How Park Exploring Has Changed, Could we Get one Old School Day?

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
I was just thinking of how visiting the parks has changed over the years from when I was a kid to now. I understand sometimes you remember things differently, but back in the day, you were handed a map at the turnstile that would tell you where you could find the rides and maybe what time the parades and shows were at. Then you went exploring. That later morphed into getting into the park and dashing to the fast pass kiosks(which was both fun and stressful) to now coming into the park, already knowing what time you are riding this ride, and what time you are eating at that restaurant. I won't say it's worse or better, just that now I feel like instead of a nice meandering visit to a park, it's much more about going from point A to point B, maximum use of time, make your deadline(fastpass) and dinner reservations.
Now I know not everybody is like that, it is more how I am wired, and some people will always be the meandering type, but man, I sometimes think it would be cool if Disney would make certain days, like maybe Tuesdays twice a month a no reservations and fastpasses day. Would it cause total chaos, or just be kinda chill?

KBLovedDisney

I was just thinking of how visiting the parks has changed over the years from when I was a kid to now. I understand sometimes you remember things differently, but back in the day, you were handed a map at the turnstile that would tell you where you could find the rides and maybe what time the parades and shows were at. Then you went exploring. That later morphed into getting into the park and dashing to the fast pass kiosks(which was both fun and stressful) to now coming into the park, already knowing what time you are riding this ride, and what time you are eating at that restaurant. I won't say it's worse or better, just that now I feel like instead of a nice meandering visit to a park, it's much more about going from point A to point B, maximum use of time, make your deadline(fastpass) and dinner reservations.
Now I know not everybody is like that, it is more how I am wired, and some people will always be the meandering type, but man, I sometimes think it would be cool if Disney would make certain days, like maybe Tuesdays twice a month a no reservations and fastpasses day. Would it cause total chaos, or just be kinda chill?
🤔I'd honestly like to see that.

mariedarling

It would be nice but i don't think it would work out well. I think that's why there are After/Early Magic Hours ticketed events. Less people, no fastpasses.

I did one last year in January 2018 it was awesome we rode a lot of rides multiple times but it was 45 degrees out. It was really nice being in the park with no huge crowds.

Schneewittchen

You should go to Disneyland. For whatever reason, it's a lot like amusements parks used to be.

It's probably some combination of more local visitors, less exclusive experiences, minimal fastpasses, lots of rides... it's so strange to not run from appointment to appointment. A lot less freaking out over meeting characters is a nice thing too.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
You should go to Disneyland. For whatever reason, it's a lot like amusements parks used to be.

It's probably some combination of more local visitors, less exclusive experiences, minimal fastpasses, lots of rides... it's so strange to not run from appointment to appointment. A lot less freaking out over meeting characters is a nice thing too.
I actually have been there twice more recently as opposed to WDW which I am way closer to. You are right, since many rides don't have fastpasses you don't have the same stress level, and dining is not as big an issue(probably because there are great options right outside the park). I went to Shanghai, and it was similar(though that might be because I could not get ANY fastpasses as my phone did not work there and it was the only way to book them!

Heppenheimer

It wasn't quite so simple back in the day. There used to be something known as the "Space Mountain Marathon", where the biggest crowds would immediately stampede to what was the premier attraction at the time (those "in-the-know" would cut through Tomorrowland Terrace for the short-cut). Also, because the capacity at the Diamond Horseshoe was so small, if you wanted a table for the show, you needed to immediately stand in line at customer service as soon as you entered the park (my mom and dad were big fans... us kids, less so...). I also remember needing to wait in a long line immediately after the park opened if you wanted a family picture taken at that old fashioned Main Street photographer's shop.

Walt Disney1955

When we went last I had a family member - and I am not be-grudging this person by any means - who was constantly flipping on his phone to see the minutes for the line ups. I did things more naturally. If the line up for a major ride was 60 minutes, we would shelf it for later. If it was 30 we got on. We did almost everything at Magic Kingdom save for a couple of things in Tomorrowland and we couldn't get on Peter Pan's Flight or the Mine Train. That was the problem, there is TOO much structure nowadays with things. I don't even own a cell phone, so I went more by the seat of my pants. Even with long lines there are always ebbs and flows. 45 minutes might be 30 minutes 5 minutes later or vice versa. Why? Because lots of other people are obsessed with their phones and checking the times. I say just relax and plan less and you'll get more. If Jungle Cruise is a little too long, come back in 45 minutes. Ride Aladdin, see the Tiki Birds or go on Pirates in the mean time. They are all right there. Yeah, we do a fastpass for the big stuff if we can, but we don't obsess over it. Sometimes I think fastpass makes things worse.

I agree about Disneyland. Part of that is there are more locals there just for a partial day or because they had a half day off of work. They are chilling more or less. Plus, there are far more attractions in there than at the Magic Kingdom.

One tried and true formula that to this day never fails because we did it in 2018 at Islands of Adventure is getting to the park right around opening time and walking to the back of the park and doing that stuff at the back first and working your way forward. We rode King Kong within 5 minutes, Spiderman was almost a walk on, so was Jurassic Adventure and Harry Potter was 5 minutes. Then we worked our way to the front by doing Dr. Seuss and Marvel and then Toon Lagoon and such. Next thing you know it is 2pm and we have basically done everything. So you know what? We rode a lot of the great rides again and left by 5:30 just a half hour before it closed (Halloween haunt that night).

All I am saying is that "old school" can still be done and still be THE most effective way of doing things.

Dave B

"We did almost everything at Magic Kingdom save for a couple of things in Tomorrowland and we couldn't get on Peter Pan's Flight or the Mine Train It can still be done," but by your own words, you missed out on the best rides, yes you got on the Mountain rides it sounds, I could do old school every time if I wanted to ride the carousel and Its a small world and the Philarmagic all day

Raineman

"Throwback Thursday" at WDW. I like the idea in theory, but I'm sure it would come with an increased park ticket cost-unless they threw back the prices, too, which I doubt.

JIMINYCR

I think with the crowds WDW is experiencing now and more coming, you can still do an unplanned day, buuut your chances of getting to do all that you once could do in a days time is very undoable.

Disstevefan1

I would love to see that tested. To make the test valid they must eliminate all fast passes for all parks for that day. The test must be announced say 70 days in advance so people planning their vacation know it's happening.

aliceismad

When we went last I had a family member - and I am not be-grudging this person by any means - who was constantly flipping on his phone to see the minutes for the line ups. I did things more naturally. If the line up for a major ride was 60 minutes, we would shelf it for later. If it was 30 we got on. We did almost everything at Magic Kingdom save for a couple of things in Tomorrowland and we couldn't get on Peter Pan's Flight or the Mine Train. That was the problem, there is TOO much structure nowadays with things. I don't even own a cell phone, so I went more by the seat of my pants. Even with long lines there are always ebbs and flows. 45 minutes might be 30 minutes 5 minutes later or vice versa. Why? Because lots of other people are obsessed with their phones and checking the times. I say just relax and plan less and you'll get more. If Jungle Cruise is a little too long, come back in 45 minutes. Ride Aladdin, see the Tiki Birds or go on Pirates in the mean time. They are all right there. Yeah, we do a fastpass for the big stuff if we can, but we don't obsess over it. Sometimes I think fastpass makes things worse.
But why bother walking to/by attractions to see the wait times if you can open your phone and see the same thing? You can use the same approach of "30 minutes, go; 60 minutes, wait" while also using technology.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I think it's all in the approach and the specific situation. For AP holders - we're spoiled to the extent that if you go frequently enough, there is no pressure (rush) for anything - unless you want there to be.

I've done trips exclusively for 1 park. Don't do it too often, but it does happen. Example: I've had a three night trip at the Contemp with the sole purpose of visiting the MK for 4 days . Those 4 days give me 12 FP plus the additional ones I can obtain after I use the initial 3 - and can take advantage of hitting some rides with minimal waits (i.e. Wedway, CoP, Tiki, CBJ).

That type of trip gets me on every ride I want to go on (in many cases multiple times) and I pretty much hit every ride that interests me. I can eat at multiple locations around the MK, partake in multiple M&G's or head over to Contemporary, Poly, GF or WL for drinks, dinner, character meals, or just to hang out and do some shopping.

The fact I'll go back in 3-4 weeks minimizes the blow of not visiting EPCOT, DHS, AK - because I'll get there on the next trip or the one after.

But when I leave after one of those trips, I feel like I've done everything there is to do (or at least that interests me), have done it at my own pace, and wasn't stressed about it at all.

Now, there are other times I'll go for 4 or 5 nights, hit every park, do HDD at FW, pop over to Universal, then back to DS, resort hop a bit, and be an utter mess. There's good to be said about that too.

Walt Disney1955

But why bother walking to/by attractions to see the wait times if you can open your phone and see the same thing? You can use the same approach of "30 minutes, go; 60 minutes, wait" while also using technology.

Because it can throw you off. If everyone is doing it than everyone is going to hit Peter Pan at the same time and by the time you get there the line is full again. It is better to let things go naturally. Plus, you are at Disney World, there has to be one day where you can just go with the flow and not be addicted to your phone. You enjoy things better naturally.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom