How to get this home???

Todd L

P8020057.jpg

The Only thing my son wants this year is The Rifle from The Indiana Jones Show...Do we just check it as baggage for the flight home??

A dopey guy I work with was mad that Airport security wouldnt allow his kids to take them on the plane as carry on luggage and threw them all in the garbage ...He tends to stretch the truth so Im not really sure I belive him. So whats the best way to get these home??

Nemo14

If it's in your checked baggage it should be OK. For carry-ons I believe the rule is something to the effect of realistic-looking guns prohibited. To me, that's not very realistic, but I suppose it would be up to the TSA screener's discretion.

Upvote 0

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Check it it will be fine. Although they may open your bag to double check it's not real. Real firearms can be checked but they have to be checked a certain way.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
If it's in your checked baggage it should be OK. For carry-ons I believe the rule is something to the effect of realistic-looking guns prohibited. To me, that's not very realistic, but I suppose it would be up to the TSA screener's discretion.
I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that the TSA would not allow that as carry on especially considering that the they stopped a woman that had a gun decoration on her purse.

Your choices pretty much consist of checked luggage or shipping it home. Shipping will cost you, but it should be the way with the fewest chance of a problem. In any regard, I would contact your airline and ask them how to proceed.

Upvote 0

allgiggles

I remember reading a post a few months ago (not sure which Disney message board) by someone who bought one of those for their son. They got back to the hotel and it didn't fit in their checked baggage. Tried to take it as a carry-on but TSA wouldn't allow it. Fortunately, they had a family member at the airport with them who lived locally and they were able to take it back home with them and mail it to the family. The poster commented that price to ship it was more than the cost of the gun itself.

I would make sure it's going to fit in your checked luggage or just plan on having it shipped directly to your house.

Upvote 0

rsoxguy

It looks small enough to place within your checked baggage. I agree with Master Yoda. Call the airline to confirm their policy, and perish the thought of making this a part of your carry-on luggage.

Upvote 0

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Put in checked luggage, or just have it shipped home. You can usually ship your purchases home from the WDW stores, except for food they won't ship food because of possible spoilage.

Upvote 0

luv

Real guns can be checked, so I'm sure toy ones can be checked, too!

I googled "toy guns airport" and up pooped a bunch of stories of the TSA being all over taking toy guns away. It seems you might need to check it, lol.

If you haven't bought it yet, just have the cashier mail it to your house. :)

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

If you haven't bought it yet, just have the cashier mail it to your house. :)

Even if they have already bought it, you should be able to bring the item, along with the receipt to any store on property and they can ship it for you. They may need to cancel out the initial sale and redo the transaction, but they can add shipping at that point. You could also try having the desk ship it home, but you might be hard pressed to find a box that size on property. Having WDW ship it from the store means it's their problem to find the packaging and all.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

It's frustrating because theres doesn't seem to be any consistency sometimes to the TSA thoughts of what to allow or not allow. On one trip back I got held up because of my pin trading bag. They had to discuss if it would be allowed because of the "pins". Now how much damage can I do by threatening a pilot or airline personnel with a pin of that size? So I stood there while a supervisor had to be called over and they flipped through my bag and counted the number of pins. On another trip my son bought a set of keys on a huge iron key ring from POTC gift shop. This thing was a heavy metal ring which I doubted would get through because clearly I could have wielded that as a weapon. But no, they just let him pass through, not even taking a second glance.
So I would say... ship it... dont take a chance the TSA will take it away from your child and you have a very disappointed child.

Upvote 0
Years ago way before 9/11 I'm talking mid 1990's my Sister and I tried to carry on a plastic swords (you could tell they were fake play swords) and they wouldn't let us we had to go back to check in and get a box to put them in and check them. I'm pretty sure they won't let you carry on a toy gun or rifle. There is a federal express place in the Swan you could probably ship it home there or there is a small post office in the Orlando Airport don't know the extent of shipping out of there.

Upvote 0

DVC4bestvacations

Disney will ship it. A little pricey but then you won't have any hassle at the airport.

Any of the hotels that have a convention center will have an office center where you can have them ship even box them up for you. When my kids were younger and we were souvenir experts we used this service all of the time. It's cheaper than having the Disney shops do it for you.

Upvote 0

tare

Any of the hotels that have a convention center will have an office center where you can have them ship even box them up for you. When my kids were younger and we were souvenir experts we used this service all of the time. It's cheaper than having the Disney shops do it for you.
That's good info to remember!!!

Upvote 0

mrerk

Premium Member
That will definitely have to be in you checked baggage, no ifs, ands or buts. My son bought a walking stick at AK. Since it was too long to fit in the luggage we ended up driving to the UPS Store just outside Celebration and shipping it. Like someone else said it cost more to ship it home than it did to buy.

Upvote 0

WDW-LUVR

One year our son had to have one from the pirates of the Caribbean's and we let him carry it to the air port with him not thinking about it one bit. Going through security I still had my Mickey goggles on they say to me mam we need to check this because its a gun I'm like huh it's just from the poc attraction and I pull the trigger on it to show them it project a Jolly Roger out of the barrel. LOL yes laughed and said yes but because it is in a shape of a gun we just need to run it through a machine to be sure. And we were allowed to carry it on the plain.

Upvote 0

docdebbi

we also have carrier wooden guns through screening as carry-ons. as long as it doesn't look "realistic" it is officially allowed.
I have checked tsa website many times.
HOWEVER, what will ACTUALLY happen at screening is another issue. I think I am more familiar with the rules than some screeners. they decide what happens and won't budge. if you try it, and they argue, ask for a manager and pull up the tsa website on your cell phone.
that does not look realistic to me :confused:

Upvote 0

bsiev1977

View attachment 30483

The Only thing my son wants this year is The Rifle from The Indiana Jones Show...Do we just check it as baggage for the flight home??

A dopey guy I work with was mad that Airport security wouldnt allow his kids to take them on the plane as carry on luggage and threw them all in the garbage ...He tends to stretch the truth so Im not really sure I belive him. So whats the best way to get these home??

Not worth the possible bother to try to carry it on the plane. Like others said, shipping it home will cost more but will cause you less hassle. If you check it, and it shows up on a scan, the TSA will go through your checked bag and the toy gun may or may not be in the bag when you get home.

Upvote 0

Todd L

Original Poster
I dont think Ill even put it in a bag..Ill just put a baggage claim ticket on the rifle and check it at the counter.....Uggggghhhhh. Why dont they sell these at The Disney Stores?? It would be So much Easier!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom