How would YOU have made a Star Wars land?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Original Poster
Ok now that we've seen the partial opening on both coasts and the various arguments for and against...let's hear it. What would you do?

I think Star Tours set an interesting precedent, the way the parts of the ride covered different eras in the Star Wars films somehow. I believe that is an "out" that could have been done. Split the land into 3 distinct areas/timeframes and give the fans of each generation something they can directly relate to.

That is the biggest criticism I think of the new land, how it has hardly any reference to the original trilogy and is entirely focused on the new characters.

People would probably be more invested in the rebellion vs. the empire than they are with the resistance vs. the first order. It's a small difference but a significant one. The characters of the Empire were so much more compelling than the first order.

I don't know exactly what "planets" you would visit or how you would transition between them, but hey, Pandora is another planet and there's no real transition to get there right?

wplong1

Premium Member
Haven't been yet, so take this for what it's worth, but I'll bite on this one after reading and watching numerous reviews.

Mos Eisley spaceport on Tatooine.

To me no brainer. When I go to the World of Harry Potter I want to immerse in Hogwarts and Hogsmeade, not some unknown magical village in Albania. When I immerse in Star Wars I want to do similar.

N2dru

Disney should have went the familiar route ( Endor, Hoth, etc) instead of a "new" locale. Longtime and even casual fans are familiar with those places. Along with the characters. As mentioned before, Universal got it right with Hogsmeade, and Diagon Alley, because those are locales fans are familiar with and wanted to see and knew what they looked like. Not some unknown portal/realm without more of the well known characters. I understand Disney's want of synergy however you can't exclude the characters and surroundings that made the franchise what it is.

RandySavage

Heartily disagree that it should have been a familiar locale from the movies like Hoth or Tattoine. I applaud the boldness and vision to create a new place that feels like familiar Star Wars.

I would NOT have cloned the exact same land in Orlando and Anaheim. Even if the rides needed to be mostly the same, I think having two completely unique aesthetics and environments (and layouts) would have amped up the excitement for both. Think Orlando Frontierland vs Paris Frontierland. Making them identical and opening them in quick succession killed the excitement for Orlando's for me.

I would have set it loosely around the Original Trilogy timeframe. That is the definitive 'Star Wars' universe in terms of production design, story and character.

Movielover

All I'm hearing lately is "No OT stuff in the land"... Wow giant FU to the character of Chewie right there...

Why the Wookie hate?

giphy.gif

Anders Limpar

OT Endor speeder bike coaster sounded like an excellent idea. Star Tours covers a lot.

While its not my favorite planet, maybe a Tatooine dark ride since that planet has been underutilized. Maybe a Death Star dark ride instead.

I'd love to work in Hoth but since its in Star Tours, we are covered there. Maybe some sort of experience where you hijack and pilot an AT-AT/AT-ST, similar to what happens in ROTJ.

wplong1

Premium Member
OT Endor speeder bike coaster sounded like an excellent idea. Star Tours covers a lot.

While its not my favorite planet, maybe a Tatooine dark ride since that planet has been underutilized. Maybe a Death Star dark ride instead.

I'd love to work in Hoth but since its in Star Tours, we are covered there. Maybe some sort of experience where you hijack and pilot an AT-AT/AT-ST, similar to what happens in ROTJ.

Endor speeder bike coaster is an excellent idea!!

Heppenheimer

If was in charge...
More expensive, exclusive Star Wars tchotchkes. I would then watch with an evil grin as the man-child hoarders... er, collectors poured their money into the tills.

I agree that some kind of speeder bike ride would be cool too.

Marc Davis Fan

Here's how I would've done Galaxy's Edge. I'd keep what we have, except:

(1) Existing in the OT timeline. Vader instead of Kylo (that alone would help a lot), Han as part of the Smuggler's Run story (he and Chewie are lending out the Falcon), etc.

(2) Droids and aliens roaming the land, and performers doing shows on the upper parts of the buildings that were designed for this purpose, as well as drone ships flying by in "the distance" (as also supposedly originally planned).

(3) Slightly richer and warmer color palette.

(4) OPEN RISE OF THE RESISTANCE WITH THE LAND.

Really, it wouldn't take much to make this land perfect. Obviously, (1) and (3) aren't feasible at the moment, but once some version of (2) is accomplished, and RotR is open, I think the land will be close to perfect.

Oh, also let's finish the table service restaurant, and make it huge seating capacity, but made up of many intimate rooms.

All I'm hearing lately is "No OT stuff in the land"... Wow giant FU to the character of Chewie right there...

Why the Wookie hate?

giphy.gif

It's bad enough he didn't get a medal, now he's not even acknowledged as an OT character. Wookies have it tough.

Mike S

First let me start by saying Jakku is useless and should’ve just been Tatooine. If it looks just like an old planet it doesn’t really feel new does it? It’s only new in name.

Having said that, if that were the case then Tatooine would've been the only planet to appear in all 3 trilogies making it the obvious candidate for a land. The setting is the original trilogy with Han and Chewie both being part of the Millenium Falcon ride and the main ride renamed Rise of the Rebellion featuring the Death Star and Darth Vader. A third ride is a Landspeeder coaster through Beggar’s Canyon featuring an encounter with Tuscan Raiders. Jabba’s Palace appears as a table service restaurant. The rest of the land is pretty much the same as it is now but set on Mos Eisley.

I’m fine with what’s currently built btw. I just thought this was an interesting topic.

Fox&Hound

I wonder if Disney would ever consider adding more rides where Muppets currently sits (would hate to lose Muppets) and find a way to make it more inspired by the original trilogy?

bclane

If it was me and I had the budget, I’d have made an entire Star Wars Park. The hub would have been something like a scaled back Black Spire Outpost (beautiful and detailed and other wordly but not necessarily a movie location) that would serve as a space port. To get to the other lands you would board various forms of transport to get to the other exotic locations (think super high capacity people movers). The hub would also be the only outdoor section of this multi location park as all other locations would be inside giant sound stages with projections on the walls and ceilings to fill out the non built out areas and complete the desired illusion. Each land could be a different location from the movies. Some could be planets, but other areas could just be a representation of an indoor location such as a Star Destroyer or Cloud City, etc). These different lands could represent different time periods so perhaps Mickey has created a time traveling people mover to take us back to Endor for the speeder bike roller coaster or FoP style space battle ride where we help Luke take out the first Death Star. Since all of the lands (other than the hub) would be indoors, any environments could be recreated. Of course these lands would all be populated with appropriatel themed aliens, food, and street performers. And of course there would be lots of rides/shows/attractions/shops spread across the park.

DiscoveryTank

Ok now that we've seen the partial opening on both coasts and the various arguments for and against...let's hear it. What would you do?

I think Star Tours set an interesting precedent, the way the parts of the ride covered different eras in the Star Wars films somehow. I believe that is an "out" that could have been done. Split the land into 3 distinct areas/timeframes and give the fans of each generation something they can directly relate to.

That is the biggest criticism I think of the new land, how it has hardly any reference to the original trilogy and is entirely focused on the new characters.

People would probably be more invested in the rebellion vs. the empire than they are with the resistance vs. the first order. It's a small difference but a significant one. The characters of the Empire were so much more compelling than the first order.

I don't know exactly what "planets" you would visit or how you would transition between them, but hey, Pandora is another planet and there's no real transition to get there right?
Simple,
The most iconic place in Star Wars.
Tatooine with a pod racer coaster, Star Tours or Smuggler’s Run at Mos Eisley and possible RotR with a original trilogy theme so it just adds on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom