Hurricane Ian expected to impact Florida (updates and related discussions)

Touchdown

Original Poster
FBDFBE98-BB6D-4B0E-8B7E-E8B8CCB9B6FF.jpeg

Not forecasting as much of a pause now. That’s good news.

Gringrinngghost

Ian Local Watch/Warning Statement/Advisory Number 16
National Weather Service Melbourne FL AL092022
1121 PM EDT Mon Sep 26 2022

FLZ045-271130-
/O.NEW.KMLB.TR.W.1009.220927T0321Z-000000T0000Z/
/O.UPG.KMLB.TR.A.1009.000000T0000Z-000000T0000Z/
Orange-
1121 PM EDT Mon Sep 26 2022

...TROPICAL STORM WARNING IN EFFECT...

A Tropical Storm Warning means tropical storm-force winds are
expected somewhere within this area within the next 36 hours

* WIND
- LATEST LOCAL FORECAST: Equivalent Tropical Storm force wind
- Peak Wind Forecast: 30-40 mph with gusts to 55 mph

- THREAT TO LIFE AND PROPERTY THAT INCLUDES TYPICAL FORECAST
UNCERTAINTY IN TRACK, SIZE AND INTENSITY: Potential for wind 74
to 110 mph
- The wind threat has increased from the previous assessment.
- PLAN: Plan for life-threatening wind of equivalent CAT 1 or
2 hurricane force.
- PREPARE: Efforts to protect life and property should now be
rigorously underway. Prepare for considerable wind damage.
- ACT: Act now to complete preparations before the wind
becomes hazardous.

- POTENTIAL IMPACTS: Extensive
- Considerable roof damage to sturdy buildings, with some
having window, door, and garage door failures leading to
structural damage. Mobile homes severely damaged, with some
destroyed. Damage accentuated by airborne projectiles.
Locations may be uninhabitable for weeks.
- Many large trees snapped or uprooted along with fences and
roadway signs blown over.
- Some roads impassable from large debris, and more within
urban or heavily wooded places. Several bridges, causeways,
and access routes impassable.
- Large areas with power and communications outages.

* FLOODING RAIN
- LATEST LOCAL FORECAST: Flood Watch is in effect
- Peak Rainfall Amounts: Additional 4-8 inches, with locally
higher amounts

UNCERTAINTY IN TRACK, SIZE AND INTENSITY: Potential for major
flooding rain
- The flooding rain threat has remained nearly steady from
the previous assessment.
- PLAN: Emergency plans should include the potential for
major flooding from heavy rain. Evacuations and rescues are
likely.
- PREPARE: Strongly consider protective actions, especially
if you are in an area vulnerable to flooding.
- ACT: Heed any flood watches and warnings. Failure to take
action will likely result in serious injury or loss of life.

- POTENTIAL IMPACTS: Extensive
- Major rainfall flooding may prompt many evacuations and
rescues.
- Rivers and tributaries may rapidly overflow their banks in
multiple places. Small streams, creeks, canals, and ditches
may become dangerous rivers. In mountain areas, destructive
runoff may run quickly down valleys while increasing
susceptibility to rockslides and mudslides. Flood control
systems and barriers may become stressed.
- Flood waters can enter many structures within multiple
communities, some structures becoming uninhabitable or
washed away. Many places where flood waters may cover
escape routes. Streets and parking lots become rivers of
moving water with underpasses submerged. Driving conditions
become dangerous. Many road and bridge closures with some
weakened or washed out.

* TORNADO
- LATEST LOCAL FORECAST:
- Situation is somewhat favorable for tornadoes

UNCERTAINTY IN TRACK, SIZE AND INTENSITY: Potential for a few
tornadoes
- The tornado threat has remained nearly steady from the
previous assessment.
- PLAN: Emergency plans should include the potential for a
few tornadoes.
- PREPARE: If your shelter is particularly vulnerable to
tornadoes, prepare to relocate to safe shelter before
hazardous weather arrives.
- ACT: If a tornado warning is issued, be ready to shelter
quickly.

- POTENTIAL IMPACTS: Limited
- The occurrence of isolated tornadoes can hinder the
execution of emergency plans during tropical events.
- A few places may experience tornado damage, along with
power and communications disruptions.
- Locations could realize roofs peeled off buildings,
chimneys toppled, mobile homes pushed off foundations or
overturned, large tree tops and branches snapped off,
shallow-rooted trees knocked over, moving vehicles blown
off roads, and small boats pulled from moorings.

$$

MagicHappens1971

Starcruiser would be interesting in this weather. Without being able to see outside, with all the sounds coming from outside. But it might be the only place that could manage to keep some sort of normal operations "on ship." Obviously, without the trip to Baatu. If the cast and management are on it, they could even have some "ship is under attack" sub-plot. Huge bonus points if anyone actually developed a "hurricane" mode that could be turned on to change missions.
The Starcruiser does not operate during storm conditions. And will not be open until Saturday at the earliest

Hawg G

Does Disney ever resell Party tickets in this sort of situation? We have them for Thursday. I give that about a 1% chance of happening. 0% chance I want to be there. But I’d love to buy a ticket for Friday perhaps, and must assume plenty of folks won’t be there.

CJR

Does Disney ever resell Party tickets in this sort of situation? We have them for Thursday. I give that about a 1% chance of happening. 0% chance I want to be there. But I’d love to buy a ticket for Friday perhaps, and must assume plenty of folks won’t be there.

That's a great question, actually. I'd imagine there will be people who bought tickets to Friday's party that will not be able to make it. Hopefully they'll provide some clarity on that later today.

MrPromey

Starcruiser would be interesting in this weather. Without being able to see outside, with all the sounds coming from outside. But it might be the only place that could manage to keep some sort of normal operations "on ship." Obviously, without the trip to Baatu. If the cast and management are on it, they could even have some "ship is under attack" sub-plot. Huge bonus points if anyone actually developed a "hurricane" mode that could be turned on to change missions.

Clearly, you've never been through a serious hurricane.

People here are worried about their homes and the lives of their loved ones.

Themed immersion is going to be the last thing on the minds of anyone having to work through this storm.

hopemax

Clearly you haven’t read that my Dad lives in Central Florida. A family member lives south of Clearwater so you can be sure I know what is at stake.

My comments were more of a thought experiment than anything. I wasn’t sure if the building would be empty and so if guests are there, would it be possible to provide a partial experience.

It is possible to have more than one thought at once. Or are you going to call out the jokes about dismantling the Castle as inappropriate as well.

MrPromey

Clearly you haven’t read that my Dad lives in Central Florida. A family member lives south of Clearwater so you can be sure I know what is at stake.

My comments were more of a thought experiment than anything. I wasn’t sure if the building would be empty and so if guests are there, would it be possible to provide a partial experience.

It is possible to have more than one thought at once. Or are you going to call out the jokes about dismantling the Castle as inappropriate as well.

I didn't see those jokes so no.

As someone with a child in a mandatory evacuation zone leaving their home for what might be the last time tomorrow, I'm sorry if I've offended you or somehow come across as insensitive by pointing out the ludicrous nature of what you were suggesting in your "thought experiment".

How dare I.

Anyway, Disney's concern in the middle of a hurricane is in preserving the lives of their guest and cast that end up having to be there - not preserving the "magic" I know that isn't a fun thought experiment.

Sorry.

Also, I hope the best for your family member in Clearwater.

Last edited:

hopemax

I didn't see those jokes so no.

As someone with a child in a mandatory evacuation zone leaving their home for what might be the last time tomorrow, I'm sorry if I've offended you by pointing out the ludicrous nature of what you were suggesting in your "thought experiment".

How dare I.

Anyway, Disney's concern in the middle of a hurricane is in preserving the lives of their guest and cast that end up having to be there - not preserving the "magic" I know that isn't fun to think about but sorry.

Also, I hope the best for your family member in Clearwater.
If the ludicrousness is so obvious, then why would you assume I was being serious serious?

And the same best wishes about your family.

MrPromey

If the ludicrousness is so obvious, then why would you assume I was being serious serious?

I didn't assume you were.

Not sure how that makes it better.

Also, not trying to attack you or anything but people here are going to die this week. Homes are going to be lost.

The head meteorologist for NOAA is predicting this will be the largest natural disaster to ever hit Florida.

Tensions are high here in a way that may be difficult to appreciate if you're not around to experience it.

Last edited:

Florida Man

I didn't assume you were.

Not sure how that makes it better.

Also, not trying to attack you or anything but people here are going to die this week. Homes are going to be lost.

The head meteorologist for NOAA is predicting this will be the largest natural disaster to ever hit Florida.

Tensions are high here in a way that may be difficult to appreciate if you're not around to experience it.
Largest? My opinion is that it won’t. I think Andrew will hold that title for our lifetimes, and obviously whatever happened during the millions of years before us.

I live 5 min from Disney and I’m not too concerned. I’ve got a lab report due on Thursday, so I just hope I have power and internet to submit it.

MrPromey

Largest? My opinion is that it won’t. I think Andrew will hold that title for our lifetimes, and obviously whatever happened during the millions of years before us.

I live 5 min from Disney and I’m not too concerned. I’ve got a lab report due on Thursday, so I just hope I have power and internet to submit it.

I hope you're right.

That's just what someone who watches this stuff for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration had to say about it.

Considering that Pinellas county is the most densely populated in the state (around 3 million people), a peninsula on the outer side of Tampa Bay, and that the storm is predicted to linger right there causing storm surges and localized flooding like the region has never experienced in anyone's lifetime, it seems like there is potential.

But fingers crossed it does something different and nobody is majorly impacted.

It's always the hope that the doom-and-gloom will be overblown.

They're saying most people inland won't have much to worry about either way, though, since the wind isn't expected to be what directly causes most of the damage with this one.

Last edited:

esskay

WDW closed back in October 2005 due to Hurricane Wilma, it was for about 1/2 a day but that’s a lot when your on vacation.
Disney often closes for hurricanes, it's become fairly normal for them tbh.

I've been on-site for a few over the years and as far as guests are concerned its a bit of a non-event. The parks normally close early the night before it hits so they can get everything tied down, if it didn't hit the area overnight the parks open as normal, if it did they stay closed for the day for cleanup work. A day later you'd see very little evidence on property of anything ever happening.

When the Disney hotels close its purely to stop a mass influx of people trying to get rooms. If you're in a bungalow or a particularly vulnerable area (not that there are many) then you get moved to the main buildings. If you're stuck in the resort for a day or more then the restaurants typically do discount offerings and events are put on throughout the day to keep the kids entertained.

Frances and Katrina were interesting ones to be there for because in both cases they were expecting major disruption but it never really happened. I think the parks still closed for 2 days, same with Irma (which did cause a fair bit of damage so that one made sense to keep things closed longer).

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom