How much is too much?!!

mfortis

Original Poster
I have a GC DVC reservation for August (hopefully all is open) and I decided to look at tickets for the trip. I was shocked to see the prices! More than $930 for 4 fully loaded one day tickets!
just doesn’t make sense. Throw in another $250 for meals, snacks and junk. Well over $1100 for one day! I need to find another family vacation spot. Or figure out if there are discounts I am missing. And just for shets and giggles I looked at the price of the room, it was $600 for the night.

Mouse Trap

I have a GC DVC reservation for August (hopefully all is open) and I decided to look at tickets for the trip. I was shocked to see the prices! More than $930 for 4 fully loaded one day tickets!
just doesn’t make sense. Throw in another $250 for meals, snacks and junk. Well over $1100 for one day! I need to find another family vacation spot. Or figure out if there are discounts I am missing. And just for shets and giggles I looked at the price of the room, it was $600 for the night.

What's in a fully loaded ticket and where do I order it?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Base ticket $154 + parkhopper $209 + max Pass $229 only duh
Bunch of freaking comedians on this board.
If your reservation is for August when the social distancing guidelines will be in effect, then I would recommend just getting the standard one park ticket not Park Hopper. And they would likely also still be under the only virtual queues no FP configuration, which doesn't require the use of MaxPass.

So there you go, I just saved you at least $300.

But ultimately a DVC member should know the cost of any Disney Park vacation is going to be expensive, so not sure why there is a surprise or even outrage. You bought into the economics of Disney, you should know that going in.

Disneylover152

Books rooms at the most expensive hotel on property but complains about ticket prices... while also getting the most expensive per day ticket option available.

Grand Californian is like the most expensive Disney hotel period.

Base ticket $154 + parkhopper $209 + max Pass $229 only duh
Literally nobody has ever called it a "fully loaded" ticket, you made that up and expected people to just read your mind.

Californian Elitist

Visiting the parks isn’t cheap. Also, staying elsewhere will save you lots of money.

There are plenty of cheaper things to do in Southern California outside of the DLR.

Disneylover152

It is fully possible to have an affordable Disneyland trip.

Stay at a good neighbor hotel, some of them run around $100 per night. Don't upgrade to park hopper, don't add Maxpass. Instead of eating in the park, go across the street to McDonald's or Panera or any of those restaurants. Rather than spending a day at the parks, go rent a car and go SoCal exploring. Contrary to what many people think, much stuff in SoCal is either free or non-expensive. We spent an entire day one trip driving around SoCal and we did not spend a dime outside of In-N-Out. Spend a Day at Knott's instead, or the beach. Limit yourself on souvenirs, my trip in November I limited myself $500 on food & souvenirs for our entire 6-day trip. I didn't go over.

If you budget yourself properly, plan things right and watch your spending, you can easily go on a week-long trip to Disneyland/So Cal for far under $5000 (depending on how many people are in your party).

TP2000

Aren't the ticket prices for WDW parks the same price as Disneyland? I don't think Disneyland is at any sort of meaningfully higher price point compared to WDW, is it?

mfortis

Original Poster
Books rooms at the most expensive hotel on property but complains about ticket prices... while also getting the most expensive per day ticket option available.
I have DVC. Had it since they opened the DVC wing. I had been a annual pass member for the last 5 years, so I never looked at the daily price. Moved out of SoCal this year, but I am going back to visit mom.

mfortis

Original Poster
Visiting the parks isn’t cheap. Also, staying elsewhere will save you lots of money.

There are plenty of cheaper things to do in Southern California outside of the DLR.
Yes. That is why I was only looking for one day at the parks.

mfortis

Original Poster
Aren't the ticket prices for WDW parks the same price as Disneyland? I don't think Disneyland is at any sort of meaningfully higher price point compared to WDW, is it?
True. Pretty much the same. I guess I have never priced out one day tickets at either location. Had annual pass at Disneyland and alway bought at least a 4 day ticket at WDW.

PiratesMansion

I've found WDW tickets to be more expensive on average.

A recent example: when I was pricing out tickets for a WDW vet friend in January (pre-price increase), trying to convince her to come out west, I was looking at 5 day hoppers at DLR vs. WDW, in both cases direct from Disney. DLR's tickets were over $100 cheaper per person for the exact same ticket.

Of course, WDW has a much more elaborate date-priced system that extends to multi-day tickets, and WDW tickets are taxed, so that plays a role too in making them more expensive.

TP2000

True. Pretty much the same. I guess I have never priced out one day tickets at either location. Had annual pass at Disneyland and alway bought at least a 4 day ticket at WDW.

Ah. Perhaps that's where the disconnect is coming from? The Disneyland Annual Pass for the past 15 years has been the absolute best entertainment bargain on the planet.

To go from that to try buying an AP-like experience for just one or two days can easily be a price shock.

But at least now you know how Oregonians feel. 🤣

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom