How will Universal's Epic Universe effect Disney?

Haymarket

"effect" is correct.

You're thinking of "think Epic U will affect Disney parks..." which is correct.

If you can replace "effect" with "result (in)," you've used it correctly.

If you can replace "affect" with "cause" or "change," you've used it correctly. [Except when you mean to use "affect" to mean "emotional state."]

Exactly.

Something has an "effect" on something else. (Noun)

When something impacts something else, the former "affects" the latter. (Verb)

To make something happen, one "effects" the thing that happens. (Verb)

The thread's title should have used "affect."

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Exactly.

Something has an "effect" on something else. (Noun)

When something impacts something else, the former "affects" the latter. (Verb)

To make something happen, one "effects" the thing that happens. (Verb)

The thread's title should have used "affect."
Ah... maybe that's what Buddy was referring to!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
No. He was quoting something that used "effect" correctly ("I think Epic U will have an effect on Disney parks for about 2-5 years after it opens, unless Disney does something!").
Yeah, but that's the first post of the thread, perhaps Buddy was using that post to correct the title.

I'm sure @BuddyThomas is delighted we're so interested in him!

Haymarket

Yeah, but that's the first post of the thread, perhaps Buddy was using that post to correct the title.

I'm sure @BuddyThomas is delighted we're so interested in him!
You're being too kind.

He replied with the single word "affect" to a quoted section of a post that used "effect" correctly.

He didn't reply to the title of the thread. He could have done that, but he didn't. He clearly replied to part of a post that used "effect" correctly.

His reply of "affect" was in reply to the quoted section, not the title of thread, which he didn't quote; his reply impliedly "corrects" (incorrectly) the quoted use of "effect."

One replies to the section one is quoting, not the title of a thread, even if one is quoting the first post in the thread. To reply or refer to the title of a thread, one would quote the title of the thread, like this:

HOW WILL UNIVERSAL'S EPIC UNIVERSE PARK EFFECT DISNEY?

BuddyThomas

You're being too kind.

He replied with the single word "affect" to a quoted section of a post that used "effect" correctly.

He didn't reply to the title of the thread. He could have done that, but he didn't. He clearly replied to part of a post that used "effect" correctly.

His reply of "affect" was in reply to the quoted section, not the title of thread, which he didn't quote; his reply impliedly "corrects" (incorrectly) the quoted use of "effect."

One replies to the section one is quoting, not the title of a thread, even if one is quoting the first post in the thread. To reply or refer to the title of a thread, one would quote the title of the thread, like this:
I was talking about the freaking title of the thread. Good lord.

Minnesota disney fan

I am excited for Epic Universe, however outside of Mario and Fantastic Beasts areas, I'm not sure if the classic monsters or how to train your dragon areas are going to be a big draw for the park.
I don't know. I love FB and the classic monsters are, well, classic! I'm looking forward to both of them:). How totrain your dragon is okay but no real interest in that one. However, I bet there are a lot of fans out there.

J4546

I am excited for Epic Universe, however outside of Mario and Fantastic Beasts areas, I'm not sure if the classic monsters or how to train your dragon areas are going to be a big draw for the park.
Im excited as well but I dont think its gonna be like the greatest park ever or anything but I do love the theme. I think the Dragon area might be the surprise of the 4 lands. Looks like it will be really colorful and lush with water features as well, i dig it.

Rich Brownn

Im excited as well but I dont think its gonna be like the greatest park ever or anything but I do love the theme. I think the Dragon area might be the surprise of the 4 lands. Looks like it will be really colorful and lush with water features as well, i dig it.
If we the show from Shanghai that alone will justify me spending a lot of time in that land ;)

gitchard

I am local and have the had a annual pass to Disney for about 20 straight years. Going to the parks are my way of escaping everyday life. I have never really been interested in Universal. Went one time about 20 years ago and didn't really do anything for me.

That being said, the way Disney has been raising prices, screwing AP holders and the overall decline of the park experience I am looking at changing to Uni. I renewed this year only to see Tron but if there is no changes, then I will probably not renew and get AP for Uni. If I do that, I probably will never do Disney again since I will lose the renew discount for my AP.

Vinnie Mac

i was so dissapointed with gringotts when we went a month ago. The land, que and preshow was great but my god the ride is a let down imo.
I think the ride was pretty good but I really thought there were gonna be more coaster elements after that satisfying first drop. After the drop and some turns it's just your average 3D ride. The queue is probably more fun to walk through than the ridd itself

Vinnie Mac

I am local and have the had a annual pass to Disney for about 20 straight years. Going to the parks are my way of escaping everyday life. I have never really been interested in Universal. Went one time about 20 years ago and didn't really do anything for me.
You should try Universal again. I still definitely prefer Disney to it but a lot has changed in the last 20 years. Lots of amazing rides and lands to get lost in

Alanzo

I saw Puss in Boots 2 in theatres last week and was really surprised at how high quality of a film it was compared to Disney's Pixar/Animation Studios. It felt right up there , and it was a Puss in Boots sequel! Makes me think that maybe I have been eschewing Universal Studios for too long (haven't been since 2016 with no kids).

FettFan

Check out Bioreconstruct’s twitter feed; he posts aerial imagery of the theme parks and construction projects, both Disney and Universal.

It looks like Epic Universe is going to have at least 4 roller coasters.
- ‘Train Your Dragon’ coaster
- Dual racing coaster (theme unknown, adjacent to ‘Train Your Dragon’ land)
- Donkey Kong Country Coaster (based on the mine cart levels of the DKC video games)
- Universal Monsters land Coaster

Uni has definitely taken notice of the dual successes of Hagrid’s and the Velocicoaster.
If the coasters are good, the IPs they’re tied to won’t matter.

After all, even people who hate James Cameron’s Avatar and only watched the first half hour before turning it off (me), actually do enjoy Fight of Passage.

Last edited:

TalkToEthan

Im excited as well but I dont think its gonna be like the greatest park ever

It will be the 3rd greatest park on earth and easily the best in Florida……..just my lofty prediction.

It seems pretty obvious based on Universal’s track record and trajectory of projects in the US and abroad coupled with what we already know about this specific park. Its place settings and attention to details will be next level.

I think it will rip the domestic industry a new one.

Andrew25

The biggest impact EU will have on Disney is that Universal is building not one but two new hotels simultaneously with plans for even more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom