How to start scrapbooking?

louise900star

Original Poster
Hi everyone,

I've been reading the thread on scrapbooking and it's something that i've never thought of doing before. All my photo's get shoved in an album and left there.

When i saw all the ideas that you guys have come up with for scrapbooking, it really made me want to start one for when i come back off my trip in August.

Personally, i'm not a creative person and wouldn't have a clue how to go about starting one of these off. Also i live in the UK and would find it hard to get the supplies from the sites you have posted.

What i would like to know is how did you all go about starting your scrapbooks and what things will i need to be able to do it?

Any help would be appreciated as i finish my exams soon and will have 2 whole months before my trip to start a book!

Thank you!

k.hunter30

My first scrapbook was very simple. I didn't use any special supplies, I just used different color paper. I bought some of those fun scissors that can cut designs (WDW has one that cuts with the shape of the Mickey icon) and pasted those on my pages as decorations. I would also use stickers - which you can get anywhere. The main thing you want to keep in mind is you'll want to use acid-free products. That way, your scrapbook will keep longer.

I only bought one package of scrapbook paper and designs at the DTD scrapbook store - so I'm sure I'll be doing a lot of simple stuff too on this scrapbook. Keeping it simple also saves a BUNCH of money. Beware: scrapbooking can get expensive!

You'll love it! And be sure to share you ideas!

Figment82

I am making a scrapbook for the seven months I spent at WDW during the college program. I have over 800 photos that I'm using, so I too went the simple route to save on time and money.

I mainly use colored paper, decorative scissors, and I also have rubber alphabet stamps to create headers (easy and reusable - much cheaper than stickers or those die-cut machines). I also use free objects like maps, fast passes, etc that I picked up over time to embellish the pages. For instance, during the Food and Wine Festival I highlighted all of the food I ate, then cut out the map and pasted it onto a scrapbook page along with my F&W photos. It came out great!

Disneyfalcon

Hi Louise!

I agree with everyone above. Scrapbooks can be as simple or elaborate as you want them to be. To get started I would recommend an album, paper trimmer, adhesive and colored paper.

After that you can buy stickers, stamps, etc., or any other kind of embellishments if you want to dress it up a little. I'd recommend looking at other peoples layouts that are posted online for ideas or outright copying.:D

You'll love it once you start!

You can get a ton of stuff on ebay where many people will ship overseas.:)

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I've often thought about doing it...just never got a round tuit.

tuitround.jpg

haveyoumetmark

Oooh, wow. This is cool. :wave:

I used to scrapbook, but I stopped a while ago. Nice of Steve to set up a Scrapbooking sub forum, I imagine there are a lot of poeple who scrapbook. I was at Michael's the other day, and they have A TON of new Disney scrapbook inserts and decorations. You can even buy a Disney scrapbook, very cool.

ljs1691

Oooh, wow. This is cool. :wave:

I used to scrapbook, but I stopped a while ago. Nice of Steve to set up a Scrapbooking sub forum, I imagine there are a lot of poeple who scrapbook. I was at Michael's the other day, and they have A TON of new Disney scrapbook inserts and decorations. You can even buy a Disney scrapbook, very cool.

It started with a thread in the general discussion that grew to 200 posts within a pretty short amount of time and Steve asked us what we thought about our own spot. We were all excited.

Oh, I agree about Michael's having a ton of new stuff. There are several things at our local store that have not even shown up on the EK Success website and its their product. Go figure? Did you see the scrapbooks for $50? They were nice but I'll be waiting for a 50% coupon before I consider one.

haveyoumetmark

It started with a thread in the general discussion that grew to 200 posts within a pretty short amount of time and Steve asked us what we thought about our own spot. We were all excited.

Oh, I agree about Michael's having a ton of new stuff. There are several things at our local store that have not even shown up on the EK Success website and its their product. Go figure? Did you see the scrapbooks for $50? They were nice but I'll be waiting for a 50% coupon before I consider one.

Yes, I saw those. Scrapbooking isn't a cheap hobby at all. Those Jolee (I think that's what they're called) Stickers that are like 3-D can really spruce up a page, but they are like $10 for five stickers. Some of the stuff is really cool, like the violins have pluckable strings, but they're just really overpriced. I can't help but buy them sometimes when I'm working on a project or something.

Disneyfalcon

Yep I buy the Jolees too. I hate to think about how many I've bought and will never use. I now only buy when I have a page in mind!!

Figment82

I ran out of sticky square tabs tonight so I'll have to run to Michael's tomorrow to get more - I dread the thought of how many more items I'll talk myself into getting!

I'm guilty of using rubber cement to glue my photos onto the pages, then read about how horrible it is for your photos, so I guess I'll need to go back and remove the glue. That'll be a fun project... :brick:

louise900star

Original Poster
I'm going to go out tomorrow and look for some things to start my book. Obviously the main thing i'll need will be the book itself.

What would you say is the best type of book for me to get?

I honestly don't have a clue :)

Disneyfalcon

Louise there's many different kinds. Two most poplular kinds are either drop in pages or strap hinge.

Strap Hinge albums are what mouselvrmom is using in the layouts she's posted. The pages are built in and you just add what you want right on the page. They're usually white pages but they have all black and all brown too. After you decorate the page you add a page protector on top if you want. Oh I just remembered I used a strap hinge album for my autograph pages in the layout thread. I covered the background page with colored cardstock.

The other kind that is used a lot is drop in pages. I used them in most of my layouts in the long thread. Here you pick whatever color of cardstock and use that as your background. Decorate it and then you "drop it in" the page protectors.

Now both of these come in different sizes. Neither is better then the other. As long as your products are "acid free", just choose whichever you like better.:)

mouselvrmom

Just to add to what disneyfalcon said about album types, I used to use drop in pages in my first albums. While they might be slightly more economical, what I don't like about my first albums is that they are the ring binder type and I must have them too full because sometimes the rings will come apart a little and my pages will slip out of the ring and then I have to reput all of them in. So I do like the strap hinge a little bit better, but of course you can get those too full as well, and then the hinges slip and you have to tighten them. So there are pros and cons no matter which style you choose.

Kristi Kay

Since we are talking about the Scrapbook Itself...any suggestions on a VERY expandable scrapbook....

The past two I've made(I bought the books from the DTD Scrapbook Store) I've put extenders in them, but there are still WAY to small....

Suggestions, please....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom