How would you handle this?????

Todd L

Hello everyone.....Okay so...

I have family In florida. My aunt and Uncle sadly lost their son in a Tragic accident several years ago and while at the wake and funeral My parents got friendly with some of my cousins friends.

Last year one of These friends came to visit my Parents for a week and while they were here pushed their very young child off on my parents almost every night .

They would be off having a good time until all hours and My parents (in their 70's ) would be home watching , feeding , bathing and putting this kid to sleep..This kid didnt know my parents from a hole in the wall.

I found it incredibly low class and negligent to say the least and At some point My uncle who was also visiting had to step in and put an end to it.

Well...thanks to social media these people found out that we are staying at WDW and have attempted to invite themselfs to our vacation with subtle hints that they would like to see us while we are there......

They actually said..."we REALLY wanted to go to Wdw for a few days But cant find a Baby sitter to take care of the child overnight so we can celebrate our anniversary ."

The reality is that they want a Free baby sitter and maybe a free place to crash while we foot the bill and spend our vacation watching their Kid which AINT GONNA HAPPEN.

Normally I would be VERY clear that I didnt want them around but due to the sensitivity with family connections We have taken a DONT ACKNOWLEDGE THE EMAILS stance and Hope it goes away...

I have a Bad feeling that they may not get the hint...maybe even just decide to show up at which point Id probably snap.

HOW DO I HANDLE THIS??

Last edited:

zurgandfriend

Social media can be a great thing however it has it downside as well. Whenever my neighbors go on vacation them always say “we’re going away on vacation, check out our face book page.” I always say to myself if I can check it out so can every cat burglar in the region, but I digress. I would ignore them if at all possible.
1. If they call the resort you’re staying in chances are they’ll leave a message as you’ll be out, delete the message.
2. If the phone rings in the room ignore it, if it’s important someone will leave a message, see number 1.
3. Screen calls, if anyone’s cellphone rings and you don’t recognize the number let it go to voicemail, see number 1.
4. Turn off social media, you don’t want to be receiving text messages, tweets, or anything else, you’re on vacation. Post everything afterward.
5. You didn’t say if you’re staying on or off property, instruct the front desk or gate guard etc. that you are not receiving visitors.
6. If all else fails and they show up uninvited and contact you then tell the truth. You are on vacation, have limited time and budget and you’re schedule doesn’t permit a meeting. If they still don’t get the picture recommend a swim in Bay lake maybe a gator will get them. Good Luck.

Upvote 0

Todd L

Original Poster
Social media can be a great thing however it has it downside as well. Whenever my neighbors go on vacation them always say “we’re going away on vacation, check out our face book page.” I always say to myself if I can check it out so can every cat burglar in the region, but I digress. I would ignore them if at all possible.
1. If they call the resort you’re staying in chances are they’ll leave a message as you’ll be out, delete the message.
2. If the phone rings in the room ignore it, if it’s important someone will leave a message, see number 1.
3. Screen calls, if anyone’s cellphone rings and you don’t recognize the number let it go to voicemail, see number 1.
4. Turn off social media, you don’t want to be receiving text messages, tweets, or anything else, you’re on vacation. Post everything afterward.
5. You didn’t say if you’re staying on or off property, instruct the front desk or gate guard etc. that you are not receiving visitors.
6. If all else fails and they show up uninvited and contact you then tell the truth. You are on vacation, have limited time and budget and you’re schedule doesn’t permit a meeting. If they still don’t get the picture recommend a swim in Bay lake maybe a gator will get them. Good Luck.
LOVE this!!

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Be blunt.

Ignoring them is just rude and in this day and age no-one will believe you didn't get their emails. Tell them they're more than welcome to book a concurrent vacation and you'll be happy to spend some time with them in the parks while you're all there at the same time but your restaurant reservations are already set and your evening planned. Point out that they'll absolutely love seeing their child enjoying Disney and experiencing it together will be a wonderful bonding experience for their family. ;)

Upvote 0

Todd L

Original Poster
Be blunt.

Ignoring them is just rude and in this day and age no-one will believe you didn't get their emails. Tell them they're more than welcome to book a concurrent vacation and you'll be happy to spend some time with them in the parks while you're all there at the same time but your restaurant reservations are already set and your evening planned. Point out that they'll absolutely love seeing their child enjoying Disney and experiencing it together will be a wonderful bonding experience for their family. ;)

May be my best option.Im trying to avoid an Issue between these people and My family that have a relationship with them.
I know its rude to ignore the Emails but its not nearly as Rude as Inviting oneself to spend time where they arent all that welcome??!!..Btw..they Live close enough to WDW that they are there often (3 or 4 times a month) and have annual passes. They sure dont need me there to enjoy the parks .

We are past the point of strollers, feedings and Naps and are REALLY looking forward to having time alone with Just the 4 of us. Also looking forward to seeing my Brother and His family for one evening..They live local to me and we somehow wound up being there for a day and a half together during our trip.
I should have said it earlier but I really have No interest in seeing them...We dont even see our family who Live In Florda while we are at wdw.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
You could respond back and say how you are looking forward to having family time and have so much planned for YOUR family and it is be so busy. I wouldn't acknowledge their subtle hint about the babysitter at all. If they email back with similar requests just say it doesn't work out this visit but perhaps (never) another time.

Upvote 0

KCheatle

I had to deal with somewhat of a similar issue, albeit not as bad, this year when planning our vacation. For the past few vacations, we have traveled with either my parents, my brother's family or both. This year, my DH said he just wanted it to be our family, which I agreed with. However, when I told my family that we had booked, they immediately started with the "Oh! Well, let me see if those dates work and if I can get down there with you." To which I had to politely respond, "Well, actually we wanted to take this trip just on our own this time since we never have gone alone." They were definitely hurt by that and I had to explain that it was nothing personal. We just wanted to have some alone family time. So, we booked our September trip in February. Not 2 weeks later, my parents and my brother's family booked a trip to go together in May. So, I think they got the "hurt" out of their system by going before us. But, I think it will sting a little when we leave here in a few weeks.

Point being, you are going to have to be direct. Don't assume they will get the message because...they won't. And, it will end up messing up your trip (a trip you've been looking forward to and have undoubtedly spent too much money on to risk ruining).

Upvote 0

SMS55

It's funny how it has become so hard for people to not post there business out there. What we used to keep private or write in a journal is now posted on social media freely. I have learned to keep quiet about stuff like this. We are 15 days away from Disney and I have barely told anyone. I don't want stuff like this happening. Most people won't know til they see some post that we are on the road or the Disney World sign on Osceola Pkwy on my facebook page. For me vacations are sacred family time, not time to be fighting with 15 people about where we are going and such. I think that you are going to have to tell these people that you can't meet up with them. This was a family vacation you have your agenda and reservations already set, etc That this is some time for your guys to bond. The last time I I opened my big mouth I told a relative that the wife and I hadn't spent much time together lately because of work and we were fighting a lot so we needed this for us as a family. Unfortunately I don't think ignoring you friend will work because they are trying to tag along and stick someone with their kids. You are going to have to say something and put your foot down.

Upvote 0

Todd L

Original Poster
I can see it now....Sitting By the Pool, having a drink. Watching The kids have a great time while I lovingly stare at my pretty wife ...soaking up the sun when all of the sudden.......

"SURPRISE......we didnt hear from you and thought we would show up unannouced..We cant stay long we have reservations at 8:00 the babys tired, can the baby stay with you ? No biggie. The Baby eats at 7:00 and needs to be in bed by 9:00..........see ya sometime tomorrow after-noonish??!!

Im returning the email Right now!!!

Upvote 0

PrincessMia

@"SMS55- I'm right there with you! We have a trip planned in October and I haven't told a single person on my side of the family. They've even asked when we're going back and I just say I'm not sure. I put way too much work into planning something that works great for the 3 of us in my immediate family, and I have ZERO interest in sharing that with anyone else. I totally see how some people enjoy large extended family trips. That's not us, we know that about ourselves, and we don't publicize it until the last minute.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom