How "Non-Fans" View Theme Parks

Rich T

Original Poster
This references Universal Orlando, but it applies to the public's view of Disney parks as well, and it kind of reflects comments I hear from non-park fans all the time when a park announces something new. This particular one just seems to sum it all up.

So, a non-park website posted an article about the upcoming "Hagrid's Stupidly-Named Motorbike Coaster" at IoA, along with the publicity art.

And immediately Joe Public comments with this (quickly followed by the best response anyone could possibly give):

I just find it funny how often I hear comments like this from co-workers, friends and the public in general-- The goofy idea that a major theme park owner would knowingly open a ride that could possibly hurt people. I had one co-worker who had this weird conspiracy-theory thing going where he was convinced that a certain major park suffered one guest casualty every day and somehow paid off all witnesses and family members to keep quiet about it. NOTHING I could say, no logic I could present, could change his mind. It was the weirdest conversation I've ever had. He seemed fairly sane in every other respect, but this matter just seemed to be the proverbial missing ice-tray cube.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
NOTHING I could say, no logic I could present, could change his mind. It was the weirdest conversation I've ever had. He seemed fairly sane in every other respect, but this matter just seemed to be the proverbial missing tray cube.
Something I learned long ago was you can not use logic and reason to change a person's opinion when they did not use logic reason to come to said opinion in the first place. The sad reality is that in many cases the only thing that will replace a conspiracy theory is another conspiracy theory.

jet_fuel.png

SuddenStorm

Here's one of my favorite blog posts.... discusses the different ways people view and experience theme parks. It's always interesting to me to try and place myself in one of these categories, but to also look at how others view and discuss Disneyland online and see which category they place in- changes how I respond/interact with the person. Also helps demonstrate how amazingly complex the Disney theme parks are, and why the fandom is so diverse, and why they're as popular as they are.

PiratesMansion

Years ago, a non-fan asked me if Big Thunder Mt. went upside down.
Last year, she asked me how to spell orange.

But seriously, in my experience non-fans see all parks as basically the same, and over the years, I've run into an increasing number of people whose expectations for Disney parks is Six Flags with Disney characters. There is no concept that theme parks can be anything more than a random collection of rides.

I find ride safety to largely fall into two extremes; either it's "I can do whatever I want and be totally fine cuz it's just a ride and nothing will happen," or it's "OMG the coaster train almost flew of the track and I almost died guyz." Rational thought seldom enters the equation.

Rich T

Original Poster
Here's one of my favorite blog posts.... discusses the different ways people view and experience theme parks. It's always interesting to me to try and place myself in one of these categories, but to also look at how others view and discuss Disneyland online and see which category they place in- changes how I respond/interact with the person. Also helps demonstrate how amazingly complex the Disney theme parks are, and why the fandom is so diverse, and why they're as popular as they are.

I've loved that web site for a while now. One of the best-written and researched Disney blogs anywhere--and a must-read for park music fans.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
and how many of us still can not muster the courage to raise their hands on that ride?

giphy.gif
Reminds me of this story from my favorite book...

“You still think I’ve gone cracked in the head,” Ben said, amused. “Listen, if tomorrow we pulled into Biren and someone told you there were shamble-men in the woods, would you believe them?” My father shook his head. “What if two people told you?” Another shake.
Ben leaned forward on his stump. “What if a dozen people told you, with perfect earnestness, that shamble-men were out in the fields, eating—”
“Of course I wouldn’t believe them,” my father said, irritated. “It’s ridiculous.”
“Of course it is,” Ben agreed, raising a finger. “But the real question is this: Would you go into the woods?”

Excerpt From
The Name of the Wind
Patrick Rothfuss
This material may be protected by copyright.

socalifornian

Never related to an article as much as this

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom