Just stay indoors, keep the drapes closed and stay away from windows.

Should be okay. And DON'T go outside until Disney gives the all clear.

CntrlFlPete

First time experiencing a hurricane in the central Florida area (Celebration) - Does anyone know how the area holds up during a hurricane impact?

Lived in South Florida all my life, weathered several storms (Wilma, Irma, etc.) and I've always assumed that Orlando is safer.

similar shoes here. A little west of you (between exits 60 and 58). Been through hurricanes going back to when we put tape on the windows -- was in W. Boca for Willma (eye went over my house).

I feel like folks here have always felt inland enough not to worry (see no shutters or anything) -- fun going from a expecting a TS to a hurricane.

this keeps going from bad to worse!

good luck! stay smart!

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
We had this happen after the 7+ earthquake in Seattle years ago. We quickly realized then how few pay phones there were, and when you did find one it was long lines. Now I doubt there are pay phones anywhere. To be clear I think cell service was working, it’s just everything was so jammed no one could get through.

plutofan15

We had this happen after the 7+ earthquake in Seattle years ago. We quickly realized then how few pay phones there were, and when you did find one it was long lines. Now I doubt there are pay phones anywhere. To be clear I think cell service was working, it’s just everything was so jammed no one could get through.
That is also true. Cellular networks are designed to handle "normal" network traffic. During events like this, the network will congest.

JIMINYCR

If you do find any they will most likely look like this....

e23b2de6bf46a9a240a7a0b6c23f9125.jpeg

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
If your stuck at our hotels.. be sure to take advantage of our lunch boxes.. sandwich..chips..all for 40.00!
I remember that from last time, made me sick. Of course people need to eat with restaurants closed..and it was a great idea to provide this but the price, which I can’t remember how much was crazy. The 40.00 is a guess..but not to far off I’m betting.
Nice try. From our time during Irma:

573C49B3-0874-4E44-A58A-A112CBEC6792.jpeg

C83E6F0B-2FC0-426F-A0D3-634CEB69BCA2.jpeg

No fancy packaging, as they were hastily assembled. We bought three. The sandwiches were quite good.

JohnD

If the eye passes over the Orlando area, this is going to be like Hermine.

Based on updates from the local news stations, I don't expect WDW to reopen on Friday.
Well then. I'll be fine. I rode out Hermine from home not a strongly built Disney resort.

645D807F-DF8B-4B22-9FA9-FDA77F983579.png

Lilofan

Those resort buildings can withstand a strong hurricane. And I believe they have generators. Just stay indoors, keep the drapes closed and stay away from windows.

Should be okay. And DON'T go outside until Disney gives the all clear.
Hopefully all use good judgement. During Charley 2004 we all were instructed to go to Coronado convention center and all slept in the event space areas.

JohnD

What do you want me to do? Curl up in the fetal position and say "Whoa is me?" I'm here, I'm going to a park today. I expect to be secure in my resort for the next two days. That's a mature decision rather than fly into a panic and get on the road now.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
What do you want me to do? Curl up in the fetal position and say "Whoa is me?" I'm here, I'm going to a park today. I expect to be secure in my resort for the next two days. That's a mature decision rather than fly into a panic and get on the road now.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist... ;)

Polkadotdress

First time experiencing a hurricane in the central Florida area (Celebration) - Does anyone know how the area holds up during a hurricane impact?

Lived in South Florida all my life, weathered several storms (Wilma, Irma, etc.) and I've always assumed that Orlando is safer.
Celebrationite here! Our power lines are underground, so we have never had power challenges during a storm. The biggest risk we have is downed trees, as the trees are now aging, and tornados.

Be sure to join the Celebration Facebook pages for updates.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don’t care what you do now…

But you were downplaying people NOT from Florida for days and semi-mocking the concern.

There’s nothing unreasonable about that worry…doesn’t mean you have to go crazy. Appropriate levels of concern are welcome.

And the daily updates on park plans are tone deaf under the circumstances.

Do what you want…but “act like you’ve been there before”…
Because while many of us have (too many times in my case)…not everyone has.

It’s Holiday season in the UK…they’ve been on lockdown for the last two years. Don’t get many typhoons in Scotland.
Perspective.

Last edited:

Slpy3270

The tents at Universal are hurricane-proof. Floodproof, maybe not. I'm sure they have a team currently putting several layers of sandbag defense.

The parks are well suited to defend themselves against flooding and wind. Parks typically close for 2 or 3 days, and that's it.
Reminds me of when our local Six Flags park got submerged when Northeast Georgia got flooded and by the weekend it opened as normal like nothing happened.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Remember: Resorts whose room doors are in a hallway, have no way to regulate temperature if the power goes out if your windows don't open.

And with the power out, fridges stop working.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom