• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

How many days in DL?

WildernessLodge

Original Poster
When you go to DL Resort, what's your itinerary usually like? I've only been to DL Park for one day before so I've never done multiple days. Right now, our itinerary looks like this:

SAT
Travel (land at LAX)
Uber to DL Resort
Downtown Disney

SUN
Disneyland Park

MON
CA Adventure

TUES
Disneyland Park

WED
Uber to LA (we are spending the rest of the week in LA).

What do you guys think of this? We are planning to get hoppers as well.

CaptainAmerica

Advertisement
We're getting ready for our first trip, so you won't want to take my advice, but my perspective is that it's a huge commitment to fly coast-to-coast and I don't know when, if ever, we'll go back. We also tour very slowly because we have two small daughters so there is a lot of rider swapping, naps, and early bed times. We're going for a full seven nights.

Rich T

A typical trip for my family goes like this (we're Californians):

Day 1: Drive all night from Northern CA to avoid hell-on-Earth LA freeway traffic. Eat at Anaheim Denny's and check into hotel (these days it's usually Paradise Pier). Spend most of the day at the parks.
DAYS 2 & 3 Rope-drop both mornings, spend all day at the parks.
DAY 4: Breakfast at hotel: Drive home.

We stay at Paradise Pier to get the Early entry--Otherwise we'd probably never see Peter Pan. :D We always get park-hoppers, and basically treat both parks and DTD like one huge park, nearly always ending our day at DL in New Orleans Square or Fantasyland. We usually just "wing-it" and don't plan anything beyond 1) ALWAYS being one of the first in the gate, 2) Make good use of Maxpass (previously Fastpass) and single-rider lines 3) Stay together most of the time, but split up in mid-afternoon and late-evening for personal-faves-no-one-else-likes. Eat most meals together.

The parades, fireworks and shows aren't a big deal to us. We try to minimize packed-mob time. :D We'd rather ride the Mad Tea Party and several other rides together than wait around for World of Color or Fantasmic.

WildernessLodge

Original Poster
I only get to go every couple years so I like five days, because I feel like I can actually relax.
That would be awesome! We are only going to LA from Sat to Sun (8 nights) and I really love LA + my bf wants to do Universal Studios (I don't lol) so I def need time to explore the city and do Universal. I'm thinking 3 full days at DLR - 2 at DL Park and 1 at DCA. We're getting hoppers so we can bounce around on that third day if needed!

McPhoenix

We've been gradually increasing the lengths of our stays over time. Recently we did our first 4-day visit (going back and forth between the two parks, but no time at all in Downtown Disney) and I left still feeling like it wasn't quite enough time. That's with two small kids.

JillC LI

We went for the first time in 2014, and DLR was part of a bigger trip to the LA area for us. One full day in each park was plenty for us. Did we do everything? No. We skipped certain attractions, all sit down meals, and all character meetings, but we were able to do all our favorites as well as everything unique to DLR vs WDW.

WildernessLodge

Original Poster
As of right now, here's our plan:

DAY 1 (Sat)
Fly into LAX at 11:45a
Take Disney's bus to DLR
Check into hotel
dinner at Napa Rose (reservation)
Downtown Disney
drinks at Trader Sam's

DAY 2 (Sun)
Disneyland
-Breakfast: something quick (any suggestions?)
-Lunch: Carnation Cafe
-Dinner: Blue Bayou (reservation)

DAY 3 (Mon)
CA Adventure
-Breakfast: something quick (suggestions?)
-Lunch: Wine Country Trattoria OR Lamp Light Lounge (preference?)
-Dinner: Carthay Circle

DAY 4 (Tues)
Disneyland
-Lunch: Tropical Hideaway
-Dinner: Cafe Orleans

DAY 5 (Wed):
Breakfast: White Water Snacks in Grand Californian
Check-out of hotel

We do have hopper tickets btw. Would love any advice or feedback on this schedule from the experts. Thanks!

Phrubruh

DAY 1 (Sat)
Take Disney's bus to DLR
Check into hotel
Downtown Disney
drinks at Trader Sam's

DAY 2 (Sun)
Disneyland

DAY 3 (Mon)
CA Adventure

DAY 4 (Tues)
Disneyland

DAY 5 (Wed):
Check-out of hotel

We do have hopper tickets btw. Would love any advice or feedback on this schedule from the experts. Thanks!
That is going to be one expensive food bill.

mickEblu

DAY 1 (Sat)
Take Disney's bus to DLR
Check into hotel
Downtown Disney
drinks at Trader Sam's

DAY 2 (Sun)
Disneyland

DAY 3 (Mon)
CA Adventure

DAY 4 (Tues)
Disneyland

DAY 5 (Wed):
Check-out of hotel

For a quick breakfast @ Disneyland, the egg and bacon croissants at Jolly Holiday are a good choice. I’ve never had breakfast at DCA but people seemed to like Flo’s before they changed their menu. Not sure if that’s still the case.

I haven’t been to Lamplight but I think it would be more of a unique dining experience than the generic, mediocre stuff they serve up at the Wine Trattoria.

PiratesMansion

Personally, I think you have too many table service meals. There's lots of great counter service options (Plaza Inn, potentially Jolly Holiday, Garden Grill, Pacific Wharf Cafe, Red Rose Tavern) that shouldn't be overlooked, as DLR is generally has much stronger counter service than WDW. Lamplight and Carthay did not impress me (although Carthay at least was a cool experience).

I feel like this was maybe said somewhere in another thread, but is there a particular reason you're starting with Napa Rose? You might be setting yourself up for disappointment later on in your trip.

Phrubruh

I think that no matter where @WildernessLodge eats, she needs to stay away from Tiffs and Captain Kids. The salmonella will put a stop to the entire vacation. Her stomach is safer at the Vietnamese restaurant down in GG then those places.

WildernessLodge

Original Poster
Personally, I think you have too many table service meals. There's lots of great counter service options (Plaza Inn, potentially Jolly Holiday, Garden Grill, Pacific Wharf Cafe, Red Rose Tavern) that shouldn't be overlooked, as DLR is generally has much stronger counter service than WDW. Lamplight and Carthay did not impress me (although Carthay at least was a cool experience).

I feel like this was maybe said somewhere in another thread, but is there a particular reason you're starting with Napa Rose? You might be setting yourself up for disappointment later on in your trip.
It makes sense to us to eat there on a night when we aren't in a park. It'll give us more time and we can dress appropriately.

Disney Irish Bruh

If you're looking for other places to eat dinner that includes a "show", checkout Medieval Times. Its in Buena Park which is a short drive from Disneyland. I've done it a bunch of times and its always a great time. Now there is also Pirates Dinner Adventure which is also in Buena Park down the street from Medieval Times. I've never actually done it, but I hear its pretty good.

WildernessLodge

Original Poster
If you're looking for other places to eat dinner that includes a "show", checkout Medieval Times. Its in Buena Park which is a short drive from Disneyland. I've done it a bunch of times and its always a great time. Now there is also Pirates Dinner Adventure which is also in Buena Park down the street from Medieval Times. I've never actually done it, but I hear its pretty good.
I did Midieval Times in Orlando, is it the same thing?

Top Bottom