How much $ is to much $ to charge for stuff.

philcan

Original Poster
I recently got back forom a fun trip but spent a lot less $ than I thought I would. How? I voted with my $. After saving for 2 years & building up a lot of points on our Chase card we had close to $600.00 to spend on stuff for our trip. However, I saw the big price hikes & said no I'm not spending $40. for a shirt that I know used ot be $35. or $30. for one that was $25. There were some shirts a little lower but it seems the only ones I liked were only available in Small Medium or Large. Sorry I'm a guy tha t wears XL. Maybe they should have sizes for most of the people in the parks not the sizes they want people to be. Maybe just do a better job of stocking all sizes. I don't fault Disney you price what the market will get you but I do the same with my $. My wife got a few things & we got some things for the kids but we ended up spending most points on server tips & even came home with a few points. I had thought we would have gone over what we had. I guess we start saving for the next trip or Christmas. so i guess when is it too much. Will the people that decide not to buy have abn effect on those that keep buying. If crazy proces for concert tickets are any indication it's a no. I don't see myslef on the winning side of this but I also did not buy a $40. shirt I will wear only a few times.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
When NO ONE spends their $ on those things that is when Disney will bring down the $. But that is unlikely to happen as people enjoy spending their $ on those things.

Personally I have found that I spend less and less $ on souvenirs because I really don't need them.
As for Disney clothing items I've found so many cute things on Etsy that, that is now where I spend my $ for unique souvenirs.

I also think that the more I go the less I feel I need to spend for things and now spend that $ on experiences instead.

Bartledvd

We have rule of only buying souvenirs on the last day if the kids/wife want it enough to wait up to 14 days then we buy it.

But we have never purchased any clothing at disney can get nicer licensed things for a fraction of the price here in the uk at almost any high street store.

Would be nice if enough people voted with their wallet and Disney responded.

jleslie48

it's called capitalism. if it cost too much it won't sell. its that simple hemming and hawing about it is pointless. Same goes for the price of tickets. Personally I'd be happy with double price ticket days. $200 a day to enter the park. Then I won't have to think twice about fast pass or dinner reservations.

eliza61nyc

One man's trash is another man's treasure. How much is too much? when the stuff stops selling.

First, people tend to spend more on vacation stuff than they do in normal every day life. Whether it's Disney or an Island in the caribbean, souvenirs are marked up.

Next "expensive" is in the eye of the beholder lol. seriously. I know that sounds bad but there are folks who plan shopping into their vacations and live for DTD.

now you want to see shocking?? I've posted this before but I took this picture because I could not believe the price of this thing.

DSC_0181.JPG

yet my brother has 2 granddaughters who are his world so yep he kicked out a ridiculous amount of money to have tea with his grandbabies.

lol I remember our first trip to the world. we spent money on mickey ears with our names engraved on them. by the end of the day all 4 of us had lost those mickey ears.
Now generally I don't buy many souvies, the older I get the less junk I want. If I see something interesting with a dvc logo I'll pick it up. usually it's a coffee mug or something for the kitchen.

Lastly, a person prior traveling experience may come into play. A person who vacations in big cities like NYC or Paris would not find a 40 dollar sticker all that shocking. A family that does a beach vacation might although that too may not be too surprising.

Last edited:

JIMINYCR

Every time Im in the various shops theres never been a shortage of lines of guests handing their money over. Your decision to buy less only means theres more available on the shelf for the next guy. Even the high end gifts that Id never be able to afford, move. I read that they sell quite a few of the the Arribas brothers crystal castles that go for $37,500.00

eliza61nyc

As far as over priced T-shirts etc. I'm not getting those, they are stupid looking when you get home and no ones cares you went Disney World.

I'm pretty much that way anything. No matter who you are you have a budget if you don't use it wisely you will end up with a bunch of worthless crap and you will be broke. Look to Hollywood for real life examples, very public examples.

I buy and wear souvenir tee-shirts. I love them, and honestly, they're no more expensive than at some other heavily touristy places. It's most everything else that is overpriced. Their plush especially.

And this is the great thing about capitalism and marketing. One poster feels tee shirts are overpriced and stupid. another person visiting the very same place loves souvenir tee shirts.

JIMINYCR

I buy and wear souvenir tee-shirts. I love them, and honestly, they're no more expensive than at some other heavily touristy places. It's most everything else that is overpriced. Their plush especially.
I only wish they lasted longer. The fabric they use now is much lighter/ less durable that the t's we got many years ago. I still have some from those years that still get worn.

J_Carioca

We buy some stuff on every trip, but we tend to buy less now than we did a few years ago. For two reasons: the prices have gone up and we already have SO MUCH STUFF. The way of the Western world.

Where I have decided to vote with my money is with respect to add-ons. We were there at Christmas last year and decided not to shell out for the Christmas party. We also decided not to shell out for the after-dark park specials or whatever they're called. And we won't do the Halloween party again. I really do think it's getting out of hand and it just promotes an attitude that I'm not comfortable with. To me, being at WDW is already special enough; you shouldn't need to add extras on to it. We're already spending a ton on our regular park tickets, we don't need to spend more.

Kingoglow

Disney does stock all size. Your problem is that lots of people are buying up your size of T-shirts. That's why you can' find your size. They are gone as soon as they are stocked. Even at prices that you wont pay - everyone is gobbling it up.

Weather_Lady

We are just not big souvenir shoppers, regardless of the destination, and Disney World's prices for merchandise are generally beyond our tolerance. Other than food (and a box of Goofy taffy for the pet-sitter as a thank-you gift), we don't buy much of anything in the parks. If we want Disney T-shirts, we get them on sale ahead of time. The Disney Store website always has some good stuff on clearance and often a free shipping deal, and we get a modest additional discount if I pay with our Disney VISA.

Disney.Mike

I'm a sucker for things that are limited runs, or have the year on them. For example I have tons of Christmas tree ornaments with the year on them. We also normally buy a photo album and a couple of frames with the year on them as well.

I used to buy alot of shirts and hoodies, but the past 5 years or so I've moved away from that and into buying home deco type stuff.

BraveGirl

I learned how to do fancy hairstyles on my girls, bought them $14 Disney hair extensions and brought their costumes from home each trip...literally saved thousands over the years in bibidi bobiti boutique expenses.

Janir

And this is the great thing about capitalism and marketing. One poster feels tee shirts are overpriced and stupid. another person visiting the very same place loves souvenir tee shirts.
I'm one of them. I loves me my Disney tee shirts. I'll get one or two on a trip and a set of ears and generally that's about it. I treat them nice and hang them in my closet (vs folding and creasing in the dresser) This time around I'm planning a Character Warehouse trip on the first day to see if there are any discount clothing to be had.
I will say the Mickey pants underwear is the more comfortable I've ever owned. Worth the $25 for them. I'd buy a drawer full of them if I could afford to. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom