How surprised would people be if ABC went outside it's comfort zone and made a Battlestar Galactica style TV show set in space?

CmdrShepN7

Original Poster
Young rich people are a big part of ABC's demographic.
https://variety.com/2013/tv/ratings/abc-leads-premiere-week-in-affluent-younger-viewers-1200688724/

ABC is the home of action shows like Quantico and soap operas. ABC has done sci fi in the form of Agents of Shield.

How would ABC's demographic react if they did something really crazy such as make a space opera that would be planned to only run one season just to see how their viewers would react? It would have epic space battles and the lovable spaceship crew but also have soap opera elements and romance. There would also be political intrigue like in Quantico and Disney would provide funding for the CGI space battles, spaceships, spacestations, and aliens.

How much of the sci fi would have to be toned down to make it watchable for the mainstream?

I imagine ABC's demographic wouldn't be fond of HBO style violence and sexuality.

Would it be optimistic like Star Trek or gritty like BSG?

Would it be a toned down version of The Expanse or more like Mass Effect?

Would there be aliens or would it have to be only humans so people won't be put off by ridiculous looking aliens?

What would the universe be like? Is it far into the future and humanity is part of an vast intergalactic community with the hub of all politics and trade being this big fancy space station and our show is about a group of people on this station?

Would it be about one spaceship trying to find a new home for humanity?

seascape

Young rich people are a big part of ABC's demographic.
https://variety.com/2013/tv/ratings/abc-leads-premiere-week-in-affluent-younger-viewers-1200688724/

ABC is the home of action shows like Quantico and soap operas. ABC has done sci fi in the form of Agents of Shield.

How would ABC's demographic react if they did something really crazy such as make a space opera that would be planned to only run one season just to see how their viewers would react? It would have epic space battles and the lovable spaceship crew but also have soap opera elements and romance. There would also be political intrigue like in Quantico and Disney would provide funding for the CGI space battles, spaceships, spacestations, and aliens.

How much of the sci fi would have to be toned down to make it watchable for the mainstream?

I imagine ABC's demographic wouldn't be fond of HBO style violence and sexuality.

Would it be optimistic like Star Trek or gritty like BSG?

Would it be a toned down version of The Expanse or more like Mass Effect?

Would there be aliens or would it have to be only humans so people won't be put off by ridiculous looking aliens?

What would the universe be like? Is it far into the future and humanity is part of an vast intergalactic community with the hub of all politics and trade being this big fancy space station and our show is about a group of people on this station?

Would it be about one spaceship trying to find a new home for humanity?

Disney already owns a space show that competes with Star Trek, The Orville. I know this one looks different and only deals with Humans at first but I am sure that will change. I would rather they expand on Orville.

CmdrShepN7

Original Poster
Disney already owns a space show that competes with Star Trek, The Orville. I know this one looks different and only deals with Humans at first but I am sure that will change. I would rather they expand on Orville.

But I would prefer power armor than brightly colored jumpsuits.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom