Hunchback of Notre Dame

Malificent

Original Poster
Hey, I just bought the HoND DVD.......FINALLLLYYYY!
I have been waiting for it on DVD for years. Although it has some good features, I was really disappointed.

In my mind, the HoND is one of the greatest animated films. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that Disney needed to give us a 2 disc collector's edition full of rare artwork and behind the scenes material.

".....Verywell.....I best be on my way...."

Firebird

I think this could be possibly the best animated movie ever, I see the way to make this is to redo the ending with the books deaths of Quasi and Esmerelda, then release it in IMAX and then 2-disc DVD. I believe theyhave already changed the ending for the Berlin stage version.

I know many people hate editing released movies but this has so much potential.

MrPromey

Originally posted by Malificent
Hey, I just bought the HoND DVD.......FINALLLLYYYY!
I have been waiting for it on DVD for years. Although it has some good features, I was really disappointed.

In my mind, the HoND is one of the greatest animated films. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that Disney needed to give us a 2 disc collector's edition full of rare artwork and behind the scenes material.

".....Verywell.....I best be on my way...."

I may be totally wrong but I don't think this movie was all that big of a hit domestically. I admit I haven't seen it yet (I'll watch it when I buy it :rolleyes:) but I've always liked the stage show at MGM for it... If you give them enough time, they will probably release it in a collectors format. It may be a few years but I'll bet it will happen. ;)

Tink

Re: Re: Hunchback of Notre Dame

Originally posted by MrPromey

I may be totally wrong but I don't think this movie was all that big of a hit domestically. I admit I haven't seen it yet (I'll watch it when I buy it :rolleyes:)) but I've always liked the stage show at MGM for it... If you give them enough time, they will probably release it in a collectors format. It may be a few years but I'll bet it will happen. ;)

You've never seen since movie? :veryconfu I am surprised at you! :) It really is, artistically and musically anyway, one of the best Disney films, IMO.

Firebird, I just home from Berlin and had an opportunity to check out "Der Gloecker von Notre Dame" while I was there. The ending is different from the movie. I don't want to give away the ending. :)

MrPromey

Re: Re: Re: Hunchback of Notre Dame

Originally posted by Tink

You've never seen since movie? :veryconfu I am surprised at you! :) It really is, artistically and musically anyway, one of the best Disney films, IMO.

Firebird, I just home from Berlin and had an opportunity to check out "Der Gloecker von Notre Dame" while I was there. The ending is different from the movie. I don't want to give away the ending. :)

What's funny is that I got the original VHS on loan like two days ago just when I was ready to buy the DVD... I guess I'll go ahead and watch it and then go out and buy the DVD since someone was kind enough to go to a fair amount of trouble to get it to me. :sigh: Sometimes it's so hard being loved, you know? ;)

Tarzan266

This movie is in my top five fav. Disney flicks (post Walt's death). It is such a beautiful film with a great story and a great leading character and villian. It is very underrated. Though it is a little darker compared to other Disney films, I think it has a great message for all to follow. And besides, in the end, they all live happily ever after. :)

MrPromey

Re: Re: Re: Hunchback of Notre Dame

Originally posted by Tink

Ok, I watched it last night :) I thought it was very good and what was funny, was how good of a job they actually do with the stage show at MGM... Having seen it many times and then now seeing the live show, I realized that all of the lines for the stage production were lifted directly from the movie as were things like the puppet concept... I particularly liked the creative use of viewing angles where they show shots as reflections in puddles and have interesting wide shots that you usually only see in live action... The only thing that struck as possibly bad about it was the extremely mature nature of it all. I mean, obviously the original story was much, much worse but I couldn't believe how many people were going to hell and that oh, what's his name was having less than subtle $exual fantasies about Esmerelda (Something they left out of the stage version ;) ) and how most of the colors were either dark or bright reds because they were either in dimly lit areas or something was on fire... Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that I've finally seen it and I'm going to buy it this week, I was just surprised by parts of it and I sort of wonder how well it was received by young children. :)

Malificent

Original Poster
I think that HoND is one of the "darkest" disney movies--and because of that reason, it is probabaly the most realistic. I especially love the "reallness" of the characters and their designs.
Love it, Love it, Love it!!!:sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom