How WDW Co. spins ...

Brad Bishop

THIS. Sadly I think Star Wars is too little too late. Disney should have built a SW land years ago they have had the park rights for years long before the LucasFilm purchase. Look what happened when Disney bought LucasFilm SWW went down in scope and quality until they were axed

I can attest to that. I remember taking my daughter, yearly, to SWW and it was kind of cool with unique merchandise and things to do 5+ years back. The last few times (3-4) we went I really remember standing there and thinking, "This is mediocre. The merchandise is basically the Star Wars equivalent the the Emporium on Main St (T shirts, plush, and junk). The other bits were toned down, too. The last one I went to was in 2014 or maybe 2013 and I remember thinking that I'd be OK to skip this going forward."

Brad Bishop

Its going to be an accumulative effect, it took Disney decades to build up the brand. I think damage has already been done. Look us tht are discussin it now. We might be only a small group but we have friends that know us as the go to Disney people. We can not with good conscience recommend a trip right now. Don't underestimate word of mouth.

My daughter went with her mom recently and when she got back her (daughter's) thoughts were:
- This is stupid expensive, now - everything!
- It's kind of mediocre. For the money you pay, it doesn't feel like you're getting much.
- Food was "meh"

She knows nothing about this thread. She's 22, now, and we had been on many occasions over the years. This was the first time where she was more of the attitude of, "I think I'll find something else to do next time."

FigmentJedi

I remember when the trailers for Detours first showed up a few years back. I thought it looked incredibly funny and was a great idea (I think Seth Green was behind it). So sad it was axed. At one time they (Lucas? Disney??) were actually fully behind it.
Just Lucasfilm. It was shelved pretty much immediately with vague claims it'd show up sometime on Netflix after Disney bought it because they didn't want that to be children's first impression of Star Wars.

NearTheEars

Just Lucasfilm. It was shelved pretty much immediately with vague claims it'd show up sometime on Netflix after Disney bought it because they didn't want that to be children's first impression of Star Wars.

Honestly, it looks hilarious, but I understand why it's been pulled.
Too bad they completed 30+ episodes.

(Edited to change episode #)

Last edited:

Brad Bishop

Honestly, it looks hilarious, but I understand why it's been pulled.
Too bad they completed 60+ episodes.

Really? I didn't know that.
350.png

Magenta Panther

That's because Kathleen Kennedy and other Lucasfilm top brass hated Hyperspace Hoopla and the mashup characters that were staples of SWW. You can't take a franchise you're trying to reboot seriously if you have Goofy going around dressed as Darth Vader and have a day's festivities end on something like a Skywalker Mother-Daughter twerk team.

It's also why this thing remains frozen in carbonite in the Disney Vault.

See, even though I'm not a huge Star Wars fans apart from the first two films, I thought that show looked horrible. The Family Guy parodies were masterpieces by comparison.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
My daughter went with her mom recently and when she got back her (daughter's) thoughts were:
- This is stupid expensive, now - everything!
- It's kind of mediocre. For the money you pay, it doesn't feel like you're getting much.
- Food was "meh"

She knows nothing about this thread. She's 22, now, and we had been on many occasions over the years. This was the first time where she was more of the attitude of, "I think I'll find something else to do next time."

Your daughter is exactly the type of person Disney is losing with it's current stupidity in 10 years she WILL NOT be bringing her kids to WDW to experience for themselves the Magic that she felt as a kid and young adult.

Brad Bishop

Your daughter is exactly the type of person Disney is losing with it's current stupidity in 10 years she WILL NOT be bringing her kids to WDW to experience for themselves the Magic that she felt as a kid and young adult.

Yep. That's why I think that while they can suck at the teet now for all it's worth, this will, about 10 years or so down the line, bite them in the butt. Of course, the current folks in charge will be gone with their golden parachutes by then.

matt9112

Yeah it's crazy I'm 26 and it was a part of my childhood and I have taken my son twice and he's 5 now we moved back to florida so annual passes are up for grabs and Universal is a sure bet.

Filby61

Yep. That's why I think that while they can suck at the teet now for all it's worth, this will, about 10 years or so down the line, bite them in the butt. Of course, the current folks in charge will be gone with their golden parachutes by then.

Nail on the head, both posts. The magic of WDW & DL that we grew up with was the product of the heart, soul and business practices of a company that no longer exists, except in name. The magical experience was handed down from parents to kids.

The magic is being overshadowed by the in-your-face grab & greed of the media moguls and marketeers who dominate today's Disney. They're flirting with killing the golden goose: lose the parents-to-be, and you lose a generation of kid customers yet unborn. Worse, every one of those parents-to-be becomes a walking, talking advertisement, telling every parent-to-be they know to stay away from your money pit.

Management can be guaranteed that by the time they get their collective heads out of the place where the sun doesn't shine, it will be too late to get those customers back. "The Magic Kingdoms" will have become synonymous with "ripoff" in the hearts and minds of the public.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

My nephews (6 and 10) said without a doubt that they enjoy the Disney Cruise Line more than the Disney Parks. These are kids that loved the parks but they recognized that everything was done better on the Cruise Line.

Mike S

Nail on the head, both posts. The magic of WDW & DL that we grew up with was the product of the heart, soul and business practices of a company that no longer exists, except in name. The magical experience was handed down from parents to kids.

The magic is being overshadowed by the in-your-face grab & greed of the media moguls and marketeers who dominate today's Disney. They're flirting with killing the golden goose: lose the parents-to-be, and you lose a generation of kid customers yet to be born. Worse, every one of those parents-to-be becomes a walking, talking advertisement, telling every parent-to-be they know to stay away from your money pit.

Management can be guaranteed that by the time they get their collective heads out of the place where the sun doesn't shine, it will be too late to get those customers back. "The Magic Kingdoms" will have become synonymous with "ripoff" in the hearts and minds of the public.
Much like Six Flags. And where oh where will Universal be in this future, hmmmmmmmm? New attractions, new water park, new hotels, new park, etc. ;)

It's very hard to think about now but anything can happen. Even Rome fell.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I can attest to that. I remember taking my daughter, yearly, to SWW and it was kind of cool with unique merchandise and things to do 5+ years back. The last few times (3-4) we went I really remember standing there and thinking, "This is mediocre. The merchandise is basically the Star Wars equivalent the the Emporium on Main St (T shirts, plush, and junk). The other bits were toned down, too. The last one I went to was in 2014 or maybe 2013 and I remember thinking that I'd be OK to skip this going forward."
In my family I'm not the Star Wars guy, But after Disney bought Lucasfilm it was like they threw a switch at SWW weekends, There used to be dozens of SW actors artists and writers there you could not get all the autographs and sessions even if you tried, After the purchase one or two big names and half hearted M&G's

Filby61

Much like Six Flags. And where oh where will Universal be in this future, hmmmmmmmm? New attractions, new water park, new hotels, new park, etc. ;)

Yep. And a draw not only for more and more ex-Disney customers, but for the best and brightest of ex-Disney imagineers and management -- those with a real sense of what makes the magic work.

The Bob Brigade doesn't seem to care that the generational success of the Magic Kingdoms relies on an enormous, generations-long feedback loop between the Disney company as showmen/businessmen and its customers as audience: the company entertains the audience with a unique product, the audience applauds and comes back for more.

Customers don't applaud airlines, banks, Comcast, Verizon or AT&T. But that's increasingly how they're being treated by the management of Disney's domestic Parks -- as faceless cash streams to be ever-more-efficiently tapped by a generic Wall Street corporation.

It's very hard to think about now but anything can happen. Even Rome fell.

My hope is that some day OLC buys P&R, and that afterward TDB does the same thing it does with Emeryville: manage the licensing, count the profits, and otherwise keep the hell out.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom