how many days to spend at universal

Livelovedisney

Original Poster
Hi everyone, we are thinking about going this summer. We will have three adults( DH, MIL, and me) along with our two children (ages 6 and 3). Since we won't be able to do half the rides in each park, would we be able to get through most of the attractions if we only spend a day in each park?

Bairstow

Hi everyone, we are thinking about going this summer. We will have three adults( DH, MIL, and me) along with our two children (ages 6 and 3). Since we won't be able to do half the rides in each park, would we be able to get through most of the attractions if we only spend a day in each park?

Oh definitely.
Both parks are very thrill and coaster-heavy, so if you're not going to be devoting time to those attractions you'll be able to cruise through both of them in 2 days with no trouble.

matt clark

my kid is 4, but hes a monster.
he is over 48 inches tall.
but, i would think the 6 year old could do most everything and they have the child swap deal.
you will probably be able to do a lot more than you realize.

SteamboatJoe

If you've got little kids, I would think that you could potentially see everything you want to see in both parks in one day but since you are going during peak season, you may need two but to me it's borderline. Neither of main Harry Potter attractions will be tame enough for your kids but you will at least be able to do some shopping, eating, and a little wand magic if you're willing to invest in the interactive wands. Your 6 year old may be able to do the Flight of Hippogriff roller coaster in Hogsmeade. The most enjoyable part of the park for your kids will probably be the Dr. Seuss area. Lots of bright colors and kid-friendly attractions.

matt clark

Considering Flight of the Hippogriff is a 36" height requirement- I'd say a 6 year old should absolutely be able to ride it- not "may". In fact, a 3 year old likely could (avg height of North American on their third birthday is 37". A 6 yr old is 42").

Also- my 6 year old (on her 6th birthday) was just at 48". So we did Forbidden Journey (48) and Gringotts (42)- she loved both. Some kids might get scared, some might not. You know your kids and their temperaments better than any of us, so just plan accordingly. It's not "one size fits all". Theres not a ton to do for a 3 yr old ride or show-wise like Magic Kingdom would have, but my 2 yr old still had a blast just looking around. In fact, I'd argue there is substantially more for a 3 yr old to do at both IOA and USF than DHS and Epcot.

im happy YOU said it.

princesscaitlin92

i know during the summer it can be pretty busy, but what i found to be PERFECT in november was planning an extra day for the amount of parks there are. so for universal, since there are 2 parks, we got a 3 day ticket. for disney, there are 4 parks and we got a 5 day ticket. whichever park we felt like we missed some rides, we went back on the extra day.

StingraySam

I think with the party you have described it is reasonable to assume you will NOT be able to do "everything" in two days, particularly since you will be going during the summer when the crowds are quite high. In fact in my opinion (and this is my opinion and many will disagree) that inorder to do "everything" in both parks in two days would be quite a task even on a moderate day. Now I consider "everything" as ALL rides and ALL shows.

Now from what you have described as already knowing that your group will have limitations on attractions I do believe it is possible to everything you may "want" to do. I would suggest though have a good idea of what everyone expects and what everyones priorities are before you get to the park. I have been going to both parks for many years. Quite a few times I have been with others that had no idea what the parks were like and they had an attitude of "no problem, we can knock this park out in a half day" so I have let them lead the way only to the see the deer in the headlights look when asked what they would like to do next after an attraction. They end up wasting more time trying to decide what to do next then actually doing anything at all. I am not saying you need to have a laid out plan of attack or that I am an expert of these parks, I learn something new and what not to do everytime I go. I just think everyone needs to have reasonable expections. Go with the flow and you will be alright.

Last edited:

Figgy1

Premium Member
I think with the party you have described it is reasonable to assume you will NOT be able to do "everything" in two days, particularly since you will be going during the summer when the crowds are quite high. In fact in my opinion (and this is my opinion and many will disagree) that inorder to do "everything" in both parks in two days would be quite a task even on a moderate day. Now I consider "everything" as ALL rides and ALL shows.

Now from what you have described as already knowing that your group will have limitations on attractions I do believe it is possible to everything you may "want" to do. I would suggest though have a good idea of what everyone expects and what everyones priorities are before you get to the park. I have been going to both parks for many years. Quite a few times I have been with others that had no idea what the parks were like and they had an attitude of "no problem, we can knock this park out in a half day" so I have let them lead the way only to the see the deer in the headlights look when asked what they would like to do next after an attraction. They end up wasting more time trying to decide what to do next then actually doing anything at all. I am not saying you need to have a laid out plan of attack or that I am an expert of these parks, I learn something new and what not to do everytime I go. I just think everyone needs to have reasonable expections. Go with the flow and you will be alright.
With time not being an issue, how long would you say it would take to see EVERYTHING in midAugust no EP? THNX

StingraySam

With time not being an issue, how long would you say it would take to see EVERYTHING in midAugust no EP? THNX

Let me start by stating that this is my opinion based in my experiences. I welcome all others opinions, perspectives and criticisms.

Mid-August is a transitional time for crowd levels. The schools in Florida are starting back up at this time so mid-week crowds can be lighter than the weekends when locals and residents are trying to get in that last weekend before going back to school. So I would consider Mid-August as moderately busy but not crazy like spring break.

One thing you do not mention is how many would be in your party? This can make a big difference in how you get through not only these parks but any park. I have based my opinion on our group now which is usually between 2-5. When it is just me and my wife we can do a lot more than when it is the rest of my family (all teenagers now but when they were younger it was a completely different dynamic). Considering this, I think three days could get it done at a reasonable pace. Two full days in each park from opening to close and a third day to get to things that you may have missed or would like to do again. Now this is to do "EVERYTHING".

Why do I think this and how did I come up with 2-3 days?
One thing that has always thrown my time management out the door has been doing shows that are at a scheduled time. You would think that this would be helpful but unfortunately for me it never seems to fail that I have just gotten off an attraction and noticed that Fear Factor will be starting in 30 minutes but there isn't a ride close by without a wait time of less than 30-45 minutes. So now I either have to wait for another Fear Factor show later in the day or wait 30 minutes on this show. Now what do I do for 30 minutes, maybe go get a a pretzel. Some simple math, and I know this is painting a broad brush on wait times but just go with me here for a minute. Universal Studios has 12 rides. At just a moderate wait time of 30-45 minutes per ride that's a total 6-9 hours just waiting in line. Add about 5 minutes per ride there is another hour. Now add a few shows Horror Makeup Show, Fear Factor and Teminator at 1 hour each you are now at 10-13 hours and you haven't stopped for lunch or dinner or stopped along the way to just take in the sights and sounds, or get my pretzel. Now these numbers can easily be debated but I think you can see where I am coming from without going into a lot of detail. To do "EVERYTHING" it will easily take 2-3 days. Now does the average person do "EVERYHTING"? Probably not so a well planned out day could be done in 2 days but if you have never been there before and do not plan on returning anytime soon why put that stress upon yourself.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Let me start by stating that this is my opinion based in my experiences. I welcome all others opinions, perspectives and criticisms.

Mid-August is a transitional time for crowd levels. The schools in Florida are starting back up at this time so mid-week crowds can be lighter than the weekends when locals and residents are trying to get in that last weekend before going back to school. So I would consider Mid-August as moderately busy but not crazy like spring break.

One thing you do not mention is how many would be in your party? This can make a big difference in how you get through not only these parks but any park. I have based my opinion on our group now which is usually between 2-5. When it is just me and my wife we can do a lot more than when it is the rest of my family (all teenagers now but when they were younger it was a completely different dynamic). Considering this, I think three days could get it done at a reasonable pace. Two full days in each park from opening to close and a third day to get to things that you may have missed or would like to do again. Now this is to do "EVERYTHING".

Why do I think this and how did I come up with 2-3 days?
One thing that has always thrown my time management out the door has been doing shows that are at a scheduled time. You would think that this would be helpful but unfortunately for me it never seems to fail that I have just gotten off an attraction and noticed that Fear Factor will be starting in 30 minutes but there isn't a ride close by without a wait time of less than 30-45 minutes. So now I either have to wait for another Fear Factor show later in the day or wait 30 minutes on this show. Now what do I do for 30 minutes, maybe go get a a pretzel. Some simple math, and I know this is painting a broad brush on wait times but just go with me here for a minute. Universal Studios has 12 rides. At just a moderate wait time of 30-45 minutes per ride that's a total 6-9 hours just waiting in line. Add about 5 minutes per ride there is another hour. Now add a few shows Horror Makeup Show, Fear Factor and Teminator at 1 hour each you are now at 10-13 hours and you haven't stopped for lunch or dinner or stopped along the way to just take in the sights and sounds, or get my pretzel. Now these numbers can easily be debated but I think you can see where I am coming from without going into a lot of detail. To do "EVERYTHING" it will easily take 2-3 days. Now does the average person do "EVERYHTING"? Probably not so a well planned out day could be done in 2 days but if you have never been there before and do not plan on returning anytime soon why put that stress upon yourself.
Thank you. 4 of us 2 adults 2 boys over 14. When i say everything I mean everything. My boys are major Potterheads, so everything Potter at least 3 times. We have 7 days so I'm hoping even with shopping that's enough time.

StingraySam

Thank you. 4 of us 2 adults 2 boys over 14. When i say everything I mean everything. My boys are major Potterheads, so everything Potter at least 3 times. We have 7 days so I'm hoping even with shopping that's enough time.

Seven days I believe will be more than enough time. You should be able to do things many times over and explore the parks with great detail.

Are you staying on-site?
You originally mentioned no Express Pass so I assume you are either staying at Caban Bay, Sapphire Falls or off-site. We have found staying on-site to be a big plus. Even staying at Cabana Bay without the Express Pass is worth it to me. The luxury of walking to and from the resort and not having to deal with the parking is such a pleasure.

Last edited:

Figgy1

Premium Member
Seven days I believe will be more than enough time. You should be able to do things many times over and explore the parks with great detail.

Are you staying on-site?
You originally mentioned no Express Pass so I assume you are either staying at Caban Bay, Sapphire Falls or off-site. We have found staying on-site to be a big plus. Even staying at Cabana Bay without the Express Pass is worth it to me. The luxury of walking to and from the resort and not having to deal with the parking was such a pleasure.
Off site. On site was way out of our budget. 2 rooms eeek!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom