How scrictly is the "before 8am departure" rule enforced regarding Baggage Check-in?

iubigman

Original Poster
So yesterday we got a notification that are 8:05am flight home from Orlando has been changed to 7:55am. No big deal of course, what's 10 minutes.

However, as we all know, the printed rules for Magical Express state that if your flight is before 8am, you can't utilize the resort baggage check in and have to schlep your checked bags with you on the bus, and then schlep them to the counter at MCO.

Do we have any chance of getting them to bend this rule because it's 5 minutes?

dreamfinder

It's not so much MDE I don't think as it is the RAC desk. If they aren't operating and ready to take your luggage, then you have no choice. When I've seen those guys at open/close they seem to open right on the dot, and are packing up before it's closing time so they can close right on the dot.

dreamfinder

But you would drop your bags the night before anyway, right? If you had an exact 8am flight?

Pretty sure they wouldn't take your luggage. Quoting from the RAC page

Walt Disney World Resort Guests must present a valid government-issued I.D. for domestic travel or a valid passport for international travel. In addition, Guests must check in no later than 3 hours prior to their scheduled flight departure. (Flight delays do not extend this check-in time.) All Guests must be present at check-in.

Resort Airline Check-In is open 7 days a week from 5:00 AM to 12:00 noon. If you are unable to check in during these hours, you will need to do so at your airline’s check-in counter at Orlando International Airport prior to your flight.

And I wouldn't want my luggage being dropped off that early anyways. If any earlier flight has space to hold your bags, there is a good chance they will send it, rather than risk being too full later on. Then your luggage rides around the carousel and you hope someone takes it to the luggage claim area.

iubigman

Original Poster
We actually MIGHT want to drop our bags the day before, we have one large enough carry on.

Regardless, this all makes more sense now..Thanks!

HurricaneHanna

When I was checking out of the Yacht Club last month, a man in front of me at the Resort Airline Check In was arguing this exact same point. (In his case I believe it was a 10 minute difference, meaning his flight was scheduled to take off at 7:50 am. He was quite upset and offering cash tips but the Skycap told him he just could not accept the luggage. He said it's a TSP regulation with no flexibility.

Disneyfreak Jen

I found myself in the exact same situation last year. ME couldn't guarantee my bags would make the flight, but the cast member at luggage drop at my hotel gave me his word that he would make sure they made it. They did make the flight, but in hindsight I would probably take care of my own bags next time and just not do ME.

cdeev8690

I was in the same boat during my last visit. It's easy to feel spoiled when you are able to use DME bag check but chances are if you're flying that early anyway, you're not looking at much of a wait at the airport bag check, if any wait at all. The worst part is getting to the lobby at 4 in the morning for the bus.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom