How to overcome not being a rides person?

HerefortheFood

Original Poster
I know it seems ridiculous that I'm going to WDW and not be a rides person but I've always been scared of rides. I know my partner will want me to go on some of them (maybe not all of them). I am interested in the Star Wars and Pandora stuff. I will not do Tower of Terror.

I've watched the Ride Videos of:
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train - from watching the other ones, this one seems a bit lame?
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad - more intense
Space Mountain - not a big fan of the going fast in the pitch dark thing.
Slinky Dog Dash - also seems a bit lame?
Rock N Rollercoaster - you know what? I'm good if I skip this.
Expedition Everest - not sure about this one.
Dinosaur - looks like it uses more volume to scare
Soarin' - interested in this one
Test Track - kinda seems lame other than the last minute of going really fast

The ones that seem the most intense are Expedition Everest and Rock N Rollercoaster.

I don't think that I get motion sickness.

Why go to WDW? I'm going for the food ;)

Tjaden

Don't ride anything you don't feel comfortable with and I'm sure your partner will understand. I get really sick on Mission Space so I skip it and the wife enjoys it. I love ToT and the wife hates it so she skips it. No reason to make yourself uncomfortable for something like a ride.

HerefortheFood

Original Poster
Don't ride anything you don't feel comfortable with and I'm sure your partner will understand. I get really sick on Mission Space so I skip it and the wife enjoys it. I love ToT and the wife hates it so she skips it. No reason to make yourself uncomfortable for something like a ride.
Oh she isn't bullying me but it seems like a terrific waste of money to not go on the rides even if I was a little uncomfortable?

Last edited:

mysto

Different things are scary to different people, so it's hard to say what will be OK and what will not. None of the rides will kill or really hurt you, so just do whatever you feel like doing. You may even find you have a taste for some of it. Try *something* and take it from there...

Goofyernmost

Thrill rides are a very small part of Disney inventory. There are shows and slow, dark rides but since you used the word lame a lot, chances are you do not understand the real thing that draws people to WDW by the millions every year. It is a state of being, an escape to another place. if the coaster rides are lame, instead of I just don't care for coasters, then you probably are going to not like anything. Trust me, although the food is good in some of the places it is a very expensive lunch if that is the only reason you are going.

All but RnRC and Everest are pretty tame (not lame), Soarin is a fun ride for the whole family regardless of age and something that is nothing like a coaster. It is more of a simulator that hardly moves more than a few feet as are most of the Disney rides. But, heck if you want to pay that much money to just eat, stop by my place. I'll be happy to whip you up a hot dog and chips for less then $100.00. Not much less, but I do cook up a mean hot dog. ;)

JIMINYCR

There’s plenty of other things other than rides. Many elderly guests go with the intention of doing other things than rides. Many disabled guests are limited on what they can do. There are a variety of shows, parades, fireworks, shops, snacks, dining, interact with CMs, pin trade and other things to do. There are attractions that are quite calm and not as rough if that’s what interests you. Yes you are not going to get the value others get from doing it all but you may find there enough to do. Everyone’s different so I’d suggest you flip through a good guide book and pick out those other things that would fit your likes.

SamandplanningUK

As a family we have very different options when it comes to rides, my husband has a plastic ear drums and struggles with motion sickness so avoids 3d/centrifugal force rides. I have a high risk of detached retinas so I avoid anything very fast/with inversions, my son HATES big drops.

There are still SO MANY rides we can go on as a family, Soarin is our absolute favourite because of the immersive feel. We also love Kili Safari's, Kali River Rapids, Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion but to name just a few.

This ride variety is what keeps bringing us back to WDW rather than Universal where a lot of the rides are coasters and/or 3d.

Epcot is going to be your best park by a mile!

nickys

Premium Member
I’m a ride wimp. I won’t even do some of the rides you listed as “lame” although I love Big Thunder, TT and 7dmt.

There are loads of great rides for everyone, whatever they like. The queues are great too, it’s worth doing some of them and just take the chicken exit. (Be warned, the chicken exit for ToT involves an elevator 😂😂).

MickeyLuv'r

1. I think watching ride videos is a big mistake. I lament that they exist. IMO, the fun of WDW is the discovery. I don't say that to be dismissive, but I think they tend to give a false impression of many rides. I started going to WDW long before the internet, so they didn't exist. (Though back in the day, WDW sold the ancient picture 'slides' of some rides.) The few I've watched seem incredibly boring. To me, that is nothing like being at WDW.

Lecture aside, the fun of many parts of WDW is in the discovery and surprise. It is the immersion that is fun, and catching small details. Seeing them in video is not the same at all, but it does ruin the discovery aspect.

2.All of the bigger rides have a chicken exit. So you can stay with your partner through the queue, see the queue, keep each other company. then just duck out for the actual 5minutes of the ride if you wish. I wouldn't PAY for an ILL if you don't plan to ride, but otherwise it can be fun to see the pre-shows and queues.

3. Going on new rides is a bit scary, but it is healthy and good to push our limits from time to time. There is no better place to test our limits a little than a theme park. If a person is in good health over all, then the rides have been carefully engineered to be safe. Of course one should heed safety warnings.

One tidbit that might help is to know the duration of each ride. Rock and Rollercoaster, for example, is only 90 seconds long! It is super short!

Big Thunder is pretty tame. People scream on it, but more to kinda pretend it is more intense than it is. If you don't like speed, on this one, it helps a great deal to sit in one of the front seats. (that is true on many older coasters.)

Seven Dwarfs is more about the story and immersion than thrill. It is also pretty short.

RNRC might be one you wish to skip for now. It is only 90 seconds long as I said, but it is more in the dark than Space Mtn. It is also one of the more intense rides at WDW. ToT might also be one you wish to sit out. Consider the chicken exit, or do something else while your partner rides both.

Skipping Mission:SPACE is no big loss. You can try the tame green side if you are curious. Other options are to use chicken exit, or just go around to the post-ride area and find a seat.

EE is among WDW's more intense rides. It might be fun to see the nearby animals while you wait.

Space Moutain is not all in the dark. It is also not a very intense coaster. Again it will help to sit up front. If you sit in the front, you should be able to see the track in front of you, or at least most of it.

Slinky, - you will be able to see (almost) the whole ride before you ride it. You can decide in the moment.
Dinosaur...well.. it is in need of an update, IMO. Not a big loss if you skip it. The queue is best part of the attraction. Outside the exit there are plenty of seats.

Soarin' - many ride whimps love Soarin'. If you can handle an IMAX movie, you can handle Soarin'.

Test Track is a lot of fun. Part of the fun is designing your own car, and seeing how it scores. If that is not your cup of tea though, you an easily wait in the post-ride area. Ask a cast member how to enter the post-ride area. In that area, you can see some new cars, take photos, explore the small gift shop, and play several interactive video games while you wait.

4. ONE more thought I had is that that if rides aren't your thing, you might enjoy searching for hidden Mickeys. It is a kind of scavenger hunt to find them. These are small representations of Mickey (often 3 circles together) hidden all over WDW. You can find much info online and there's even a guide book you can buy to that gives clues on where to hunt for them. You can also just keep an eye out all on your own once you know what you're trying to find. Here and there you will see one, and along the way you will probably catch many of the small little details that make WDW interesting.

5. See some of the many shows at WDW, and consider prioritizing all of the rest of the entertainment at WDW. Everything from flowers, gift shops, live musicians/performers, people watching, meeting other people, interactive water fountains, swimming pools, walking trails. (In Epcot, find the water fountains that are on the upper level of the Imagination building.)

Last edited:

Walt Disney1955

I know it seems ridiculous that I'm going to WDW and not be a rides person but I've always been scared of rides. I know my partner will want me to go on some of them (maybe not all of them). I am interested in the Star Wars and Pandora stuff. I will not do Tower of Terror.

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train - from watching the other ones, this one seems a bit lame?

The ones that seem the most intense are Expedition Everest and Rock N Rollercoaster.

You can avoid all of those rides and have a grand time still.

Pirates has a slight drop that lasts a second or two if that counts. But by the way, Soarin' you aren't moving. Dinosaur is more scary than fast and with Space Mountain you are going only 28mph but it appears you are going faster. I think you'll be fine on the ones I mentioned, but there is still lots to do if you aren't up for thrills. I'd say avoid Islands of Adventure if you don't want thrills, but not Disney.

Goofyernmost

As a further thought, once you eat overrated food at almost criminal prices you can then just watch other people have fun while you just sit there and occasionally burp. I guess I don't understand, unless there is a physical problem, why a lame ride isn't better than just looking at people pass by. You can do that on any downtown street for free.

jloucks

Nobody? Nobody going to say it?

Ok fine, I will.

Stop being a ninny and ride the rides! At least, most of them.

Mmmm, but, maybe not Rock N Rollercoaster, Expedition Everest, & Space Mountain. Those fall under the purview of actually being a little physically unpleasant (see banged around) and I get not wanting to get banged around if you are not also simultaneously being thrilled.

Last edited:

HouCuseChickie

While some of the attractions might seem lame, they may be good ways to get your feet wet and see how you feel. For example, if you're in MK...try Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and if you're good with it, you can graduate to Big Thunder. If Big Thunder seems good...you may want to try Everest. Everest is designed to make it feel more intense than it really is. Space Mountain is known for hurting people's backs so a lot of people skip it. I've never had an issue, but it's just something to be aware of. Still, if you're game for a darker ride, GotG Cosmic Rewind may be a good place to start. Rock n Rollercoaster is probably the most intense of all of them and it's become a real head banger. The launch at the beginning is really the most thrilling part of that one, and it's fast, so it's not like Tower of Terror where I find myself mentally begging them to end the ride. I only ride ToT if my younger one insists. We also found Slinky Dog to be more fun that it looks. Amazing- no, but worth a ride at least once.

Disstevefan1

So, if I understand correctly, it's not like you went on a ride and as a result got motion sickness?

You have a fear in your mind and not based on anything that happened to you?

Assuming your fear is not based on anything physical that happens to you, you must use your own mind to defeat this.

I remember my first ride on Space Mountain, I was an adult, mid 20s. I had to keep talking to myself -

Look at all these people, they have no problems.
Look at all the kids, they have no problems.
Thousands and thousands of people of all ages ride this with no problems.
This attraction runs all day, day after day, no problems.
And so on.

I did ride Space Mountain for the first time and countless times since then.
The thing I remember, my hands hurt when I got off as I was gripping the vehicle so tight without realizing it.

If you have no motion sickness issues YOU CAN DO THIS. Use the power of your mind.

Once you do it, the mystery is over. it gets easier and easier and before you know it, there is no fear.

You must at least try. If you don't try, you will never know either way.

MR.Dis

I had double by pass over 4 years ago, and still go to WDW 2 to 3 times a year. Doctor advised me to not go on any Roller Coaster rides. Of the rides you listed, Soarin is not a roller coaster and very enjoyable, highly recommend. The only other is Seven Dwarf Mine Train, does not go very fast and is just over one minute, so I will occasionally go on it. The thing is there is so much to do and see. I have been to WDW over 50 times and still finds new adventures.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom