Hurricane Ian expected to impact Florida (updates and related discussions)

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
1664291304862.png

Lilofan

I was at Disney when Charley came right through. Pretty crazy. Next day my cousin,who lives nearby came to stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge at a great rate. His job, wife’s job, their home and both kids schools had no power but Disney was essentially up and running the next morning around noon, so he figured he might as well be with us for a couple of days. WDW property seemed to be able to handle storms very well, much much better than surrounding communities.
I’ve heard of cast members on hurricane crew stay in the park to clean up post storm. That surely helps and the landscaping crew will have their hands full cleaning up that debris.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
In 18 hours, its gone from a Category 1 landfall near Tampa to a Category 3 landfall near Sarasota, going up the I-4 Corridor.
They’ve said from the start though the further north it makes landfall the weaker we can expect it to be. The further south, the more of a monster.

We have family hunkering down in Sarasota and Charlotte harbor. Hoping Ian loses a little strength.

DisneyCane

In 18 hours, its gone from a Category 1 landfall near Tampa to a Category 3 landfall near Sarasota, going up the I-4 Corridor.

"It" hasn't done anything except continue to creep towards Florida. The forecast is what has changed. That's why they've tried to change the focus to looking at the "cone" instead of the track forecast. Where it looks to be headed was in the cone for days.

If you are in the cone, start your preparation. It's easier to undo the preparation if your area moves out of the cone than to try and prepare at the last second.

IanDLBZF

Hurricane Watch now in effect.
...HURRICANE WATCH IN EFFECT...
...TROPICAL STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT...

A Hurricane Watch means hurricane-force winds are possible somewhere
within this area within the next 48 hours

* WIND
- LATEST LOCAL FORECAST: Equivalent Strong Tropical Storm force
wind
- Peak Wind Forecast: 55-65 mph with gusts to 80 mph
- Window for Tropical Storm force winds: Wednesday afternoon
until Friday afternoon

- THREAT TO LIFE AND PROPERTY THAT INCLUDES TYPICAL FORECAST
UNCERTAINTY IN TRACK, SIZE AND INTENSITY: Potential for wind 74
to 110 mph
- The wind threat has increased from the previous assessment.
- PLAN: Plan for life-threatening wind of equivalent CAT 1 or
2 hurricane force.
- PREPARE: Remaining efforts to protect life and property
should be urgently completed. Prepare for considerable wind
damage.
- ACT: Move to safe shelter before the wind becomes hazardous.

- POTENTIAL IMPACTS: Extensive
- Considerable roof damage to sturdy buildings, with some
having window, door, and garage door failures leading to
structural damage. Mobile homes severely damaged, with some
destroyed. Damage accentuated by airborne projectiles.
Locations may be uninhabitable for weeks.
- Many large trees snapped or uprooted along with fences and
roadway signs blown over.
- Some roads impassable from large debris, and more within
urban or heavily wooded places. Several bridges, causeways,
and access routes impassable.
- Large areas with power and communications outages.

* FLOODING RAIN
- LATEST LOCAL FORECAST: Flood Watch is in effect
- Peak Rainfall Amounts: Additional 6-10 inches, with locally
higher amounts

UNCERTAINTY IN TRACK, SIZE AND INTENSITY: Potential for major
flooding rain
- The flooding rain threat has remained nearly steady from
the previous assessment.
- PLAN: Emergency plans should include the potential for
major flooding from heavy rain. Evacuations and rescues are
likely.
- PREPARE: Strongly consider protective actions, especially
if you are in an area vulnerable to flooding.
- ACT: Heed any flood watches and warnings. Failure to take
action will likely result in serious injury or loss of life.

- POTENTIAL IMPACTS: Extensive
- Major rainfall flooding may prompt many evacuations and
rescues.
- Rivers and tributaries may rapidly overflow their banks in
multiple places. Small streams, creeks, canals, and ditches
may become dangerous rivers. In mountain areas, destructive
runoff may run quickly down valleys while increasing
susceptibility to rockslides and mudslides. Flood control
systems and barriers may become stressed.
- Flood waters can enter many structures within multiple
communities, some structures becoming uninhabitable or
washed away. Many places where flood waters may cover
escape routes. Streets and parking lots become rivers of
moving water with underpasses submerged. Driving conditions
become dangerous. Many road and bridge closures with some
weakened or washed out.

* TORNADO
- LATEST LOCAL FORECAST:
- Situation is favorable for tornadoes

UNCERTAINTY IN TRACK, SIZE AND INTENSITY: Potential for several
tornadoes
- The tornado threat has increased from the previous
assessment.
- PLAN: Emergency plans should include the potential for
several tornadoes with a few possibly intense having larger
damage paths.
- PREPARE: Those living in manufactured homes or on boats are
urged to relocate to safe shelter before hazardous weather
arrives.
- ACT: Listen for tornado watches and warnings. If a tornado
warning is issued, be ready to shelter quickly.

- POTENTIAL IMPACTS: Significant
- The occurrence of scattered tornadoes can hinder the
execution of emergency plans during tropical events.
- Several places may experience tornado damage with a few
spots of considerable damage, power loss, and
communications failures.
- Locations could realize roofs torn off frame houses, mobile
homes demolished, boxcars overturned, large trees snapped
or uprooted, vehicles tumbled, and small boats tossed
about. Dangerous projectiles can add to the toll.

Touchdown

Original Poster
So the good news is it’s speeding up so less rain, the bad news is it will be a stronger hurricane and maintain the winds further inland. The discussion talks about further shifts so stay on your toes and stay safe everyone down there.

hopemax

…ehhh…I’m usually first for laugh or pile on. But TWDC has always shown incredible compassion and support in these types of situation. They eat the “loss” without qualm.

If there were any reports that changes…I would discontinue all patronage. That’s “over the bridge”
I’ve been rereading some of the original Charley threads on the DIS because I’ve been around long enough to remember them happening and wanted to check my recollections.

Reports from people at the All-Stars of characters in the Food Court during the storm and lobbies at other hotels, the cultural ambassadors at AKL running their programs, flashlights delivered to all the rooms, buffets in the convention centers for people to fill to-go containers to take back to their rooms, tickets extended even though they were non-expiration tickets to begin with. MK reopened the next morning as scheduled. Epcot and MGM later in the day. Found a report about Frances, where the park entertainment staff were working at the hotels, including Miyuki the Japanese candy lady.

I’m not sure how much of that would be expected now. Instead the expectation is more: stay in your room, be happy with your snack box and leave the CMs who have to be there alone. The pre-storm updates from Charley asked locals and offsite to stay away from the parks, while nowadays it feels like they want to retain those customers up until the moment of shutdown. The lack of cancellation announcements regarding the parties both Wed’s HHH and Thur’s MNSSHP are particularly irksome to me. It should be obvious they aren’t happening, so give people the piece of mind of having confirmation. So while there hasn’t been a collapse in preparedness, the expectations of how much “above and beyond” seem like they’ve been altered. The ceiling has changed, even if the floor hasn’t. Sometimes it’s because other operational cutbacks limit options in emergencies. Can’t send Entertainment you already eliminated to the resorts. Plus, all the reservations, date specific tickets, non-expiration… it feels like it invites hesitancy, while as you say, in years past they had fewer qualms about eating the costs.

G00fyDad

For those looking at the NOAA data the various letters on the NOAA tracking maps mean:

L: Low pressure system - associated with rising air, which causes clouds and rain

D: Tropical Depression - wind speed less than 39 mph

S: Tropical Storm - wind speed between 39 mph and 73 mph

H: Hurricane - wind speed between 74 mph and 110 mph

M: Major Hurricane - wind speed greater than 110 mph

I'll be honest, since I live near the border of Indiana and Kentucky I rarely see this and have never bothered to find this out.
1664292500450.png

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’ve been rereading some of the original Charley threads on the DIS because I’ve been around long enough to remember them happening and wanted to check my recollections.

Reports from people at the All-Stars of characters in the Food Court during the storm and lobbies at other hotels, the cultural ambassadors at AKL running their programs, flashlights delivered to all the rooms, buffets in the convention centers for people to fill to-go containers to take back to their rooms, tickets extended even though they were non-expiration tickets to begin with. MK reopened the next morning as scheduled. Epcot and MGM later in the day. Found a report about Frances, where the park entertainment staff were working at the hotels, including Miyuki the Japanese candy lady.

I’m not sure how much of that would be expected now. Instead the expectation is more: stay in your room, be happy with your snack box and leave the CMs who have to be there alone. The pre-storm updates from Charley asked locals and offsite to stay away from the parks, while nowadays it feels like they want to retain those customers up until the moment of shutdown. The lack of cancellation announcements regarding the parties both Wed’s HHH and Thur’s MNSSHP are particularly irksome to me. It should be obvious they aren’t happening, so give people the piece of mind of having confirmation. So while there hasn’t been a collapse in preparedness, the expectations of how much “above and beyond” seem like they’ve been altered. The ceiling has changed, even if the floor hasn’t. Sometimes it’s because other operational cutbacks limit options in emergencies. Can’t send Entertainment you already eliminated to the resorts. Plus, all the reservations, date specific tickets, non-expiration… it feels like it invites hesitancy, while as you say, in years past they had fewer qualms about eating the costs.
I agree about the STEs

Just cancel them and pay up now…no way either are happening.

That’s accountant/revenue nonsense

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom