Hurricane Ian expected to impact Florida (updates and related discussions)

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
We now know that Matthew never came ashore. We did not know that in the days leading up to its approach.

Correct. This storm has many similarities to Charley.

That's not exactly correct. It was reported during the storm that the eye never made landfall.

Touchdown

Original Poster
If Ian stalls right by Tampa the storm surge is going to be crazy. 10ft plus another 10 inches of rain. That’s the height of 2 average men. Think about that.

peter11435

That's not exactly correct. It was reported during the storm that the eye never made landfall.
Yes, we obviously knew during the storm where the storm was. My point was that two days out we did not know that the eye would not make landfall.

Matthew like Ian was a very powerful and dangerous storm. Two days out from possible landfall Matthew was a significant threat.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Can anyone confirm current Skyliner operating status? Test Track is back open, so appears to be a localized storm for the closure earlier this evening.

Can't confirm about the Skyliner operating status, but we had a nice storm come through about 5:30 - 6 PM. I'm in Winter Garden...the Disney Winter Garden known as Horizons West. About 10 minutes from the gate on Western Way.

SpectroMan93

Matthew never came ashore.

Longtime Orlando residents are talking about Ian like they did about Charley in 2004. Ian is taking a similar path.
Grew up in Sanford when Charley hit. First and only time I've ever been in the eye of a hurricane. In fact it was Charley that lead me on the path to become a meteorologist. Ian is very much giving me Charley vibes. The storm has been consistently to the right of the forecast path and the models have been adjusting accordingly. I would expect the NHC to make further adjustments east on the next advisory. Everyone in Central Florida should be preparing for hurricane conditions.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Grew up in Sanford when Charley hit. First and only time I've ever been in the eye of a hurricane. In fact it was Charley that lead me on the path to become a meteorologist. Ian is very much giving me Charley vibes. The storm has been consistently to the right of the forecast path and the models have been adjusting accordingly. I would expect the NHC to make further adjustments east on the next advisory. Everyone in Central Florida should be preparing for hurricane conditions.

Hence my comment that I'm preparing like I did for Hermine in 2016 and Michael in 2018. Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

Touchdown

Original Poster
Latest track supports your worry, Ian is again more East then expected.

6D64D6D4-01EE-4E59-9954-CFF3916B524D.jpeg

MrPromey

Can anyone confirm current Skyliner operating status? Test Track is back open, so appears to be a localized storm for the closure earlier this evening.

The Orlando area is still more than a full day away from starting to feel anything from this storm.

I sit between where the storm is and where it is projected to go as it passes that part of Florida (on the coast) and there is no rain or wind here at all so what is over Disney is just a typical localized thunderstorm right now.

Last edited:

SpectroMan93

Latest track supports your worry, Ian is again more East then expected.

View attachment 669401
Hurricane hunters recently placed the eye of the storm about 40 miles east of the previous forecast track. The NHC doesn't update the forecast track at intermediate advisories like the 8PM one above, but they will for the 11PM tonight. I don't envy the NHC's job. A shift to the right would put Tampa and Central Florida in a much more precarious situation than the current cone. But given current trends and new model data, they may have no other choice.

LAKid53

Premium Member
The Orlando area is still more than a full day away from starting to feel anything serious from this storm.

I sit between where the storm is and where it is projected to go (on the coast) and there is no rain or wind here at all so what is over Disney is just a typical localized thunderstorm right now.

Like we've been having for the past few weeks. "Is that thunder or the 9 PM fireworks?".

EricsBiscuit

Hurricane hunters recently placed the eye of the storm about 40 miles east of the previous forecast track. The NHC doesn't update the forecast track at intermediate advisories like the 8PM one above, but they will for the 11PM tonight. I don't envy the NHC's job. A shift to the right would put Tampa and Central Florida in a much more precarious situation than the current cone. But given current trends and new model data, they may have no other choice.
If it goes far enough east then hopefully it won’t push as much water into the bay. The biggest worry for me is the storm surge.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom