How much Longer on Copper Creek?

tractorm3

Original Poster
My wife and I are set on buying in to DVC. We did the tour, asked our questions etc. But we would like to buy into copper creek as our "home Resort". not sure how much longer they are going to be selling it with riviera now taking orders. We are unable to buy right now because we are trying to buy a house first. (next few months)

Club Cooloholic

My wife and I are set on buying in to DVC. We did the tour, asked our questions etc. But we would like to buy into copper creek as our "home Resort". not sure how much longer they are going to be selling it with riviera now taking orders. We are unable to buy right now because we are trying to buy a house first. (next few months)
Like @Sirwalterraleigh said. Get the house. DVC is a total splurge. I don't know if you plan to follow the house up with children at some point, but they are expensive too, why weigh yourself down with a purchase like this. If you absolutely must buy in, get a resale contract at Copper Creek (or and even cheaper one elsewhere, and just try booking odd times at CC at the 7 month mark). If you buy say 125 to 160 points, you will literally save thousands of dollars buying resale. You just have to be patient during the process, but once it's over you have your DVC. Now, you don't get all the perks, but so what. The parties and all cost money, and are few and far between, instead, just spend some of that cash you saved on a public party and do it when YOU want.
Again, this is all if you have some extra spending money laying around, but I would buy the house first and see where your finances are in a year after that.

Lensman

Polynesian
Original Declaration January 7, 2015
First Amendment January 7, 2016
Second Amendment October 21, 2016
Third Amendment March 13, 2017
Fourth Amendment June 2, 2017
Fifth (last) Amendment August 1, 2017
Sold out: ~Feb 2018

Copper Creek
Fully declared: March 13, 2019

From this you'd think that you have at least six months from a DVC resort being fully declared to it being sold out - so at least until September 2019 for Copper Creek. Note that you can still buy a resort after it is sold out, you just don't get any of the bonuses or incentives, and you may have to wait a while before the use year you want is available.

I wanted to answer your question before launching into unsolicited advice like everyone else. :)

I wouldn't rush into purchasing DVC direct. Ask questions here and on other boards to get insights from current owners, etc. Have you rented points from another owner or a point rental site to try out the resort? That's often a great way of verifying how much you like DVC. Also, it's currently the case that renting points is a better deal than buying DVC direct. There are arguments that this is always the case, but I'll leave it at that.

Added note: And as @Sirwalterraleigh reminds me, buying resale is always the more rational choice.

Note: I have no skin in the game but I do try to provide people advice based on the constraints and desires they've expressed rather than what I think would be better for them. It's your money. (But definitely buy the house first, and you might wait until you know all the additional expenses that a house will bring... and even then make sure you have an emergency fund for things that go wrong. We had to put in a new central AC because ours broke the day we moved into the house. It was terrible. My wife was in tears.)

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Polynesian
Original Declaration January 7, 2015
First Amendment January 7, 2016
Second Amendment October 21, 2016
Third Amendment March 13, 2017
Fourth Amendment June 2, 2017
Fifth (last) Amendment August 1, 2017
Sold out: ~Feb 2018

Copper Creek
Fully declared: March 13, 2019

From this you'd think that you have at least six months from a DVC resort being fully declared to it being sold out - so at least until September 2019 for Copper Creek. Note that you can still buy a resort after it is sold out, you just don't get any of the bonuses or incentives, and you may have to wait a while before the use year you want is available.

I wanted to answer your question before launching into unsolicited advice like everyone else. :)

I wouldn't rush into purchasing DVC direct. Ask questions here and on other boards to get insights from current owners, etc. Have you rented points from another owner or a point rental site to try out the resort? That's often a great way of verifying how much you like DVC. Also, it's currently the case that renting points is a better deal than buying DVC direct. There are arguments that this is always the case, but I'll leave it at that.

What’s your commission on the sale??

(I kid...I kid...)

tractorm3

Original Poster
Yea, i suppose all of you are right and trust me the house is going to be first and foremost. We did fall further in love with the idea when we took the tour and it was well worth the time to do it. very well presented and the sales person we had was def expertly trained for the best. He took every concern we had and turned it into a benefit of the DVC. We have stayed in DVC rooms the past few trips and feel we are educated enough that its worth it for us

Note that you can still buy a resort after it is sold out, you just don't get any of the bonuses or incentives, and you may have to wait a while before the use year you want is available.

can you elaborate on what you mean incentives or bonuses? also what is use year? that term escapes me right now.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yea, i suppose all of you are right and trust me the house is going to be first and foremost. We did fall further in love with the idea when we took the tour and it was well worth the time to do it. very well presented and the sales person we had was def expertly trained for the best. He took every concern we had and turned it into a benefit of the DVC. We have stayed in DVC rooms the past few trips and feel we are educated enough that its worth it for us

Your instincts are right. It’s probably right for you.

My advice is forget the tour and stare at the hard numbers...what you’ll pay and a guess on how that will compare to non-DVC travel.

Take time to let it breathe.

If you are gonna sweat paying for it AT ALL...the time is probably not right.

It’s a couple weeks a year...in the end. And a “gateway drug” to more spending in a spot that never changes

Good luck any way you go

correcaminos

can you elaborate on what you mean incentives or bonuses? also what is use year? that term escapes me right now.
Use year is when you get your points for the year. For example I have a June use year, and that is when I am able to use all of my points for that year. So specifically, for 2019 I am not there yet. I am still in 2018 UY. I can borrow from 2019 anytime I like though at this time.

I agree, by the house and skip DVC for now. Copper Creek is really close to selling out, and even though it took about six months or so from the last declaration for Polynesian, some use years sold out earlier than others. I would also highly considered looking into resale over direct buys anyway. The exception is if you really do want the new location or if you want a smaller contract. Then you either go with what you can find, were you run numbers and see what works best.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Something that MAY help? NO DVC resort is ever "Sold Out".
Huh?

Sandy & I bought DIRECT from Disney in 2012. 273 points at the "Villas at WL". We added 30 more points, Direct from Disney at BRV about February of 2019.

... "Villas at WL" was, in theory sold out for YEARS before we became DVC Owners. But you see, Disney constantly gets points BACK during ROFR and Foreclosure. So? Decide where you want to STAY, have the upfront CASH (please do not finance :(), CALL, and tell them what you want. The process may take 2-8 months - but you WILL get what you desire.

correcaminos

Something that MAY help? NO DVC resort is ever "Sold Out".
Huh?

Sandy & I bought DIRECT from Disney in 2012. 273 points at the "Villas at WL". We added 30 more points, Direct from Disney at BRV about February of 2019.

... "Villas at WL" was, in theory sold out for YEARS before we became DVC Owners. But you see, Disney constantly gets points BACK during ROFR and Foreclosure. So? Decide where you want to STAY, have the upfront CASH (please do not finance :(), CALL, and tell them what you want. The process may take 2-8 months - but you WILL get what you desire.

Sold out just means you have to go on a wait list. So while it is sold out, you can sometimes get the points. Sometimes at a huge premium. Though some resorts will not take wait lists so they are indeed sold out.

Lensman

Yeah, you have to watch of for these salespeople. Some of them are very good, plus you're vulnerable because they can tell that you want the product. Most people do. So it's just a matter of getting you to do buy something that you want a lot that you just think is a bit pricy.

You haven't said, but what are your thoughts on buying resale?

Here's an example: https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/savings/

Basically, they'll only offer these incentives for the current resort(s) that they are trying to sell. You won't find one for a "sold out" resort. I'm not sure there's one out there for Copper Creek. The last one I know of expired on April 14th.

@helenabear did a good job of describing what "use year", but feel free to ask additional questions. I have to admit that the practical details of how your use year will affect you are pretty complicated, but potentially significant. I find the best way of picking one is to know when you tend to vacation and which peak period you are most likely to occasionally visit and then ask the experts on these or other DVC forums.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom