How Necessary are (Non-Character) Breakfast Reservations?

Coaster Lover

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
So, my wife and I have been to Disney a couple times before (and I with my family many times before that). When my wife and I went, we frequently made very early breakfast reservations (7:30 or so) and just took a cab to get there on time in the morning.

This August, we are taking our kids for the first time (ages 6, 3, and 1.5 at the time of travel) and are debating what to do about breakfast reservations. Because of Florida laws regarding kids needing to be in car seats in a Taxi and figuring it would be quite a hassle to get a Taxi that would already have three car seats, I'm pretty sure Taxis will not be an option. We really do not want to rent a car because we feel the only reason we'd use it is just for a few breakfasts and that's just not worth the extra cost for us, which leaves us to rely on the buses to get us to breakfast.

I know the buses start running 60-90 minutes before park openings, but I also know that any breakfast we do at a resort is going to require using one of the parks as a hub. As such, our intention is to plan as many breakfasts as possible either at the parks (Akershus) or very near a park (Chef Mickey's) and for any character breakfast we will absolutely make a reservation.

But I need my Boma breakfast fix and I really want to get to Kona. I want to get to those as early as possible, but with the necessity to use Disney transport, my concern would be missing a reservation that might be too early. So my question is, if we take Disney transportation and just hop on the earliest buses possible, would we be able to get into places like Kona, Boma, or Grand Floridian Cafe at around 8:00-8:30 am without a reservation in early August (with minimal wait)?

Alternatively, does Disney offer any sort of solution to this issue that I might not be aware of (some flexibility in reservations? Some unadvertised transport method between resorts? If I make a 9 am reservation (to be safe) but show up at 8:15, would they sit us early (assuming there is already an open space) or make us wait until our reservation time? etc)

Last edited:

Schneewittchen

I can't speak to August or the restaurants you're asking about, but with my family during Easter week (very, very busy), we've never had trouble walking up our resort's restaurant for breakfast - Trail's End breakfast buffet at Ft. Wilderness. At most we've had to wait 5 minutes.

dreamfinder

Getting to a resort at that time will be pretty hard. Yes, buses will be running to get to parks for early AM meals starting at 6:30ish, but getting a bus back to a resort will be tough, as most are doing drop off only. They will usually just go to the first open stop, and not go to a stop for a particular resort. I know once my wife went with me just to see the MK opening show, and then had to wait an hour at the bus stop before a CM asked her where she needed to go and then re-routed a bus to take her back.

Boma you should be ok, we frequently stay at AKL and I've never seen it full for breakfast. Kona might be tougher, but Kona will be easier for you to get to. Kona you can take the MK bus, and then monorail/boat launch to get to Poly. They will often seat you early if they have space, but I wouldn't count on them having space as it's popular and fairly easy to get to.

PrincessL

I believe uberFAMILY is now available in Orlando may be worth looking into and more dependable than Disney transportation for early ADRs.

Coaster Lover

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I believe uberFAMILY is now available in Orlando may be worth looking into and more dependable than Disney transportation for early ADRs.

From what I read, UberFamily would only have one car seat (for a child 2-6) per car. Given we have three kids, that would mean we would need three cars (and that's not even factoring that my youngest may be too small to be safely put in such a car seat at the time of travel)

21stamps

What about just bringing your own car seats and using Uber? Florida (unfortunately) is very lax on child restraint laws. They don't even require a booster past age 5. This drives me nuts, but if you're only traveling on property and want to only bring the younger kid's car seats you would be legally allowed to do so.

PrincessL

From what I read, UberFamily would only have one car seat (for a child 2-6) per car. Given we have three kids, that would mean we would need three cars (and that's not even factoring that my youngest may be too small to be safely put in such a car seat at the time of travel)
Oh bummer! I didn't know they only had one car seat.

Well, when we stayed at AoA we had a morning ADR reservation at CM and I called ahead and the assured me over the phone that they would have bus service early enough for it. We were going to take bus to MK and walk. When we arrived I asked at check-in what time the bus started running for early ADRs and was told they only operate 1 hr. Before park opening. When I referenced my phone call I had they had no dea what I was talking about and then gave me info for a taxi and Mears. Even with using your own car seats, what are you supposed to do with them once you get to your restaurant?!? Thankfully, in our case my parents had rented a car so we just took multiple rides over there. Otherwise we would have just been out of luck I guess. So...my point is that I would not rely on Disney transport and you may get different answers depending on who you talk to. But idk what the answer is in your case. Sorry!

21stamps

Well, when we stayed at AoA we had a morning ADR reservation at CM and I called ahead and the assured me over the phone that they would have bus service early enough for it. We were going to take bus to MK and walk. When we arrived I asked at check-in what time the bus started running for early ADRs and was told they only operate 1 hr. Before park opening. When I referenced my phone call I had they had no dea what I was talking about and then gave me info for a taxi and Mears. Even with using your own car seats, what are you supposed to do with them once you get to your restaurant?!? Thankfully, in our case my parents had rented a car so we just took multiple rides over there. Otherwise we would have just been out of luck I guess. So...my point is that I would not rely on Disney transport and you may get different answers depending on who you talk to. But idk what the answer is in your case. Sorry!
Any restaurant at a resort would be able to hold the car seats at the front desk.

21stamps

Good to know! Now I'm just imagining lugging in 2 high back boosters and a convertible car seat along with our 3 kids...lol!
Lol. I'm not saying it's fun. But I always traveled with my own car seat, and then booster. How old are your kids? If they're in a booster then Florida law probably doesn't require it. 5 is the law. I made the decision not to bring it this past time bc we never left Disney property.

PrincessL

Lol. I'm not saying it's fun. But I always traveled with my own car seat, and then booster. How old are your kids? If they're in a booster then Florida law probably doesn't require it. 5 is the law. I made the decision not to bring it this past time bc we never left Disney property.
6,4 &2 could get away by Florida law I guess. My best friend is a PT at a children's hospital and has scared me to death though! We drove last time and will be again for our upcoming trip so a non issue for us.

But, I feel like one of the selling points of staying on property is the inner Disney transportation and one of the ways they get you to stay in their bubble. I would think they could make it more convenient to have an early ADR. We are not the only ones that have had this issue. As I said before their call center thinks that they do have a solution in place;)

jaklgreen

Either rent your own car or go to breakfast later and use the busses. If you have never been to WDW with kids, then I will tell you that it will take you 10 times longer to get anywhere(especially with 3 little ones). Plus you don't know what time the kids would be waking up in the morning to make such early reservations. The last thing you want to do is wake up a tired toddler and drag them around the parks all day.

dreamfinder

Buses start running at or before 6:30 in the AM. Most CMs will tell you 1hr before opening, but
a) I have seen buses for all 4 theme parks running at 6:30ish in the morning while out for a morning run
b) I have arrived at MK more than an hour before it opened using Disney transport numerous times (8:00 AM PPO reservations on a 9AM rope drop day)
so they gave you incorrect information.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom