How quickly do runDisney events sell out?

Mgn240

Original Poster
For the past month or so I've been seriously thinking about doing the Wine and Dine 10K. I'm not in the best shape right now but I like having something to work towards and think the 10K is a good goal to have (plus there's a reasonable amount of time to train for it). The 10K feels like a happy medium for my first runDisney event- traveling to Disney for a 5K seems like a lot for such a short race, and the half-marathon just isn't realistic for me right now.

I notice the Wine and Dine event registration opens in a few weeks. Do these tend to sell out right away? I would like to hold off on registering a little bit if I can in the event I change my mind, but at the same time I do not want to be planning on this/working towards it, only to find the event is sold out.

I'm not familiar with anything runDisney so this is all new to me. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
A certain percentage of the 10K bibs are set aside for those running in the challenge events, so they are usually the first to sell out. There's a thread on this forum that @dreamfinder maintains which shows when the races for each year's events sold out.

Here's the link:

dreamfinder

As @LAKid53 mentioned, any event that has a challenge race, the shorter distances tend to sell out. 5k & 10k also tend to attract alot of family of people doing the long race as well. You also get people who want to do a runDisney event, but not the long ones.

My thread isn't completely up to date (need to do that) but the 5k/10k often sell out within a day or two of going up for sale. If you think you will do the event, then register the day it goes live. And as close to the go live time as possible. If you wait, you may miss out and need to end up booking via a travel agent or run for a charity.

Mgn240

Original Poster
Thank you both for the feedback. Looks like I'll try to make a decision before the on-sale date and, if I'm sure I want to do it, plan on buying the day they are available. Of course my hesitancy with buying so far out is that I will change my mind, but at the same time I wouldn't want to wait and miss out.

My other concern right now is spending the money for both the registration and the first night's deposit for lodging (not that it's a ton, but it's more than I want to be putting out for a trip 8 months away). Obviously I have time but the values/moderates seem to be booking up quickly and for a short weekend trip, that's all I really need. As of now it looks like Pop and AoA LM rooms are sold out, Music isn't coming up (I'm guessing due to construction?), CB only has pirate rooms, and Movies is showing preferred rooms only. I don't want to wait too long and be limited to deluxe/villas, but on the other hand, if I worry about the hotel and miss the registration, there's no point in the trip at all! 😜

LAKid53

Premium Member
Thank you both for the feedback. Looks like I'll try to make a decision before the on-sale date and, if I'm sure I want to do it, plan on buying the day they are available. Of course my hesitancy with buying so far out is that I will change my mind, but at the same time I wouldn't want to wait and miss out.

My other concern right now is spending the money for both the registration and the first night's deposit for lodging (not that it's a ton, but it's more than I want to be putting out for a trip 8 months away). Obviously I have time but the values/moderates seem to be booking up quickly and for a short weekend trip, that's all I really need. As of now it looks like Pop and AoA LM rooms are sold out, Music isn't coming up (I'm guessing due to construction?), CB only has pirate rooms, and Movies is showing preferred rooms only. I don't want to wait too long and be limited to deluxe/villas, but on the other hand, if I worry about the hotel and miss the registration, there's no point in the trip at all! 😜

Part of that is due to the race being the 2nd to last weekend of F&W. But don't wait too long to make your resort reservation.

If you're an AP, early registration opens the Thursday before general registration.

Mgn240

Original Poster
Part of that is due to the race being the 2nd to last weekend of F&W. But don't wait too long to make your resort reservation.

If you're an AP, early registration opens the Thursday before general registration.

I am not an AP or DVC member.

I'll book lodging within the next day or two. Probably going to do Sports, just because of price (and the theming seems appropriate for a runDisney trip). Seeing that Galaxy's Edge may be opening sooner than expected has me paranoid about resort availability! I was originally thinking about being along the Skyliner route but the only options are the Cars rooms at AoA or pirate at CB.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Have you considered either POR, POFQ or CS? Staying at a resort on the Skyliner route has no advantages for the race. I'd want somewhere I could get a decent nights sleep the night before....and All Stars wouldn't be a place I'd choose.

Mgn240

Original Poster
Have you considered either POR, POFQ or CS? Staying at a resort on the Skyliner route has no advantages for the race. I'd want somewhere I could get a decent nights sleep the night before....and All Stars wouldn't be a place I'd choose.

I have looked at them. All-Stars are $135 S/$153 P, the cheapest moderate is POFQ which is $255. With a $120 difference per night, I can get 2 nights at an All-Star for a little more than the price of one at a moderate. I know the Skyliner route has no advantage for the race, but I figured it would be cool to be along the route for the novelty.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I have looked at them. All-Stars are $135 S/$153 P, the cheapest moderate is POFQ which is $255. With a $120 difference per night, I can get 2 nights at an All-Star for a little more than the price of one at a moderate. I know the Skyliner route has no advantage for the race, but I figured it would be cool to be along the route for the novelty.

That's quite a difference.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Have you looked at either the Swan or Dolphin? They both have the shuttles to/from both the Expo and races. I understand their prices are reasonable.

Mgn240

Original Poster
Have you looked at either the Swan or Dolphin? They both have the shuttles to/from both the Expo and races. I understand their prices are reasonable.

I did look at them- I'm a platinum Marriott member and stayed at Dolphin once before and thought it was a good value. Dolphin is $227 and Swan is $293. Factoring in the $30 resort fee they charge, Dolphin is pretty much the same as POFQ (plus the cost of the trip to/from the airport).

LAKid53

Premium Member
I did look at them- I'm a platinum Marriott member and stayed at Dolphin once before and thought it was a good value. Dolphin is $227 and Swan is $293. Factoring in the $30 resort fee they charge, Dolphin is pretty much the same as POFQ (plus the cost of the trip to/from the airport).

Looks like it will be an All Stars....

LAKid53

Premium Member
I'd think that title still rests with Princess. Yes, W&D seems to usually hold it's own, but Princess is still tops.

Which wasn't completely sold out this year. I believe the Half was still open the morning of.

Mgn240

Original Poster
Just went ahead and booked Sports for Wine and Dine weekend. I wanted to be sure I had a reservation, in case tomorrow's Galaxy's Edge announcement confirms the rumors of a September/October opening and people start booking trips for the fall.

Figment82

This year is also the 10th anniversary, and I know special milestone years tend to bring out extra interest. I wouldn’t wait too long to register - I think you made a wise decision booking your room now.

Mgn240

Original Poster
This year is also the 10th anniversary, and I know special milestone years tend to bring out extra interest. I wouldn’t wait too long to register - I think you made a wise decision booking your room now.

Thank you for letting me know about the anniversary- I did not realize that. I think at this point I'm planning on just buying at the onsale date/time, don't want to wait too long and miss it.

In the two days since I've booked my reservation, Movies and POFQ have both sold out, AoA only has a few suites left (you cannot chose the theme ahead of time, specific theme choices are sold out), and POR just has royal guest rooms (garden view only). Seeing the change in less than 48 hours definitely makes me feel better about already having a reservation :)

LAKid53

Premium Member
Thank you for letting me know about the anniversary- I did not realize that. I think at this point I'm planning on just buying at the onsale date/time, don't want to wait too long and miss it.

In the two days since I've booked my reservation, Movies and POFQ have both sold out, AoA only has a few suites left (you cannot chose the theme ahead of time), and POR just has royal guest rooms (garden view only). Seeing the change in less than 48 hours definitely makes me feel better about already having a reservation :)

Once the announcement went out about GE opening date, people probably booked in hope of the Half running through it. I expect this year's may sell out fast because of that. Thank god I've got AP/DVC early registration access next Thursday.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom