How much is too much?

wvdisneyfamily

How much is TOO much to spend on a Walt Disney World vacation? My family and friends (some of which are Disney fans) often gasp at the amount my husband and I are willing to spend on a WDW trip. I often get the reply that other vacations are more economical or if you cut your trip length back at WDW you could save money. It's not so much an amount for my husband and me. We question what is the amount of the trip compared to our annual income. I mean there are limits for us like NEVER going on a trip we can't pay for before we go. I couldn't finance a vacation like a house or a car over a multi year loan or something. What do you think? How much is TOO much on a WDW vacation?:veryconfu

michelle_sydney

I don't think there is too much! Why put a price on magic and great memories? As long as you don't put yourself in debt trying to go on a vaction I think you are fine! :king:

Upvote 0

disneytopdog

I set a limit for $200 a day per person. This years disney trip due to the free dining came to $138.93 per person. 7 days 6 nights at a moderate, 7 day park hopper(I hate water parks).

Upvote 0

mousefan1972

How much is TOO much to spend on a Walt Disney World vacation? My family and friends (some of which are Disney fans) often gasp at the amount my husband and I are willing to spend on a WDW trip. I often get the reply that other vacations are more economical or if you cut your trip length back at WDW you could save money. It's not so much an amount for my husband and me. We question what is the amount of the trip compared to our annual income. I mean there are limits for us like NEVER going on a trip we can't pay for before we go. I couldn't finance a vacation like a house or a car over a multi year loan or something. What do you think? How much is TOO much on a WDW vacation?:veryconfu

Only you and your husband know what you can or can't afford... next time you're asked how much your next WDW vacation is costing you, smile sweetly and say "enough!".
BTW, to answer your last question... I agree with Brer Dad!! :animwink:

Upvote 0

DABIGCHEEZ

The first time we arrived at the Orlando airport(20 or so years ago), we heard this LOUD sound sort of like a huge jet engine only LOUDER. I thought it must be one of the newer jets taking off and no big deal. But, as we drove down the highway, we still heard it and it just got LOUDER. Each morning of vacation.. I didn't hear it but as the day went on again I started to hear it and again it would get LOUDER as each day got later. On our last day I realized that WDW must have a very large armada of Super Dooper Industrial Strength Money Vacs hidden in various backstage areas that they turned on each morning right before my breakfast and waited til I was asleep each night to shut them all off. But that being said..........................................
we have been going most years since and they still have them, although advances in technology make them just about silent today and most people can't even hear them. :lol:

And I am proud to say I'll again try to find their hidden location this year!!!! So as long I don't have to take out a 2nd mortgage, or tap into the college funds, we will be going to WDW. Besides the kids look forward to it each year.

Upvote 0

MsSnuzi

I agree - it's an individual thing. I don't think anyone can really say how much is too much for someone else to spend. Sounds like you are handling it the right way, not going into debt and still enjoying the Magic your way.

Upvote 0

wvdisneyfamily

Original Poster
The first time we arrived at the Orlando airport(20 or so years ago), we heard this LOUD sound sort of like a huge jet engine only LOUDER. I thought it must be one of the newer jets taking off and no big deal. But, as we drove down the highway, we still heard it and it just got LOUDER. Each morning of vacation.. I didn't hear it but as the day went on again I started to hear it and again it would get LOUDER as each day got later. On our last day I realized that WDW must have a very large armada of Super Dooper Industrial Strength Money Vacs hidden in various backstage areas that they turned on each morning right before my breakfast and waited til I was asleep each night to shut them all off. But that being said..........................................
we have been going most years since and they still have them, although advances in technology make them just about silent today and most people can't even hear them. :lol:

And I am proud to say I'll again try to find their hidden location this year!!!! So as long I don't have to take out a 2nd mortgage, or tap into the college funds, we will be going to WDW. Besides the kids look forward to it each year.

FUNNY!!!:ROFLOL: :ROFLOL:

The cost of Disney (or any vacation) is like an investment for me. Many people invest in really expensive homes and cars. Nothing wrong with that if it's your cup of tea. I just would rather have a nice home and nice vehicles that don't strap me so much financially I can't do other things like vacation (if that makes sense). I would rather put my money to use for experiences that will last long after cars and other material items are gone.
What really got me to thinking about how much is too much was a quote I heard on the Travel Channel. It was something like adults spend thousands of dollars every year to make Disney dreams come true. I guess its true.

Upvote 0

raven

I set a limit for $200 a day per person...

$200!! :eek:

Wouldn't happen to have room in your family for me, would you? :kiss:

After tickets and the resort, I'd say we usually spend around $20-$50 per person per day. We don't really buy things anymore since we go all the time. Once in a while we might see a shirt that we want. But the money is basically for food. This next trip in September though is paid in full now after the free food plan. We upgraded our resort (mainly due because of noise and the long lines for Pop Century last September) and we know it will be worth it. So now the only thing we need money for is whatever we want to buy.

Upvote 0

macsmom

Last year, I had $100 a day to spend. This year, it will be closer to $50, but I also get free dining. As soon as I come home, I will start saving for my next trip and however much I save, that is what I will be spending next year!

danna

Upvote 0

LeeLee D

Just last month I had to take a loan out against my house to make repairs - leaky roof. I had several friends who urged me to take out more than I did to "really do your house up". I didn't because it would have forced me to eliminate saving for Disney each month. I would not have been able to go as often and certainly wouldn't get to go for a week in the summer.

My point? It's a matter of personal choice. I would rather have time with The Mouse than have a tour-worthy home. My friends think I'm weird, but most of them aren't Disneyers.:animwink:

Upvote 0

bigorangeandy

As long as you are living within your means, what should it matter to "other" people, how much or little you spend. By not having the new cars and big house you have money to spend on things that you enjoy, and thats great!

Upvote 0

LoriMistress

It all depends if you and your family CAN afford to go to WDW. I believe lots (not all but a good majority) take expensive trips (like WDW), when they clearly cannot afford it.

I did some math on what we spent on our last trip to WDW and what we spent now and how much we saved.

For our trip from November 9th to 15th 2003 we bought our hotel/tickets/airfair through Expedia and spent $1,877.16 (7 PH Water Park & More tickets/ASMu). On top of that we paid $56 for Mears and hand $750 to our name (food/suvineers/etc.) So total on the trip was ($1933.16 if you don't include food/suvineers); $2683.16, which wasn't bad...for a first time.

This time around:

* Our airfair will be free since my parents are paying for our roundtrip flight for a Christmas present.
* Two Adults 10 Day PH Tickets for $529
* Four PI tickets total $68; Two DQ tickets total $58.
* 11 night stay at Pop Century $65.60 per night; total $811.80
* Cirque Du Soleil® La NouBa two adult tickets total $152.
* MVMCP (total four adult tickets) $170.20.
* Sunray Transporation (RT total including tax etc.) $82
Total costs (not including food and suvineers): $1871!!!!

If I didn't spend the extra money on PI, DQ, MVMCP, or Cirque Du Soleil tickets...I know I would be saving more money...but I wouldn't be having as much fun. Though, I'm going to be adding Photopass to our trip (pre-ordering ours), and booking a ressie for horse carriage ride through the WL after our dinner for Artist Point.

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

How much is TOO much on a WDW vacation?:veryconfu

Its a question about variables.
First off - how much does it cost to GET to WDW (We have to pay between £500 - £800 PER PERSON for flights).
Where do you stay - on / off property, Value / Moderate / Deluxe.
How long are you going for
Finally, how many of those going are actually contributing towards the costs (children / unemployed adults).

I'll never travel to WDW without having saved the money to pay for it (I could borrow but that adds an additional cost when you return)

Upvote 0

Disneybub

My partner and myself are taking my parents and we've sent an amount of $300 a day, but thats only because i intend to spoil them, everyone is different, you dont need to spent money to feel the magic (- after you get in the park that is :animwink: )

Upvote 0

barnum42

IF Cost Of Vacation > Money Available To You After Paying Everyday Bills = Too Much.

THEN (Cost Of Vacation - Flashy Hotel) + More Moderate HOTEL SOULD < Money Available To You After Paying Everyday Bills

:)

Upvote 0

PanfanAL

To me a Disney vacation, or any vacation for that matter, is an investment. An investment in my family. Because for me, some of the best memories I have from growing up are the trips we took together as a family. And I want that for my family now. Those memories to me are just like Mastercard says "Priceless". So if I can afford it, I am going to do it.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom