How's the Viewing Area for Illuminations FP+?

Baltar

$4 billion for EPCOT
Original Poster
On our next trip we're just bringing our youngest two kids so one of the 3 days we'll be at EPCOT I figured we'll let the kiddos seem Illuminations for the first time. We don't really have an abundance of need for FP+ at EPCOT for the kids. We'll ride Soarin at 9am. They don't like Test Track so I either don't use the FP+ in Tier 1 or I try Illuminations.

What do you guys think of the viewing area? Worth it? Or should I just grab a spot where I find one like I normally do?

Rob562

Personally, I wouldn't use a FP+ for IllumiNations. It's nice that the viewing area is fairly close to being front-and-center, but there are plenty of other great viewing areas around the lagoon.

A couple other things to consider:

-By making one of your initial 3 FP+ for IllumiNations, it eliminates the possibility of making any additional FP+ that day other than your initial 3.

-Wind direction plays a large role in the enjoyment of Illuminations. If you're downwind of the center of the lagoon, you'll get smoke in your face during the show. Since the FP+ area is a set location, if the wind is coming at that area that particular night, you're out of luck. I much prefer to see which way the wind is blowing that evening and choose one of my three favorite viewing locations based on the wind direction to avoid the smoke.

-Rob

boufa

I agree with wasting a FP on Illuminations is a mistake, but I just don't see the reason not to in a lot of cases. Depending on the time of year, there is very little need for FP in Epcot, except for TT and Soarin. Living with the land is a total waste, remove it form the conversation. So you are left with TT and Soarin. In Febry when we are going, rumor is that Soarin will be closed for rehab. Going to Epcot for 2 days, we might get TT for both (normally we would do Soarin one day and TT the other), but more than likely we will do TT on one day and Illuminations for the other.

FYI... hidden tip you don't hear much about... if it starts to rain, or even if you are leaving Epcot early for some reason and there is a reasonable chance of rain... Stop at a kiosk and get a TT fast pass for the last hour of the day, they are easy to get often. IF they close TT in the last hour, then you will get an extra fastpass for any attraction at any time the next day in any park. We had terrible weather our last time in Epcot, 2 days of rain. We ended up not doing much in Epcot, but both days got us extra fastpasses that we were able to use to ride SDMT the next day. (This would work in any park, but try to not be disrespectful of those who want the fastpasses and would use them... we were in all day type rain, and there was absolutely no chance that test track would re-open that day, so we did NOT keep anyone from getting the fastpasses, and blocked them out of their legit chance to ride)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom