How To...

k.hunter30

Original Poster
There seem to be so many techniques and ideas that this "green"-to-scrapbooking-gal just doesn't know how to pull off. I thought I'd start a support-like thread for those with "how to..." questions like me.

In making one of those small chipboard albums, what's the best way to adhere the background paper? Is there a certain adhesive that would work best and would not peel up on the edges? How do you cut the paper for a perfect fit? Any other suggestions or things I should keep in mind when undertaking a project like this?

Here is kind of what I'm planning:
BB_MWIloveU.jpg

...though not this exact album.

ljs1691

I typically use tombow mono adhesive on most surfaces including some of the chipboard word albums. As long as it is a permanent adhesive it should work (like the tape runners).

I'm pretty much a 'one adhesive fits all' kind of girl with the exception of glue dots....love those things.

Oh and I use my exacto knife for trimming my paper but you have to have a steady hand to do it or you will cut through paper, chipboard, and a few fingers. I tried different things until I found what worked for me. I get the edges as close as I can and once I adhere the paper, I use a file to sand the edges down if needed. Does that make any sense? I have also gone with tracing the word onto the paper and then cutting out.

Laurie

k.hunter30

Original Poster
Great idea for a thread, Kat!

Though I've never done a chipboard album like you're talking about, I think I'd use this: http://www.thermowebonline.com/dyn_prod.php?p=4052&k=86237.

This is what I use for ribbons, Cricut cutouts, die-cuts, etc. and it works great.
I'm not familiar with that product. But it looks great! I'll have to see if a local store carries it.

I typically use tombow mono adhesive on most surfaces including some of the chipboard word albums. As long as it is a permanent adhesive it should work (like the tape runners).

I'm pretty much a 'one adhesive fits all' kind of girl with the exception of glue dots....love those things.

Oh and I use my exacto knife for trimming my paper but you have to have a steady hand to do it or you will cut through paper, chipboard, and a few fingers. I tried different things until I found what worked for me. I get the edges as close as I can and once I adhere the paper, I use a file to sand the edges down if needed. Does that make any sense? I have also gone with tracing the word onto the paper and then cutting out.

Laurie
The file idea is a great one...
When using tape runners on a project like this, do you use it ALL around every edge, so it doesn't peel?

Mod Podge is an excellent adhesive for those types of projects.
Does that give it a shiny coating?

danirae

This is a great new thread. I have been wondering the same thing about covering the chipboard with paper. Thanks for starting it.

ljs1691

Ok, let me see how to explain.....I usually apply the adhesive in an almost steady strip. I do get pretty close to the edge and I put a strip in the middle but not a solid strip just enough to keep it secure.

It will also depend on the chipboard I use. Some chipboard is rough and you need to use a very tacky adhesive so it will stick well or just alot of it. If the chipboard is smooth I don't use as much because it tends to stick better.

Are you confused yet?

k.hunter30

Original Poster
Ok, let me see how to explain.....I usually apply the adhesive in an almost steady strip. I do get pretty close to the edge and I put a strip in the middle but not a solid strip just enough to keep it secure.

It will also depend on the chipboard I use. Some chipboard is rough and you need to use a very tacky adhesive so it will stick well or just alot of it. If the chipboard is smooth I don't use as much because it tends to stick better.

Are you confused yet?
Yeah... I think that makes sense. It seems like this might be the easiest for me... Though I still may check out Mod Podge, i'm just not sure how confident I'll be with it.

Okay.. thanks guys! Anyone else have a "how to..." feel free to post! I'll check back with you guys to let you know how this project goes. I have until the 31st!

Disneyfalcon

I am doing one of these albums right now!!! I love it!!

I have used modge podge before and it works well especially if you're going around curves like the cover of a book. For this one I've just used my standard hermafix adhesive and haven't had any problems.

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
I actually just ordered the "BABY" chipboard album for my new nephew (born yesterday!!!) and the "BELIEVE" album for my next Disney trip. I have never done an album before, but I do sometimes make homemade board books for my classroom, and I have covered chipboard letters for my scrapbook pages.

I used Stampin Up 2-way glue to adhere the paper, trimmed the edges as close as I could with scissors, then used a sander/file (made by BoBunny) to sand the edges until flush with the chipboard. Make sense?

I think all of these ideas will work, it just depends on your supplies, what you think will be easiest, what you will use again & again.

Be sure to post pics of your album-I would love to see it!

Disneyfalcon

Yes Believe!!! That's the one I'm doing now!! Disney version! I've finished the outside but not the insides of the pages. I keep getting tempted to post pics of the outside but I'm trying to be patient and finish it before I post.:)

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
oh, yours will defiantely blow mine out of the water...you're so talented. Isn't that funny we both thought of Disney for that album?! I didn't want to do an entire album, but this October will be my first trip during Halloween, so I wanted to scrap it some. Can't wait to see yours, Tammy!

Disneyfalcon

oh, yours will defiantely blow mine out of the water...you're so talented. Isn't that funny we both thought of Disney for that album?! I didn't want to do an entire album, but this October will be my first trip during Halloween, so I wanted to scrap it some. Can't wait to see yours, Tammy!

Oh no way! I am copying an idea I saw for it in a magazine.

I really need to finish!!:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom