How would YOU have made a Star Wars land?

po1998

Based on what has been built, I would have spent some of the massive budget on...

- a 3rd ride/attraction

- a large sit down restaurant

- larger cantina

- street entertainment

- M&G within the land instead of the utterly ridiculous Launch Bay

- Canon blah blah blah. I would have mixed OT with ST...who cares. Give people recognizable places and characters.

I'm sick of TDO ing away billions of dollars on the lands(I'm looking at you Pandora and GE) "immersion". Looking at how pretty the land looks only goes so far before guests realize they wish there was more to do.

They better hope RotR is a home run....and one that is reliable and not prone to breaking down right from the get go.

TrainsOfDisney

I'm sick of TDO ****ing away billions of dollars on the lands(I'm looking at you Pandora and GE) "immersion". Looking at how pretty the land looks only goes so far before guests realize they wish there was more to do.

Exactly. Walking through the original fantasyland at WDW you had small world, Peter Pan, Snow White, toad, a carousel, the skyway, dumbo, tea cups, and the submarines! 3 spinners, 2 dark rides, a major boat ride (small world), an e-ticket, and a transportation ride. That’s how to build a theme park land! Plus that area originally had the sword and the stone show, plus strolling musicians.

There was nothing “immersive” about walking out of Peter Pan and seeing small world across the sidewalk... who cares!? They are fun rides!

phillip9698

I keep seeing comparisons to Harry Potter and it's locales but Star Wars really doesn't have that many places with notable buildings. If they built a Hoth area exactly what interesting piece of architecture would you expect? It's nothing shown there but snow and the inside of a rebel base which just looks like a dirty space port. There isn't a Hogwarts on Hoth. Dagobah is just a swamp and Endor is a forest with a nondescript bunker. You really only have the cantina on tatoonie as a place people would actually want to visit, well a place that can exist outside. Everything else is the inside of a spaceship or complex (Cloud City).

hauntology

Wish there was a way thematically to transition the land in halves where one is OT/ Prequels and the other half is the new guard like Harry Potter does. Having Star Tours exist in an entire sector of the park away from Galaxys edge is already awkward—I would have moved it like they had moved Toy Story Mania. Also darth Vader and yoda are alive in Star Tours...

In regards to more rides—I wouldn’t mind simpler rides as well. I know one of the scrapped ideas was a ride where you were able to ride multiple kinds of the creatures from the movies flying above Batuu and I love the energy the monorail or the peoplemover bring so that sounds great.

Is an animatronic show too hard to ask for nowadays? I would love a combination animatronic show/Jedi training academy.

erasure fan1

I don't mind them doing black spire. But what I would change is I would have found a way to integrate star tours as transportation to Batuu. I would have put a force cave where you could meet vader, yoda, luke, maul... I would definitely have added an outdoor ride. Either a coaster based on a speeder chase and or a people mover to tour black spire. I would replace Hondo with Lando. And I for sure would have had a sit down restaurant.

bclane

I don't mind them doing black spire. But what I would change is I would have found a way to integrate star tours as transportation to Batuu. I would have put a force cave where you could meet vader, yoda, luke, maul... I would definitely have added an outdoor ride. Either a coaster based on a speeder chase and or a people mover to tour black spire. I would replace Hondo with Lando. And I for sure would have had a sit down restaurant.
Sounds good. The Force cave idea sounds especially great to me. Could even be a D ticket dark ride and I think it could be a huge hit.

winstongator

Ok now that we've seen the partial opening on both coasts and the various arguments for and against...let's hear it. What would you do?

I think Star Tours set an interesting precedent, the way the parts of the ride covered different eras in the Star Wars films somehow. I believe that is an "out" that could have been done. Split the land into 3 distinct areas/timeframes and give the fans of each generation something they can directly relate to.

That is the biggest criticism I think of the new land, how it has hardly any reference to the original trilogy and is entirely focused on the new characters.

People would probably be more invested in the rebellion vs. the empire than they are with the resistance vs. the first order. It's a small difference but a significant one. The characters of the Empire were so much more compelling than the first order.

I don't know exactly what "planets" you would visit or how you would transition between them, but hey, Pandora is another planet and there's no real transition to get there right?
I think the goal, and the one that really excited me, was the most important character in the land was supposed to be you. Having been to DL, it doesn't really hit that. You get a little of it - Stormtroopers walking someone for being 'chatty' at Oga's, asking them questions. I realized that it's harder to transport you to a completely fictitious galaxy wracked by war than it is to take schoolchildren and put them in other schoolchildren's shoes in an Earth based location. The hotel will likely be a lot more what I was expecting for the land. Which one was codenamed Delos?

winstongator

Heartily disagree that it should have been a familiar locale from the movies like Hoth or Tattoine. I applaud the boldness and vision to create a new place that feels like familiar Star Wars.

I would NOT have cloned the exact same land in Orlando and Anaheim. Even if the rides needed to be mostly the same, I think having two completely unique aesthetics and environments (and layouts) would have amped up the excitement for both. Think Orlando Frontierland vs Paris Frontierland. Making them identical and opening them in quick succession killed the excitement for Orlando's for me.

I would have set it loosely around the Original Trilogy timeframe. That is the definitive 'Star Wars' universe in terms of production design, story and character.
Two completely different lands would increase the cost likely 50%. Not that it wouldn't be worth it, but that's still a lot of money.

DiscoveryTank

Based on what has been built, I would have spent some of the massive budget on...

- a 3rd ride/attraction

- a large sit down restaurant

- larger cantina

- street entertainment

- M&G within the land instead of the utterly ridiculous Launch Bay

- Canon blah blah blah. I would have mixed OT with ST...who cares. Give people recognizable places and characters.

I'm sick of TDO ****ing away billions of dollars on the lands(I'm looking at you Pandora and GE) "immersion". Looking at how pretty the land looks only goes so far before guests realize they wish there was more to do.

They better hope RotR is a home run....and one that is reliable and not prone to breaking down right from the get go.
I do agree on this.
There was a third attraction planned (a C ticket) but Bob Chapek is always beating the budget out of projects.
Immersion is cool and all. Something Universal did really well is blend the immersion with things to do as I spent hours walking around Daigon Alley (probably spelled wrong). There is a lot to do in GE, but a lot of it is looking at the details and if it were not for my (almost) blind eyes I would enjoy it more.
Disney should instead give guests an experience that yes works with canon and is an iconic location as the Tatooine idea I provided would be possible as not much would need to change compared to completely redoing it.
Yes we need a proper M&G spot as Launch Bay is boring and should just be moved there (the M&G). Meet and Greets are fun but they should be dedicated to other areas like “Meet Rey at the Resistance outpost” where she can walk around there or have a station.

A big note here is that I have not yet visit Pandora or GE but I heard many things but I do think the lands are great but Disney did not hit home runs like Uni with Harry Potter.

rodserling27

First off, they definitely botched it with the whole "this is canon!" thing. That's why there's no Vader or Luke or Han? Because they're dead? That's so silly to follow that model. By logical extension, we should now remove all traces of Woody from Toy Story Land because he left the group.

I don't understand what's wrong with just making rides based on the movies. Smuggler's Run is basically a generic simulator with a Star Wars overlay. I am beyond disappointed in it and the lack of things to do in the land. I don't care if we are "immersed, with these people struggling against the first order." I want to see Star Wars things for crying out loud! When I go on Peter Pan's Flight, Winnie the Pooh, or even over at Disneyland - Mr. Toad, Snow White, Pinocchio - I go through familiar scenes of the movie. In some cases, it's a retelling of the movie. Why not do this with Star Wars? How about a "the Story of Luke Skywalker" - a dark ride taking you through the OT, narrated by Mark Hamil as Luke? Giant AA's of him fighting Vader, getting zapped by the Emperor. New technologies and immersive show scenes, maybe even a small element of thrill. It ends with show scenes from the current trilogy, Luke says something like "now it's your turn - choose your own destiny." I dunno, something like that.

I would put bits from each trilogy: something to do with the Pod Races, a ride based on the trench run on the Death Star (interactive!), relive the opening battle from Revenge of the Sith, maybe a "Rey's Journey" attraction where you follow her story to its conclusion, "Princess Leia's X-Wing Mission" or something - you're on a mission from Princess Leia (either as the Resistance or Rebels, doesn't matter) to get something, and you ride in an X-Wing.

tl77

I think if the actual ride was ready to go there would be a lot less complaining... but it would still be missing some important stuff.

It's like they opened Caribbean Plaza in Adventureland, with the gift shop, Tortuga Tavern, Jack Sparrow stage show, Pirate costume shop for kids, Treasure Map scavenger hunt... but the Pirate's "ride" isn't ready yet

...not to mention the fact that Capt Barbarossa, Davy Jones, and Black Beard, all are dead in the movie franchise but are still in the ride.
A Star Wars land with no Darth Vader? the character the whole saga revolves around, seems like a huge mistake to me. If if go to a Star Wars Cantina, I want to see the band from the movie. I want to see Boba Fett, I want to go to a Jabba the Hutt restaurant and see Jabba the Hutt, not his 2nd cousin or something

They spent how many Billion Dollars to buy the world famous "Star Wars I.P."? ...and then they DON'T USE IT??!!?! They're "The I.P. Guys" now, that's all they know how do anymore, how'd they screw that up?

Maybe it doesn't matter that Universal owns the right to Marvel... Disney could just build a generic, vaguely superhero-esque area in Florida, NOT INCLUDE ANY OF THE FAMOUS MARVEL CHARACTERS... and that'd be just as good... right?

drizgirl

Is it true they don't play music in the land? I heard that but don't know if I quite believe it. I need to hear the original Star Wars music as I walk through the land or the whole thing will be a fail. And I'm not even kidding.

cheezbat

Is it true they don't play music in the land? I heard that but don't know if I quite believe it. I need to hear the original Star Wars music as I walk through the land or the whole thing will be a fail. And I'm not even kidding.
They sure don’t. Makes the land seem more ‘real’, but the land really is missing something without it.

The land is good, but it should be so much more. What is it missing? Heart.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom