How will Universal's Epic Universe effect Disney?

Andrew25

I mean, not sticking a fork in it by any means, but I assume no major changes are coming to USF until well after Epic opens, which is why I feel if people cut a universal park out, it would be USF.

There are a surprising amount of plans in the work for IOA and USF after EU, almost immediately right after (if Universal doesn't cancel a project obviously.)

The fascinating thing about Universal vs Disney is that we know Universal wants to continue building, while we often have to question Disney.

With that said, if people only want to reserve 2 parks for Universal, USF is the easy one to cut.

SpectreJordan

I am excited for Epic Universe, however outside of Mario and Fantastic Beasts areas, I'm not sure if the classic monsters or how to train your dragon areas are going to be a big draw for the park.
I think the Monsters section will be very popular during the Halloween section.

I wonder if Universal has plans for a second Halloween event in Epic Universe. The Monsters land is already themed to the holiday & Mario could get some Luigi's Mansion stuff.

J4546

There are a surprising amount of plans in the work for IOA and USF after EU, almost immediately right after (if Universal doesn't cancel a project obviously.)

The fascinating thing about Universal vs Disney is that we know Universal wants to continue building, while we often have to question Disney.

With that said, if people only want to reserve 2 parks for Universal, USF is the easy one to cut.
What's coming to islands and usf?

Andrew25

What's coming to islands and usf?

Universal is well aware of the abandoned theaters, outdated IPs, Fast & Furious, and the overuse of screen-based attractions at USF.

Minions and the DreamWorks takeover of Kidzone are all happening to keep the parks relevant for the next few years until they can afford to work on massive projects.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Universal is well aware of the abandoned theaters, outdated IPs, Fast & Furious, and the overuse of screen-based attractions at USF.

Minions and the DreamWorks takeover of Kidzone are all happening to keep the parks relevant for the next few years until they can afford to work on massive projects.
Do they know about an Island filled with cartoon characters no one under the age of 40 recognizes?

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
USF is the easy one to cut

Why is it easy? I happen to like USF.

I can easily spend an hour or two just wandering around Diagon. The Bourne show is great. Mardi Gras with the food options equally as good. Above average TS options. Good rides for the most part.

I love how people just make blanket assessments based on what they think. You must be the "expert" on all things theme park.

lazyboy97o

Universal is in the middle of spending billions right now. They can afford major projects. The next two projects to open are smaller in scale to get Universal Orlando Resort back on track with opening a new attraction every year. Larger projects would not have been ready in time for 2023 and 2024.

J4546

If epic universe is as cool as it looks like it'll be at the start, it may be better than, or neck and neck with IoA. Either way, I'd personally put USF as the park I'd skip if I had to pick 1.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I think one of the smartest things Universal has done is spreading franchises across multiple parks. Harry Potter will be in all three parks and it seems highly likely Nintendo will eventually find its way to the other two parks (rumors of a Zelda land and a Pokémon land make it seem those two are almost certain). As a Harry Potter fan (and as my kids love Harry Potter too), it means visiting all three parks each visit will be musts. I'm not sure Star Wars or Marvel are quite as strong as Harry Potter (at least not current Harry Potter), but if they could get a really strong franchise to spread around... it could be effective. Unfortunately, the currently strong franchises would be a tough squeeze in any of the other parks (maybe a Dagobah in AK? Yeah... that's a terrible idea).

Animaniac93-98

I think one of the smartest things Universal has done is spreading franchises across multiple parks. Harry Potter will be in all three parks

Which I think is a mistake.

The whole appeal of the current Wizarding Worlds is that they are an integrated experience, despite how spread out they are.

Having The Ministry of Magic miles down the road (within the same Potter timeline) breaks that cohesive design. That attraction should have gone next to Diagon Alley where Fear Factor was.

Now if the land had been all Fantastic Beats, that would have made more sense, and been more unique, but given how that franchise turned out it's probably for the best they didn't go that route.

There was no rule that Epic Universe had to have more Harry Potter. Universal Singapore doesn't. As excited as I am for Epic Universe, I wish they had done something else like Lord of the Rings, or a Back to the Future land that's divided into sub-sections set in 1985, 1955, 1885 and 2015.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Which I think is a mistake.

The whole appeal of the current Wizarding Worlds is that they are an integrated experience, despite how spread out they are.

Having The Ministry of Magic miles down the road (within the same Potter timeline) breaks that cohesive design. That attraction should have gone next to Diagon Alley where Fear Factor was.

Now if the land had been all Fantastic Beats, that would have made more sense, and been more unique, but given how that franchise turned out it's probably for the best they didn't go that route.

There was no rule that Epic Universe had to have more Harry Potter. Universal Singapore doesn't. As excited as I am for Epic Universe, I wish they had done something else like Lord of the Rings, or a Back to the Future land that's divided into sub-sections set in 1985, 1955, 1885 and 2015.

I do see your point. But I think it’s execution and commitment.

Uni did Diagon right. I think they’ll do Ministry right.

Compare that with a Frozen sing along and Olaf M&G in DHS, a Frozen retheme of Maelstrom in EPCOT with an Anna and Elsa M&G, and scattered Frozen things in MK - I’m thinking Uni “gets it” a little more than Disney does at this point. Which is sad.

Rich Brownn

Part of what’s been discussed is moving some of the “back of the house” over to EPIC.

Which frees up space for expansion at the current parks. Then you also have a potential Diagon expansion moving into the space occupied by Fear Factor. Rumored to be a Potter style broom attraction similar to FoP

I wouldn’t “stick a fork” into USF yet.
That VR project has been scrapped. It was originally an Epic attraction, the USF, and then cancelled.

Andrew25

Why is it easy? I happen to like USF.

I can easily spend an hour or two just wandering around Diagon. The Bourne show is great. Mardi Gras with the food options equally as good. Above average TS options. Good rides for the most part.

I love how people just make blanket assessments based on what they think. You must be the "expert" on all things theme park.

USF is my favorite park between the two, spend most time between the two just like you. But most people aren't going to skip 3 of the world's greatest attractions conceived ever at IOA (Spiderman/Velocicoaster/Hagrid).

It wasn't a blanket assessment, I visit the parks on a frequent basis and can tell that IOA at the moment, based both on crowd levels and discussions, that it's the superior of the two Universal parks at the moment.

Walt Disney1955

In 2010 when Harry Potter opened up it was supposed to be the end of the attendance dominance at WDW. It didn't. Now, eventually you figure that Universal will really narrow this gap, and this could be it, but we have heard it for a while. Volcano Bay was supposed to be the thing too. I just think it is great that there is a place that tries to outdo Disney. Because Universal is a sight to see and it seems to get better.

TalkToEthan

I think one of the smartest things Universal has done is spreading franchises across multiple parks.

To experience all Potter:
Diagon--> Hog Express-->Hogmeade;
then Lost Continent, Dr Sues, Port of Entry, City Walk, parking lot for bus or personal car, public street travel, parking lot again, Epic Adv. park scan in, Train a Dragon and finally Potter again.

Terrible plan

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom