How Would You Retheme Splash Mountain?

CraftyFox

Original Poster
Ok so recently, Splash Mountain at DL underwent a major refurbishment. Literally less than a week later most of the animatronics were malfunctioning again. If this continues for the next few years, I could see Disney wanting to replace the animatronics or (less favorably) retirement the entire attraction. So, if Splash Mountain where to be re-themed, how would you want it to be changed and what would you want to be changed to?

Suchomimus

Ok so recently, Splash Mountain at DL underwent a major refurbishment. Literally less than a week later most of the animatronics were malfunctioning again. If this continues for the next few years, I could see Disney wanting to replace the animatronics or (less favorably) retirement the entire attraction. So, if Splash Mountain where to be re-themed, how would you want it to be changed and what would you want to be changed to?
There was an idea on Theme Park University that SM could be rethemed to The Princess and the Frog because of its controversial origin that is Song of the South.

Suchomimus

I was going to suggest Pocahontas, but this is a good idea, and it could play pretty well with the current layout.
There’s actually two versions of a Pocahontas SM. One is from here at 15:29
Next will be an area themed to Jamestown. Yes a large mountain rage themed to the one in Disney's Pocahontas will host an amazing dark boat ride similar to Splash Mountain. This attraction will be known as Pocahontas' Colors of the Wind. The details will already be found in the interactive queue, where you can play with Pocahontas and her friends. After that they will board canoes similar to the ones Pocahontas is seen paddling in during Just Around the Riverbend. The vehicles will seat 4 rows of two. They will then proceed through the story of Pocahontas. The ride will feature detailed show scenes, advanced audio animatronics and innovative special effects. There will be two drops, of which one will be backwards. Follow captain John Smith to the New World and meet princess Pocahontas. Watch the conflict between the English explorers and the natives while a forbidden love starts to flourish between the captain and princess.

stitchcastle

It would be an interesting challenge re-themeing something as iconic and beloved as Splash Mountain. I think the ride itself feels detached enough from the movie that the controversy doesn't really directly affect it. It's essentially a ride based on a folk tale, just like a lot of the fantasyland rides. Also the Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah theme song has far transcended the movie and is now emblematic of the Disney brand itself.

Now, if you want to bring it to a park that doesn't have a Splash Mountain already, I think there would be some wiggle room where you could re-theme it. The trend right now seems to be using a popular, newer IP.

A simple one would be to re-theme into Winnie the Pooh which is still a beloved franchise. The downside is that the setting lends itself to shedding all the popular iconography of Splash Mountain's Southern American origins.

The Princess and the Frog, as mentioned above, would work perfectly, even though the songs probably won't be as iconic as Splash.

If it were up to me and there were no limitations, I'd re-theme it to Pete's Dragon. (There's even a logging plot-line in the remake) The amount of special effects and cute scenes would totally work well with the ride. Though it's a real long shot considering the property's obscurity. It'd be better off just porting over the more iconic Brer Rabbit story (which comes with an iconic song that's now akin to Small World).

2351metalcloud

For using an IP, how about a new story with the characters of Rango or a retelling of the movie story of Rango? It's not by Disney, but it seems to go in line with the 1955 dedication statement for Fronteirland except maybe it doesn't seem like it takes place long ago, but rather maybe recently or a couple decades ago if that contrasts with the statement.

stitchcastle

For using an IP, how about a new story with the characters of Rango or a retelling of the movie story of Rango? It's not by Disney, but it seems to go in line with the 1955 dedication statement for Fronteirland except maybe it doesn't seem like it takes place long ago, but rather maybe recently or a couple decades ago if that contrasts with the statement.

I LOVE Rango. This would be a really cool re-theme. I guess the only weird thing would be because Rango is set in modern times.

Bookiebake

I would love to see Splash Mountain re-themed just because the characters are outdated and not something that today’s visitors necessarily have a strong connection with. I love the ride itself though and I wouldn’t change anything about the actual ride. (That big drop is killer!)

They should change the theme to Frozen though. The new movie set it up perfectly! They could have “ice boats” instead of logs. Imagine hearing the “dive down deep in to her sound... but not too deep or you’ll drown” lyric just before you plummet. They could re-theme Winnie the Pooh to be like.. Olaf and Svenn’s magical adventure or something and just make critter country basically Frozen themed. It’s kind of fitting since people often ride splash mountain to cool off on a hot day. So that part of the park could also serve tons of frozen treats too. Making it a cool-off destination. Plus you could have a water feature (a splash and play fountain) based on the water spirit with the cool water horse at the center of it. Kids could “play” with the water spirit. The other element spirits like fire and wind (gayle) could come out to “play” as well. Off the top of my head you could have lanterns that go on and off reacting to guests. Gust of cold “wind” that guests can set off by say stepping in a certain stone. Stone “Statues” that move unexpectedly. Or you know better interactive features than that buy based on the four elements

awoogala

princess and the frog. tiana is amazing, and deserves a ride. again, 10 years too late..but, it's Disney, sooo..

goofyyukyuk

I would love to see Splash Mountain re-themed just because the characters are outdated and not something that today’s visitors necessarily have a strong connection with. I love the ride itself though and I wouldn’t change anything about the actual ride. (That big drop is killer!)

They should change the theme to Frozen though. The new movie set it up perfectly! They could have “ice boats” instead of logs. Imagine hearing the “dive down deep in to her sound... but not too deep or you’ll drown” lyric just before you plummet. They could re-theme Winnie the Pooh to be like.. Olaf and Svenn’s magical adventure or something and just make critter country basically Frozen themed. It’s kind of fitting since people often ride splash mountain to cool off on a hot day. So that part of the park could also serve tons of frozen treats too. Making it a cool-off destination. Plus you could have a water feature (a splash and play fountain) based on the water spirit with the cool water horse at the center of it. Kids could “play” with the water spirit. The other element spirits like fire and wind (gayle) could come out to “play” as well. Off the top of my head you could have lanterns that go on and off reacting to guests. Gust of cold “wind” that guests can set off by say stepping in a certain stone. Stone “Statues” that move unexpectedly. Or you know better interactive features than that buy based on the four elements
No. Just no. I like the ideas as far as effects and even storyline, but I’m not a fan of an older IP (even a controversial one) being replaced by a new princess movie considering there’s already tons of stuff centered on Frozen in Disney Parks. This is what led to the old Epcot being replaced by more IP centric stuff. There’s a place for new IPs, but I don’t think it should come at the expense of the current themes of beloved attractions like Splash Mountain. If they were going to make a Frozen themed land in Disneyland, I imagine they’d find room for it before replacing Splash and Winnie the Pooh, which are both fairly popular rides.

Brer Oswald

This is the best form of satire I’ve seen. The choice of IP, the name, the text wall. I needed a good laugh.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom